Car Advice - 700 - 850K Budget

I'm pretty clueless about cars, but its gotten to the point where I need one. Actually, I need it very soon so that eliminates any cars with waiting times longer than 1 month.

The car will be mostly used for Bangkok driving, but also the occasional trips up into Isaan and elsewhere. I'm looking for the most cargo/passenger space to value/quality ratio that's within my budget: 700-850k. My future in Thailand is uncertain, so I may need to sell the car in 1 or 2 years, or maybe I'll be keeping it for 5+ years.

Main cars under consideration right now:

Ford Focus 5 Dr 2.0L for 849k (seems decent. I would prefer the sedan but they have none left. Have read a lot about poor after sales service with ford)

Ford Fiesta 4 Dr 1.6L Sport+ AT for 704k (didn't seem too much smaller than the focus and could be worth the 150k savings?)

Mazda 3 5 Dr 1.6L for 869k (the peak of my price range, I really like the space inside, but I've read on here about poor mileage and low resale value)

Toyota Altis 1.6 G At for 824k (seems alright, but would strongly prefer not having a taxi)

Honda Jazz JP for 751k (They had some Japanese models available now. Long waiting period for Thai ones. I'm not sure what the difference is other than the higher price)

Used cars are also a possibility (perhaps a 5 year old Honda CRV?), but being clueless about cars, I am very hesitant to purchase used here in Thailand.

Any other cars I should be considering?

I would really appreciate any advice you knowledgable folks could add. Thanks!

Not considering a 4 door truck? 850 puts you in the top 2wd models..

Initially was considering a pickup, but I think I'd prefer something easier to maneuver around Bangkok with. My soi is quite tight and I need to be sure to be able to get into my driveway.

Ford Focus would be the best tourer on your list. Honda Civic would also scrape in on your budget. Altis okay if your okay driving a taxi and because of this I think it's resale may suffer.

Thanks for the advice. I liked the civic, but a bit of a waiting period on those.

If you're only interesting in space/value you've got to be looking at a pickup; maneuverability is a concern but I'll wager that half your neighbors have trucks. With trucks the excise tax is so much less, you get the best value for money. Toyota has the best resale value, look at Toyota Sure certified used for peace of mind with a year's warranty and no waiting times, fuel costs are comparable with any sedans on the list as diesel is so much cheaper. Add to that it's safer in a crash, higher, better driving position and it handles the pot-holed and sometimes flooded Thai roads better.

If you're only interesting in space/value you've got to be looking at a pickup; maneuverability is a concern but I'll wager that half your neighbors have trucks. With trucks the excise tax is so much less, you get the best value for money. Toyota has the best resale value, look at Toyota Sure certified used for peace of mind with a year's warranty and no waiting times, fuel costs are comparable with any sedans on the list as diesel is so much cheaper. Add to that it's safer in a crash, higher, better driving position and it handles the pot-holed and sometimes flooded Thai roads better.

Sorry mate, but I beg to differ. Why buy a pickup for city commuting. I'm not sure about tax implications. But I don't find pickups any cheaper or better value than a sedan. Unless your comparison is based on size or weight.

I've driven both Vigo and Mitsu pickups and when empty they bounce all over the place and are noisy. If you need a pickup sure, buy one. But I don't know why so many farangs think this is the best way to travel. Must be a bloke thing.

All cars in Thailand have strong resale. This is covered in another thread.

Sorry mate, but I beg to differ. Why buy a pickup for city commuting. I'm not sure about tax implications. But I don't find pickups any cheaper or better value than a sedan. Unless your comparison is based on size or weight.

I've driven both Vigo and Mitsu pickups and when empty they bounce all over the place and are noisy. If you need a pickup sure, buy one. But I don't know why so many farangs think this is the best way to travel. Must be a bloke thing.

All cars in Thailand have strong resale. This is covered in another thread.

My 2007 Vigo 4x4 doesn't bounce around, doesn't make a noise, in fact it is large saloon comfort for the price of a mid sized run around and for sure l feel safer in it than a wee hatch back.

A 2 door truck might move around when empty cos all the weight is at the front and it is built to work, carry stuff.