Refrigirator Failing

robblok

I'm not technical at all and i'm inclined to buy a new one. This one is 5 years old and during the flooding i had to move it a few times. After that it has bad spells, sometimes it just starts to freeze all my food. Then its good for a few weeks again.

I haven't changed any settings and its quite annoying to find my milk frozen. The fact that it works good for weeks on end and then has a bad spell again baffels me but gives me a bit of hope it might be fixable.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be and if making it would be feasible. If not ill just go and buy an other one bigger one this time.

The fridge was about 12k or so and 5 years old if i have to spend 5k on it i think i would rather go for a new one.

So i hope some technical guys can advise me a bit, had the gf calling the manufacturer for a mechanic. They never showed up, we could try that a few more time and push them more but sounds like they are not interested in fixing.

I'm not technical about refrigerators at all... However please do be careful, refrigerators that are not working properly can give off poisonous gases if I am correct (don't quote me on it, I just remember my Dad saying something about it)

I think then there would have to be a leak somewhere, that does not seem to be the case because if the gasses are gone it would not work anymore at all. (been this way for a a long enough time months). Just works good for like a month.. then a week of problems then a month good again.

But i just get pissed off with my milk being frozen or the chicken that i put fromt he freezer to the fridge still being frozen after a day (normally that would not be the case). Also fun a can of tuna that is frozen. Not to mention my salad

I'm not technical about refrigerators at all... However please do be careful, refrigerators that are not working properly can give off poisonous gases if I am correct (don't quote me on it, I just remember my Dad saying something about it)

that was on the very very old fridges. On the new one the gas might not be super healthy but it isn't a real problem.

But he has an electronic problem, so no risk on that.

I would not spend too much money on a fix. Because often after 2 month something else brake and after 2 month something more, at the end you spend more than for a new one.

If you need a fridge while you decide if you should fix it or buy a new one:

Put it on a cheap timer, like 15 min run every hour and put a lot water bottles inside (reduces the fluctuation of temperature) (and water freezes before tuna and milk).

So you may be able to keep it running 2 more weeks until you give up waiting for the technician......

I would not spend too much money on a fix. Because often after 2 month something else brake and after 2 month something more, at the end you spend more than for a new one.

If you need a fridge while you decide if you should fix it or buy a new one:

Put it on a cheap timer, like 15 min run every hour and put a lot water bottles inside (reduces the fluctuation of temperature) (and water freezes before tuna and milk).

So you may be able to keep it running 2 more weeks until you give up waiting for the technician......

I was already thinking what you are thinking.. giving up on the thing. According to the gf its 7 years old. Plus i always wanted a bigger one because i buy loads of food and like to go to the makro at times and stock up on frozen things. At the moment its just not big enough unless i go shopping more often. But i don't like that. So all in all i think ill give up.

But i thought if someone suggested that it would be something simple id fix it. I don't want to waste money.

I fixed my uncles by removing a mouse nest from the back once.

Turn it off make sure all vents and channels are clear let it sit for a few hours before trying again. It maybe of some use, but it's probably just failing

I tried that a few times already but thanks for helping its appreciated. I even used my compressor to blow it clean from behind. But there is not much on the back in the way of vents. I am not in the mood or think im qualified enough to start opening it up.

Ill probably donate it to the gf's family (easy way to get rid of it). According to her they don't care as long as it works a bit.

I will just wait for her to come home in a couple of days and go and buy a new one with her. She is good at drawing maps where they have to deliver biggrin.png

Turn it off make sure all vents and channels are clear let it sit for a few hours before trying again. It maybe of some use, but it's probably just failing

I tried that a few times already but thanks for helping its appreciated. I even used my compressor to blow it clean from behind. But there is not much on the back in the way of vents. I am not in the mood or think im qualified enough to start opening it up.

Ill probably donate it to the gf's family (easy way to get rid of it). According to her they don't care as long as it works a bit.

I will just wait for her to come home in a couple of days and go and buy a new one with her. She is good at drawing maps where they have to deliver biggrin.png

All roads in Thailand are perfectly straight, all junctions are perfect right angles and everywhere you want to go is within 5 cm of Big C or Tesco.

All roads in Thailand are perfectly straight, all junctions are perfect right angles and everywhere you want to go is within 5 cm of Big C or Tesco.

