How To Transfer Ownership By Proxy - Tell Me Please!

Hi all.

I have a new hobby - reading about the legalities of the Thai vehicle registration process. It seems cloudy enough when the bike is legally registered, never mind when it's an import.

So leaving imports aside, I've been trying to figure out how to buy a bike somewhere else then get it registered in my name in the region where I live. As far as I'm aware it needs some kind of proxy statement by the owner - power of attorney? Plus some kind of transfer form?

So with this in mind, could some kind soul lay-out for me step-by-step the process I need to go through when buying a bike away from home. As in . . .

Step 1. Hand over money, get bike with green book and sale receipt.

Step 2. also get signed and witnessed . . . . . what!?

Step 3. Take these to local vehicle/land authority and then . . . ?

I've seen links to such documents somewhere. But if folks who have done this - or do this regularly - can put me straight it would be a weight off my mind.

(And if anyone is selling a Virago 535 then let me know. I want one.)

Cheers!

Rob

Well, I am in the process now, so here is what I did this time. Bought a bike with green book. Got a receipt (standard Thai language vehicle purchase form, anyone who sells a vehicle will have it) filled out in Thai, signed by me and the seller and a witness. Got a copy of the owner's Thai ID card and house registration, both must be signed. You must register the vehicle in your (or someone else's) name before their ID card expires.

For the rest, I use my insurance company, as they only charge me 300 baht, and it is worth it. I have done it myself, and it takes several hours. I wanted to see the process, now I know, and I pay them to do it for me.

The process is they take the green book, sales receipt, seller's ID card and house registry, signed copy of your passport to the Department of Land Transport. This can be done in any province. The DLT may want to inspect the bike's serial numbers to match the book and check the database to ensure it isn't stolen. Fill out the ownership transfer form (Thai language only) available at the DLT office. Once that is done, the DLT keeps the book to update it, it usually takes about a week, and they will have the green book ready with your name in it. The charge depends on the purchase price of the bike and the CC size of the motor. For a 400 CC Virago, expect about 2000 baht or so. That's it. You don't actually need to be there at any stage.

So for me, the girl at the insurance company is a little cutie, so I had her hop on the back of my bike and take me to the local DLT. This was in Kanchanaburi. The inspection and signoff took 5 minutes. Got her phone number and the rest is history. I wouldn't have done any of this myself, but she loved my matte black sport bike and wanted a ride on it. All that is left is they pick up the green book from the DLT and they can either mail it to me or I can go pick it up. Obviously, I will pick it up and see the girl again.

Hope this helps!

Edited by floridaguy
  • Like 1

So for me, the girl at the insurance company is a little cutie, so I had her hop on the back of my bike and take me to the local DLT. This was in Kanchanaburi. The inspection and signoff took 5 minutes. Got her phone number and the rest is history. I wouldn't have done any of this myself, but she loved my matte black sport bike and wanted a ride on it. All that is left is they pick up the green book from the DLT and they can either mail it to me or I can go pick it up. Obviously, I will pick it up and see the girl again.

LMAO :D

• Like 1

Well, I am in the process now, so here is what I did this time. Bought a bike with green book. Got a receipt (standard Thai language vehicle purchase form, anyone who sells a vehicle will have it) filled out in Thai, signed by me and the seller and a witness. Got a copy of the owner's Thai ID card and house registration, both must be signed. You must register the vehicle in your (or someone else's) name before their ID card expires.

For the rest, I use my insurance company, as they only charge me 300 baht, and it is worth it. I have done it myself, and it takes several hours. I wanted to see the process, now I know, and I pay them to do it for me.

The process is they take the green book, sales receipt, seller's ID card and house registry, signed copy of your passport to the Department of Land Transport. This can be done in any province. The DLT may want to inspect the bike's serial numbers to match the book and check the database to ensure it isn't stolen. Fill out the ownership transfer form (Thai language only) available at the DLT office. Once that is done, the DLT keeps the book to update it, it usually takes about a week, and they will have the green book ready with your name in it. The charge depends on the purchase price of the bike and the CC size of the motor. For a 400 CC Virago, expect about 2000 baht or so. That's it. You don't actually need to be there at any stage.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, although it doesn't seem to answer my question.

But . . . I'm puzzled. It sounds like both you and the seller are together in the same region where the bike is already registered. The "vehicle purchase form" you talk about (signed/witnessed etc) must actually be the standard "change of vehicle ownership" form. This is all straightforward and just the usual paperwork.

What I am struggling to find out is what steps and documents are needed to buy a bike that's located and registered in Chiang Mai and then transfer the ownership and registration to my name in Surat Thani.

Cheers

R

When I bought my CBR250r(Chonburi), it was from a Thai girl to Thai girl and we didn't need to produce the Tabian Bahn. When I bought VTX1800(Rayong rego) from farang to Thai girl we didn't need Tabian Bahn....or the transfer to Chonburi rego.

The Tabian Bahn is from Phitsanulok anyway!

Hope this helps!

But . . . I'm puzzled. It sounds like both you and the seller are together in the same region where the bike is already registered. The "vehicle purchase form" you talk about (signed/witnessed etc) must actually be the standard "change of vehicle ownership" form. This is all straightforward and just the usual paperwork.

What I am struggling to find out is what steps and documents are needed to buy a bike that's located and registered in Chiang Mai and then transfer the ownership and registration to my name in Surat Thani.

