US Embassy Bangkok Complained Over Lady Gaga's Fake Rolex Tweet

webfact

Do these Thai officials (or the tweet freak outers) actually believe Lady Gaga was really in the market for a fake Rolex? blink.png

I'm fairly confident she isn't even the one who controls her twitter account.

That wasn't the question.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just hilarious. Every single main road of every single tourist destination is full of copies that being a watch or a polo-shirt.

Is there anywhere in Thailand where you can purchase original products?

Funnily enough - legitimate PSP & Nintendo DS games are hard to find.

Copies are 20-30 Baht though

Obviously things are going very well in Thailand if this is what is on people's minds. Not like millions of folks don't head to NY City (Gaga's home town) every year to buy cheap crack and heroin.

Come on Nisa, Comment #88 - I know you've seen it. How about a stunning rebuttal of something we all know is true?

Somebody needs to chillax. There is a legal outlet, Sounds like the gov't official has misplaced anger. Should he not be angry at the people selling fakes, not the people talking about the people selling fakes?

http://www.rolex.com...bangkok/bangkok

Ah, but the people selling the fakes provide the tea money and votes. The people talking about them don't.

David

This article really cracked me up.

This past weekend, I was shopping at Central Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. I was looking for a Mophie Juice Pack Plus battery case for my iPhone. The store I went to had them hanging on the rack with the other cases. The price was about 990 baht. Since the information on the box was in Thai, I asked the clerk how long the warranty was. He said 2 months. I joked with I'm and said, "2 months? Jing, jing?" He said yes, since it was the fake version is only had a two month warranty. He then showed me the real item which has a 1 year warranty. The price was also over 3000 baht. I must say that I was impressed with his honesty though I can only assume that he wasn't worried about telling me it was a fake since any enforcement for selling counterfits was unlikely.

Of course, I wasn't looking for a Rolex. laugh.png

David

That juice pack,which you wanted to buy is ordinary battery,why you will pay 100US$ for it?Because it is for your iphone!

Buy same product from Sanyo(without "For Your Iphone" - but original) - you will pay - 1000B.Your juice is 300% overpriced.

One would have to wonder where Lady Gaga got the notion that fake Rolex's and other fakes were readily available in Thailand? Actually, one would also have to wonder why the Thais are complaining to the US embassy and not the Swiss embassy, the country of origin of Rolex?

This is just hilarious. Every single main road of every single tourist destination is full of copies that being a watch or a polo-shirt.

Is there anywhere in Thailand where you can purchase original products?

IF you find a place that sells 'authentic products'..... I would recommend CAUTION........

enter 'thailand buy fake' and the following prompts come up to choose from:

buy fake thailand

buy fake bags thailand

buy fake braces thailand

buy fake clothes thailand

buy fake goods thailand

buy fake id thailand

buy fake passport thailand

buy fake rolex thailand

buy fake watches thailand

Edited by gand

Well under a lot off pressure thailand did make efforts to stop the sale of pirated DVDs for a short period of time.

I wonder if they will now try to stop the sale of fake rolex's for a couple of weeks.

Who knows maybe the lady was serious and was saying it to protest the high tax on the real one's.

Bottom line no damage done to Thailand.

If they are serious about stopping tourism all they have to do is stop the sale of all fake and pirated items close up the Bordello's and stop the sale of drugs and alcohol. That may give Thailand a great reputation but definitely seriously hurt their tourism.

I'm sure that if PM Yingluck assigns this to her capable Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm, he'll find some time in between cracking down on drugs, writing laws and the like and personally supervise the confiscation and steamwalsing of fake rolexes. It's an affront, no one can even see the different between my collection of diamond encrusted, certified and bloody expensive real rolexes and those of parvenues wearing fakes. Heaven forbid wearing fakes becomes a new fab. Before you know it people start to buy small cars and refurbished VW Beetles wink.png

This article really cracked me up.

This past weekend, I was shopping at Central Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. I was looking for a Mophie Juice Pack Plus battery case for my iPhone. The store I went to had them hanging on the rack with the other cases. The price was about 990 baht. Since the information on the box was in Thai, I asked the clerk how long the warranty was. He said 2 months. I joked with I'm and said, "2 months? Jing, jing?" He said yes, since it was the fake version is only had a two month warranty. He then showed me the real item which has a 1 year warranty. The price was also over 3000 baht. I must say that I was impressed with his honesty though I can only assume that he wasn't worried about telling me it was a fake since any enforcement for selling counterfits was unlikely.