Sure im also only 4km from the big C and i already found a model that i like. However im going to consult the GF a bit. I am paying so its ultimately my decision, and i think its just a color issue. Grey ore a nice black one. Though black will mean there will be fingerprints on it quite fast. Besides she can write thai and i cannot plus why not give her the feeling she has a say in it biggrin.png .

If i really needed to i could arrange it myself. Just imported a rower and picked it up at the airport cargo customs. That was much more of a feat then buying a fridge.

I think then there would have to be a leak somewhere, that does not seem to be the case because if the gasses are gone it would not work anymore at all. (been this way for a a long enough time months). Just works good for like a month.. then a week of problems then a month good again.

But i just get pissed off with my milk being frozen or the chicken that i put fromt he freezer to the fridge still being frozen after a day (normally that would not be the case). Also fun a can of tuna that is frozen. Not to mention my salad

Sounds like there is something wrong with the thermostat. Not expensive to fix. smile.png

+ 1 thermostat fault.

Simple part for a technician to replace.

Also if the fridge has been put on its back.. the oil from the compressor at the bottom will run up the element at the back of the fridge. If you switch it on with out waiting a while for the oil to settle it might damage the fridge.

+ 1 thermostat fault.

Also if the fridge has been put on its back.. the oil from the compressor at the bottom will run up the element at the back of the fridge. If you switch it on with out waiting a while for the oil to settle it might damage the fridge.

If it is damaged by putting on its back .. could that be different damage then thermostat.

+ 1 thermostat fault.

If it is damaged by putting on its back .. could that be different damage then thermostat.

I don't believe in the 'on it's back' theory. Most if not all fridges are transported 'on it's back' from the place of purchase to your home, then usually two men carries it (still on it's back) to your place of choise (in most cases the kitchen). then you plug it in and presto, it starts humming. My money is on the thermostat. smile.png

Id guess so. The thermostat is just a coiled up copper tube that's behind the dial inside the fridge.. connected to power wires as well to the compressor. Its a sealed unit and can be unscrewed, disconnected an replaced in a matter of minutes..

BEWARE... LIVE WIRES!

possible it broke when moving fridge or just bad luck. Your repair shop might be able to sell you new one over the counter.

Disclamer. I'm not a qualified repairman and don't touch stuff that can electrocute you.

Id guess so. The thermostat is just a coiled up copper tube that's behind the dial inside the fridge.. connected to power wires as well to the compressor. Its a sealed unit and can be unscrewed, disconnected an replaced in a matter of minutes..

BEWARE... LIVE WIRES!

possible it broke when moving fridge or just bad luck. Your repair shop might be able to sell you new one over the counter.

Disclamer. I'm not a qualified repairman and don't touch stuff that can electrocute you.

I wasnt thinking of doing it myself.. i told you im not technical at all. I would not touch it. But you did give me good information. I will try to get the repair guy to come over first. I mean why spend money if this can be fixed cheaply.

I used to work for a second hand whitegoods store delivering fridges and washing machines. The technicians told me if I carried it on its back to inform the customer to wait 15 minutes before turning it on.

Also in the hundreds of fridges I delivered.. only a few required to be put on their backs to get around tight spaces etc. Transportation was always upright,

Delivery was always upright too, they don't fit too well on a stair climbing trolly on their backs

Most faults the repair guys would encounter was faulty thermostats. Easily checked with a multimeter

Edited by eeeya

I used to work for a second hand whitegoods store delivering fridges and washing machines. The technicians told me if I carried it on its back to inform the customer to wait 15 minutes before turning it on.

Also in the hundreds of fridges I delivered.. only a few required to be put on their backs to get around tight spaces etc. Transportation was always upright,

Delivery was always upright too, they don't fit too well on a stair climbing trolly on their backs

Most faults the repair guys would encounter was faulty thermostats. Easily checked with a multimeter

Thanks a million i will first pursue the thermostat repair option. I don't mind buying a new one. But if it can be repaired easy then i rather go for that option.

+ 1 thermostat fault.