Cheers

R

Well, you don't need anything special. Unless you want to change the plate, then you run into a couple of bumps in the road. I bought the bike in Bangkok, registered in Bangkok. I went to Kanchanaburi and put it in my name. My permanent address is in Kanchanaburi. But I didn't change the plate, so it still says Bangkok. All done at the local DLT.

Now a couple of years ago, I bought 2 bikes registered in Bangkok. I didn't like the plates, so I went to the same local DLT in Kanchanaburi and asked to change the plates. Because my permanent address is in Kanchanaburi, they had to change it from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. All the same documents, same procedure, except the book had to go to Bangkok DLT to authenticate and make sure they weren't fake/altered/recycled. I could have had the bikes inspected in either DLT office, but since I live in Bangkok, I took them to the main Bangkok DLT. What a hassle, lines of people, mostly taxis, took forever. Do the inspection locally. Maybe then I could have gotten the same girl to take me to the local one. Oh well.

Both procedures are the same for you. No special documents. It still should only take a week or so.

Hope this helps!

Here are the forms you need including unofficial English translations. Transfer of title and power of attorney.

As mentioned you will need tabien baan or WP or letter confirming residence from immigration or your embassey. You also need signed copies of sellers Thai ID card or passport including current stamps. If you are transferring name using the power of attorney form, the sellers passport copies must show a valid visa/visa exempt stamp in order to change name.

drl6_.pdf

regcar5_.pdf

Power_of_Attorney_EN.pdf

Vehicle_Transfer_Form_EN.pdf

Edited by NomadJoe

Hope this helps!

Cheers

R

Well, you don't need anything special. Unless you want to change the plate, then you run into a couple of bumps in the road. I bought the bike in Bangkok, registered in Bangkok. I went to Kanchanaburi and put it in my name. My permanent address is in Kanchanaburi. But I didn't change the plate, so it still says Bangkok. All done at the local DLT.

Now a couple of years ago, I bought 2 bikes registered in Bangkok. I didn't like the plates, so I went to the same local DLT in Kanchanaburi and asked to change the plates. Because my permanent address is in Kanchanaburi, they had to change it from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. All the same documents, same procedure, except the book had to go to Bangkok DLT to authenticate and make sure they weren't fake/altered/recycled. I could have had the bikes inspected in either DLT office, but since I live in Bangkok, I took them to the main Bangkok DLT. What a hassle, lines of people, mostly taxis, took forever. Do the inspection locally. Maybe then I could have gotten the same girl to take me to the local one. Oh well.

Both procedures are the same for you. No special documents. It still should only take a week or so.

Hope this helps!

So with this in mind, could some kind soul lay-out for me step-by-step the process I need to go through when buying a bike away from home. As in . . .

Step 1. Hand over money, get bike with green book and sale receipt.

Step 2. also get signed and witnessed . . . . . what!?

Step 3. Take these to local vehicle/land authority and then . . . ?

R

[

Here are the forms you need including unofficial English translations. Transfer of title and power of attorney.

As mentioned you will need tabien baan or WP or letter confirming residence from immigration or your embassey. You also need signed copies of sellers Thai ID card or passport including current stamps. If you are transferring name using the power of attorney form, the sellers passport copies must show a valid visa/visa exempt stamp in order to change name.

Oh - thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear - great stuff!

R

Always best to go with seller to the DLT with all the paper work and your $$. Once the LTD says yes book looks fine and your paperwork is in order, then hand over money. This way you avoid any surprises. Learn from my mistakes.

Hi all - and thanks for the info and help.

Reading through the Thai documents and the resulting translations is actually quite difficult - the layout doesn't match, making it hard to work out quite what the Thai docs mean.

Have a look at the Power of Attorney form.

The first part says something like . . . "I, (name)(address).......... acting with authority on behalf of (name)(address).......... authorize and appoint (name)(address).......... to be my lawful representative for the purpose of . . . . . . . . . . .

Anyone explain this?

The "acting with authority on behalf of (name)(address)" part is obviously the seller - the name in the green book. But what should the first name be? Who is acting on behalf of the seller as his legal representative?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robsamui

• 7 years later...
On 5/27/2012 at 8:35 PM, NomadJoe said:

drl6_.pdf 51.56 kB · 465 downloads

regcar5_.pdf 56.72 kB · 364 downloads

Power_of_Attorney_EN.pdf 55.69 kB · 443 downloads

Vehicle_Transfer_Form_EN.pdf 47.09 kB · 478 downloads

Hi, those links to pdf files do not seem to work. Is it possible to check them and post them again?

Many thanks!

On 5/24/2012 at 4:58 PM, robsamui said:

(And if anyone is selling a Virago 535 then let me know. I want one.)

A guy on here (TV) is selling a rare legit 1100 for 200k.

Also just on the first page of HD Playground alone, there are two 750's...

http://www.hd-playground.com/v6/forum/index.php?topic=124988.0

http://www.hd-playground.com/v6/forum/index.php?topic=124974.0

quite like the caff version...

A quick look on Smokybike's website and there are 10, ranging from 250-750cc

https://smokybike.com/type/motorbike/?search[make_id]=19&search[model_id]=589&search[variant_id]=&search[location_id]=&search[price_range]=

And i have'nt even started looking at what Kaidee Mocy has to offer....... (400cc Dragstars)........

https://www.kaidee.com/product-350294090

https://www.kaidee.com/product-350158452