Of course, I wasn't looking for a Rolex. laugh.png

David

That juice pack,which you wanted to buy is ordinary battery,why you will pay 100US$ for it?Because it is for your iphone!

Buy same product from Sanyo(without "For Your Iphone" - but original) - you will pay - 1000B.Your juice is 300% overpriced.

Commenting on post above the last as did not feel like scanning back through to find original to quote.

Real what? Rolex for 3,000 baht? One year warranty by who?

I have had a GMT, blue faced sub, Daytonna and two date just with different faces and oyster bands instead of cheap looking jubilee bands. The cheapest I have ever seen was a very old 70s date just with a jubilee band I purchased for my brother that was actually in need of a new band and it was 1,000 usd. The blue face subs with ss and gold were holding value no matter how long you wore them at around 4,500 used without box. I could wear for 5 years and still get my 4,500 usd paid back. May be less now with economy, but they will be rough (scratched, bands stretching, or dull number markers).

If I can get any real Rolex for 3000 baht in Thailand, I will come now and buy everyone I can find at that price.

Edited by ttelise

Let's twist this a bit.

Supposing an international pop superstar from Thailand (use your imagination) was playing New York to entertain and he tweeted:

Going to New York to sample the best American food, McDonald's hamburger in its natural setting.

Then imagine some high U.S. official "complaining" to the Thai embassy about the silly comment of ONE Thai national.

"The department was strongly concerned that the singer's behaviour would encourage other tourists to seek and shop for fake products in the country"

And the downside is????

"Thailand has demonstrated serious attempts to suppress IPR violations for a long time."

cheesy.gif...as anyone can see on Sukhumvit every day and night!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by TackyToo
  • Like 1

That we have multiple threads discussing this here on TV with over 23,000 views should tell you that no matter what anyone says, Lady Gaga was a success in sending a few lines of text over the internet.

That we have multiple threads discussing this here on TV with over 23,000 views should tell you that no matter what anyone says, Lady Gaga was a success in sending a few lines of text over the internet.

So I guess Lady Gaga is the real thing?

"Fake watches are for fake people"

I buy real Rolex only, not in Thailand, but in Switzerland, where Rolex is made.

Not me. The exchange rate and prices kill us Americans. I looked at Rolexes in Amsterdamn, Italy, Switzerland and etc. trying to find something different and unique and the prices forcstansard watches were 20 to 30 percent higher than here in US.

I buy real Rolex only, not in Thailand, but in Switzerland, where Rolex is made.

Big deal! Where it in Thailand and everyone will assume it's a fake!

Or try and steal it. I only bring TAGs to SE Asia, Eastern Europe and Central America. Too much attention nit good except Daytonna with leather band may go unnoticed there.

Let's twist this a bit.

Supposing an international pop superstar from Thailand (use your imagination) was playing New York to entertain and he tweeted:

Going to New York to sample the best American food, McDonald's hamburger in its natural setting.

Then imagine some high U.S. official "complaining" to the Thai embassy about the silly comment of ONE Thai national.

You can get 30 dollar fake Rolexes in US also. These can be bought anywhere in US.

Let's twist this a bit.

You can get 30 dollar fake Rolexes in US also. These can be bought anywhere in US.

Of course, but the facts are, like or not, Thailand is famous internationally for being a hub of all kinds of fake merchandise. So the Thai government doesn't like to hear the facts. Fine. Deal with it some other way than a ridiculous complaint to an embassy that only makes them look even sillier.

Big deal! Where it in Thailand and everyone will assume it's a fake!

Or try and steal it. I only bring TAGs to SE Asia, Eastern Europe and Central America. Too much attention nit good except Daytonna with leather band may go unnoticed there.

I gave up wearing a watch the day I retired. :)

David

• Like 1

So I guess Lady Gaga is the real thing?

"Fake watches are for fake people"

She is a Pop star. She goes by the name Lady Gaga. Of course that is a fake persona. That is part of her act and how she draws attention to herself to increase revenues. Fake or not though, she is doing quite well for herself and I for one say "go gaga go"!

• Like 1

I am sure the US Embassy is working overtime as we speak to undo the truth damage done to Thailand.

Anybody know what kind of watch Gaga wears? Any idea if she got a fake Rolex?

I sincerely hope so.