It is possible if it was left lying on its back for an extended period of time, and you did not leave it upright for an hour or so before turning it on, that oil could have leaked into the refrigerant. Any refrigerator, no matter how it was stored or transported, after standing upright for an hour will be in a state where all the fluids have drained and properly separated, and there will be no issues from this.

If compressor oil has leaked into the refrigerant, that is an expensive fix. If it is simply the thermostat (and it sounds like that is your problem) then it shouldn't cost you more than 1000 baht. Your biggest problem is finding a reputable guy to fix the problem. Most of the little mom and pop shops in my experience will change the part for you and replace it with an equally defective part. Then they will try and say that the problem is the compressor and proceed to charge you an exorbitant price for a rebuilt compressor, while simultaneously taking your good compressor and selling it. But they know full well what they have done. We even had a guy "fix" ours, and then call back a week later surprised we hadn't called him to complain it wasn't working. He wanted to steal and sell our compressor. My wife gave him a tongue lashing on the phone for being a criminal. I knew exactly what was going on when I got home and looked at what he had done, and had told my wife.

Call the manufacturer and pay a higher fee to get a certified technician to come look at it. I've been through this all before. Just a word of advice worth every cent you paid for it.

• Like 1

The idea is calling the manufacturer. But that was the guy that did not turn up last time. But we will try again. I think first try this solution instead of buying a new one.

Thanks everyone

Its not only a problem in thailand.. its shonky in australia too. I saw some nice young couple buy a 'new' factory second fridge.. the kind they advertise with a scratch or ding only..

Cut to reality..new fridge dropped during delivery. Retailer puts it out the back with the old second hand trade ins next to the rubbish.

2nd hand dealer/repairer comes by and purchases old trade in fridges for $20 a piece .... new damaged fridge included.

Compressor broken so replaced with 30 yr old compressor.

Pannel beaten back into shape and put in the factory second shop a few hundred lower than new price.

Customer thinks they bought new fridge with only a scratch.

True story

Built in obsolescence, hardly anything is built to last nowadays.

It suffered a few knocks, due to flooding etc, and was seemingly too fragile to take it.

Some things it benefits to buy cheap, I have a cheap old Tesco kettle which has soldiered on for five years now. When it finally gives up the ghost it will be easily replaced with little inconvenience.

Fridges, freezers. TVs etc are more fundamental IMO. I always buy the best makes because they are built to last. It is cheaper in the long run IMO. Also, it can be a bit of a b-up if one of these items fail as apart from the expense incurred it usually means a few days of inconvenience and waiting for delivery etc.

Built in obsolescence, hardly anything is built to last nowadays.

It suffered a few knocks, due to flooding etc, and was seemingly too fragile to take it.

Some things it benefits to buy cheap, I have a cheap old Tesco kettle which has soldiered on for five years now. When it finally gives up the ghost it will be easily replaced with little inconvenience.

Fridges, freezers. TVs etc are more fundamental IMO. I always buy the best makes because they are built to last. It is cheaper in the long run IMO. Also, it can be a bit of a b-up if one of these items fail as apart from the expense incurred it usually means a few days of inconvenience and waiting for delivery etc.

OP says he paid 12K for it. Not cheap.

The idea is calling the manufacturer. But that was the guy that did not turn up last time. But we will try again. I think first try this solution instead of buying a new one.

Thanks everyone

If you can locate the thermostate inside the fridge (it's behind the adjusting knob). Then you could try this cheapo version. Pull the plug from the outlet and get some sort of tool and give the thermostate a few raps. It worked for me once on a fridge with the same symptoms you described.

Thanks everyone

If you can locate the thermostate inside the fridge (it's behind the adjusting knob). Then you could try this cheapo version. Pull the plug from the outlet and get some sort of tool and give the thermostate a few raps. It worked for me once on a fridge with the same symptoms you described.

I tried that.. unfortunately i could not get to it.. i could click something away but somewhere else the plastic was stuck. I decided not to use brute force and wait for a pro. Normally mu solution is brute force but more often then not that results in damaged goods biggrin.png

Thanks everyone

I tried that.. unfortunately i could not get to it.. i could click something away but somewhere else the plastic was stuck. I decided not to use brute force and wait for a pro. Normally mu solution is brute force but more often then not that results in damaged goods biggrin.png

Pull off the plastic adjusting knob and tap on the metal shaft.