Current Requirment For Thai Driver License And If I Go In A Car How To Do The Bike

Attol

I want to go this Monday but what are the most current requirments? TV has some info from 2006

There is info online but not sure how valid.

1. Medical

2. Address info from Immigratino

3. Copies of Passport how many?

4. Current drivers license

I am not going with a Thai person.. I am going in a car. I Have a valid drivers license for America for a car. And an expired Intl for car and bike.

Will I have to do the actual test? Do I have to give someone something to help me pass the test?

Can someone else pick up my license the next day?

As I have put this off for a decade I am still dreading it, dreading that I go and can not complete it.

Thank you!

Your list seems right to me, other than the money.

They always have bikes to rent there. The only thing I ever see people failing on the bike is the slow speed balance test.

Your expired license will be of no help, but you can try it anyway. (Not sure what you mean by international license?)

Depending what state your US license is from, you may need to print out the page from the states DMV website which describes the classes, unless it says in English or with pictures what the license authorizes you to drive. You will be able to skip the written and practical tests for whatever class of license if you already have. So you will be able to skip this for the car, but not the bike. (Unless you get away with using your expired license) You only have to do the reaction, depth (I heard they may have stopped that one) and color test.

Yes you will have to do the actual tests, as in someone else can't do it for you

You won't need to "give someone something" if you mean a bribe, and you will be issued your license the same day.

Given that your international has expired most likely you need to take the practical test on both car and bike. You can rent a motor bike taxi bike for the 10 minutes. They sit at the gate.

Get there about 08.30, submit paperwork, reaction and eye tests, watch the video for an hour. Take the practical tests after 13.00. Well ... that's the way it used to be.

There is no need to pay anything other than the fees for each licence. Fee: Baht 105 for cars and Baht 55 for motorcycles (subject to change without notice)

OP, you'll need to take in the following documents:

• Main page passport.
  • Visa page passport.
  • Last entry stamp and TM card.
  • Proof of residence (work permit, yellow tabien ban, or certificate of residence from your embassy or Thai Immigration).
  • Medical certificate (available at almost any medical centre)
  • Your current DL & International Drivers Permit (IDP), if you have them.

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car, take two copies of each.

If you have an IDP, you will only need to do the colour blindness and reaction tests; if not, you might be able to getting away with doing these with just your licence, but you should have do to a theory test and a practical test.

Ok thanks for all the good advice. I have a car license now not a bike though. FAILED. w00t.gif

So I got there early, my friend dropped me off while he went to immigration to get his proof of address. I have a wp so as stated did not need the immigration thing. I got there later then I wanted too, about 9 but was fine.

There were NOT a lot of people and except for the rude girl when you first walk in the staff was VERY nice, spoke English and was helpful. smile.png

My friend came late...... after 10 and was denied any processing.

I was missing: the back side copy of my USA license which stated important info "the license is not valid for employment" employment so ran out to make a copy. 2 baht or 3 baht and right next door. I was missing some pages in my work permit, the latest work permit stamp and the address page. other then that I had my papers in order as to the above list. I had 2 dr certificates but a copy of the 1st would have been fine.

I needed 2 copies of everything as I was going for Car and Bike. My IDL (intl drivers license) was expired so was irrelavant to them. Although mine says Valid FROM ---- I am sure they would be confused thinking that was the expiration date. I could be wrong though but have had this issue in the past.

1. Car is easy but as i needed bike as I dont ahve a bike license I had to watch a movie for an hour that had NOTHING to do with bike stafety. Great tips like do not flick your ashes and butts out the window, be courteaous, how much weight buses and trucks can carry. Dont get into a fist fight if you have an accident. Hand signals the cops make ...

2. Then i had to take the exam (for the bike license not car). It is computerised and there is the English option. I failed this. There were 20 questions. 2 guestions repeated 3 times. One was a diagram of which car was properly parked. It thought the drawing had a photo of a bridge and so 3x choose the wrong photo. Looking back now I can see the car was in the middle of the road. urg. There were 4 tiny cartoon fotos to choose from.

3. 30 in the circle is MIN speed limit (I said Max)

4. The yield sign I got wrong 3x. forget the correct answer but I think it included Stop not just give right away.

5. It is forbidden to drive if: a - insufficient light, b - you feel the onset of a heart attack c- your tail lights dont work.

FOOLISHLY i choose C! Wrong. it is B!blink.pnglaugh.png

the other one was hash marks in the road mean stop in between. URg.

I have 90 days to go back and retake it. The score is on a digital card and there is no under the table passing the exam wink.png

Back down stairs to finish my car license process. A stupid test with red light green light and braking in time. Then that was it. Go take my photo and wait 1 min and viola car license. Total was 225 baht (2 fees) Finished by 12pm for the car.

I was on my own and did not need a Thai speaker. This was much less dreadful then I thought and am so happy now to have at least the car.

Will dread another day though for the bike!

Thanks again for the info and just posting this for the next person who searches. Thai Drivers License Phuket

Edited by Attol