How Can I Know For Sure The True Owner Of Land Or A House?

I'm sure we've all experienced the Thai expressions "my house" and "my land" when in fact the house belongs to the mother and the land to some distant relative.

There is nothing malicious or underhand in this it's just the way they talk, the problem is trying to establish who in law actually owns the land or house.

Reading through the many posts here I gather that the "Chanote" is the title for the land, and presumably the person named on it is the rightfully legal owner of that land. Is that right?

I would think if the land has changed hands many times there would be several names on the "Chanote" the last name being the current owner. Or do they issue a new "Chanote" at each transfer of ownership in which case there would be only one name.

I also seem to remember reading about any restrictions as to the use of the land being written on the back of the "Chanote" Is this correct?

Basic question, what does a "Chanote" actually look like?

As I understand it all the people living at a house are listed in the Blue Book but does it show who actually owns the house?

If the owner of the house lives somewhere else they would not be in the Blue Book at all so is there some other document that shows who the owner is?

Just a few questions trying to understand who owns what.

wacko.png

You answer most of your own questions correctly. Only the chanote is proof of ownership. Blue book is only confirmation of adress. Yes on the backside of the chanote can be many names, last name=actual owner now. Restrictions will be on the chanote as well. You can only be in the blue book on one adress. For ex. we have a rental house, no blue book, as my wife has her blue book adress at the house where we live.

You answer most of your own questions correctly. Only the chanote is proof of ownership. Blue book is only confirmation of adress. Yes on the backside of the chanote can be many names, last name=actual owner now. Restrictions will be on the chanote as well. You can only be in the blue book on one adress. For ex. we have a rental house, no blue book, as my wife has her blue book adress at the house where we live.

Also any liens on the property are listed on the back of the Chanote

For ex. we have a rental house, no blue book, as my wife has her blue book adress at the house where we live.

You should still have a blue book (Tambien Baan) for that rental house, but correct your wife's name would not be in it. The Tambien Baan is issued to every house, that is how the street (mailing) address is determined. You need that to apply for an electric meter for example.

At the land's office (Khom Tee-Deen , sorry for the spelling), they have a copy (or better to say the second original Chanote which is an exact copy of what the owner have) of the Chanote, not sure if they will give you access to them, this is Thailand and anything is possible.

Last time i went there, i just had a black and white photocopy of the Chanote belonging to a thai female citizen, i could have been anyone and they just gave me access without asking me for a proof of whom i was.....

Thanks for your replies.

Just a couple of points.

Good idea to check the 'original' Chanote at the land office is same as "land owner" is showing you.

And as the Blue Book only lists people residing at an address what is the document to show who actually owns the house.

Thanks.

There is a way to get a copy of the Chanote from the Land Office although I think it must require a lawyer to do so, everytime I have bought property here a copy of the Chanote has always been obtained prior to completion of the sale.

Thanks for your replies.

Just a couple of points.

Good idea to check the 'original' Chanote at the land office is same as "land owner" is showing you.

And as the Blue Book only lists people residing at an address what is the document to show who actually owns the house.

Thanks.

Chanote