Pattaya (Non)Metered Taxis

PattayaParent

Ah. So now we know what the numbers on the new bus-stops in Jomtien 2nd Rd refer to.

They are just taxi-stands after all.

Yeah something Pattaya city isd very good at.

Creating busstops,however there are no buses,and creating taxi stops which are not used by the taxis any way.All at the cost of the alreay limited parking space,and to the joy of the MIB who has a lot more opportunities for tea money.

Was out side central Mall beach Rd side a few weeks back, heard a Russian ask one price to jomtien........400 Bahtclap2.gif

What would a similar run cost in Bangkok? 100 baht? I think if they ever wake up and get real taxi meters here it doesn't have to be quite as cheap as Bangkok rates BUT ... not massive multiples as we've got with the charter system.

Was out side central Mall beach Rd side a few weeks back, heard a Russian ask one price to jomtien........400 Bahtclap2.gif

What would a similar run cost in Bangkok? 100 baht? I think if they ever wake up and get real taxi meters here it doesn't have to be quite as cheap as Bangkok rates BUT ... not massive multiples as we've got with the charter system.

My regular trip in BKK ladprao to sukumvit soi 4 about 90-100 in BKK taxi meter, guess its about twice distance of Patts to Jomtien

Edited by br12stol

Walk out of a shopping mall with a big box and the price goes up and up and up.

They are doing a wonderful job of pissing off visitors and locals.

Visitors or locals that don't have a car are at the mercy of these greedy punks. (and the Mayor knows it)

My regular trip in BKK ladprao to sukumvit soi 4 about 90-100 in BKK taxi meter, guess its about twice distance of Patts to Jomtien

Depending on how far down Jomtien but to just over the hill and down a ways probably no more than B 70-80. I know when I'm in a Bangkok cab...I can go a long ways for that kind of money.

for about double the price you get the whole way from Bangkok airport to Jomtien

The thing that annoys me is that I would use these taxis regularly and leave the car at home if they use the meter, and I live near a songthaew route.

I'm sure that there are others who would also. Especially those who live in East Pattaya and want to go into town for a drink. Not to mention the potential for Thai customers.

It could actually be a viable money making service (if numbers were restricted). But I'm sure there's not ~250 (if they ARE sequentially numbered) making money in Pattaya at the moment.

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me is that I would use these taxis regularly and leave the car at home if they use the meter, and I live near a songthaew route.

I'm sure that there are others who would also. Especially those who live in East Pattaya and want to go into town for a drink. Not to mention the potential for Thai customers.

It could actually be a viable money making service (if numbers were restricted). But I'm sure there's not ~250 (if they ARE sequentially numbered) making money in Pattaya at the moment.

Yes I would also use them a lot, live on a baht bus route, but would regularly go to places I just don't go now (or go very rarely), and SPEND money there. The corrupt transport "mafia" system here is basically bad for business overall and bad for people here overall, locals, tourists, Thai, and foreign. It's good for a small percentage of people and businesses though. Edited by Jingthing