Loy Krathong 2012 - Chiang Mai, Sukhothai & Ayutthaya Dates ?

Anyone know if any dates have been confirmed ?

Since the full moon night falls on a Wednesday, it's difficult to guess their celebration dates.

I am bringing some friends to Thailand for this event and need to book the air tickets and rooms, appreciate if anyone can update.

Officially Loy Krathong 2012 is on Nov 28 (Wednesday).

The calendar in the forum shows 27 to 29 as a festive period.

So I have no doubt that any celebrations will take place during this three day period.

So I have no doubt that any celebrations will take place during this three day period.

Thanks; what about the Mae Jo lantern release event(for public) ? Can you make any safe guess around which date they will have it ?

Thanks; what about the Mae Jo lantern release event(for public) ? Can you make any safe guess around which date they will have it ?

MaeJo is either 1 week or 2 weeks before the Loy Kratong Saturday.

They don't announce the big free event for locals in advance in an attempt to fleece out-of-province visitors for a pay event.

MaeJo is either 1 week or 2 weeks before the Loy Kratong Saturday.

They don't announce the big free event for locals in advance in an attempt to fleece out-of-province visitors for a pay event.

What do you mean by Loy Kratong "Saturday" ?

Then they should announce the pay event date early. Right now, no one knows when is the pay event date yet.

In what sense "should"? For the convenience of a few foreigners who want to fly in see a "real Thai" event and then fly out the next day?

Cripes, upsell your customers to stay for a week, relax and hang out!

Or tell them to book it the month before, not as if everything's going to be booked out in advance. . .

Planning far in advance is not a common occurence here, it's not a NASA space launch. For things like this they have to wait for the appropriate voudou doctor to foretell the auspicious dates.

In what sense "should"? For the convenience of a few foreigners who want to fly in see a "real Thai" event and then fly out the next day?

They don't want "out of province" Thais either. It's an event for people from CM only.

This event attracts football crowds and has the potential to be a death trap. They have to limit the numbers some-how.

They don't want "out of province" Thais either. It's an event for people from CM only.

This event attracts football crowds and has the potential to be a death trap. They have to limit the numbers some-how.

I am confused. Do you mean that they discourage any out of province locals or non-locals to attend BOTH the free event and the pay-event; so they won't want the dates earlier ? If this is their intentions, I will understand why they don't announce the dates earlier. I am given the impressions earlier(from other forums/threads) that the pay event is targeted at the tourists.

• 4 months later...