Notary

butterisbetter

Is there anyone in the Chiang Mai municipal are who offers USA notorial services.It could be from any state or territory. As long as you have a valid notary seal. I know I can get this done at the consulate but they charge a lot and I figure maybe someone here can do this.

To get something notarized I use Legal & Business Associates at Hillside Plaza, 3rd floor, on Huay Kaew Road, Tel 053210527. To get something notarized it takes only about 10 minutes and their fee is only 500 baht.

To get something notarized I use Legal & Business Associates at Hillside Plaza, 3rd floor, on Huay Kaew Road, Tel 053210527. To get something notarized it takes only about 10 minutes and their fee is only 500 baht.

Is it a US notary?

I have used this business when I have had documents that needed to be notarized and it has always been accepted in the states. They are a Thai notary not a US notary.

Is it a US notary?

I have used this business when I have had documents that needed to be notarized and it has always been accepted in the states. They are a Thai notary not a US notary.

Whatever works. But a foreign notary stamp is not valid in any state in the US. What is no doubt happening is that the people involved just look to see if a stamp is on the document.

To the OP, this is not about US notarial services but I will post it here as it may be of interest to readers ...

I was out at the Thai passport office at the big municipal building the other week and noticed there is a small office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs just next door. I'm not sure how long they have been there, but they are set up to notarize documents ... no queue and the fees were (from memory) only 2-300 baht.

Also, while I have hands on keyboard, for any Australians reading this who might need a document witnessed - I am a Justice of the Peace (NSW only)

Thailand has never signed the international notary treaty. Lawyers that are Notaries here in Thailand are authorized by the Thai lawyer's Bar association, not by the government. If you need something notarized and it's just for signature verification for something mundane, that will never be checked, no one in the US will not know it's not an authorized notary signature. If it's for something like a Will, I would get the US consulate to notarize, as a sharp US lawyer could invalidate a Will with a Thai notarization. There is no standard rate - you may want to check around for how much. Krit at Lanna Associates (formerly Sunbelt Lanna) is also a Notary. 053-283-873, www.sunbelt-chiangmai.com)

To the OP, this is not about US notarial services but I will post it here as it may be of interest to readers ...

I was out at the Thai passport office at the big municipal building the other week and noticed there is a small office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs just next door. I'm not sure how long they have been there, but they are set up to notarize documents ... no queue and the fees were (from memory) only 2-300 baht.

Also, while I have hands on keyboard, for any Australians reading this who might need a document witnessed - I am a Justice of the Peace (NSW only)

_If you look closely, they're probably just "witnessing" your signature. Probably a government employee or a relative of a government employee that saw an opportunity to make a few Baht. There are no government notaries

_If you look closely, they're probably just "witnessing" your signature. Probably a government employee or a relative of a government employee that saw an opportunity to make a few Baht. There are no government notaries

Quite some years ago in Minnesota I was a notary at the multi-national corporation where I worked. As I understood at the time, the scope of my authority was to witness signatures; it was not my business to be concerned with the details of the document or its veracity. I was only to witness that the signature on the document was indeed that of the person in front of me.

Now, reading about notaries public on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public ), I see where there are a number of different kinds of notaries, and that their power varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

• Like 1

Is it a US notary?

This is a Thai law firm but I have had no problems having them notarize my signature including on a document that was required by a US State Treasury Department. Did it several times and it was accepted with no problem.

What you need to do is find out from who is requesting the notary what is acceptable and what is not. I'm not sure when you say you need a US notary, if the document to be notarized is to be sent to someone in the US or they actually need a US notary such as what you would find at the US consulate.

• 1 month later...

July 2012

I investigated the Hillside Plaza office building fronting the apartments, and unless there is another Hillside Plaza further up Huay Kaew, the lobby receptionist told me that Legal & Business Associates no longer has staff here in Chiang Mai. They are all in Bangkok.

Luckily, I remembered the Star Visa information posted on this site, so I headed toward the USA Consulate. The Star Visa office was easy to spot on the south side of the road before the consulate. Fee was 1000 per stamp. Pricy, but still cheaper than the Consulate (1500 baht/stamp). I had to wait 30 minutes for the notary man to appear, but it was a quick process after that.

I cannot state if these stamps will work in any other countries as I was looking for ANY notary and this one worked for me.

Good luck!

I have been using this legal firm for the last three years, to do anything that needs to be notarized in the states and it has never been questioned. They are half the cost of the consulate and works every time. It is a Thai notary.

July 2012

I investigated the Hillside Plaza office building fronting the apartments, and unless there is another Hillside Plaza further up Huay Kaew, the lobby receptionist told me that Legal & Business Associates no longer has staff here in Chiang Mai. They are all in Bangkok.

Luckily, I remembered the Star Visa information posted on this site, so I headed toward the USA Consulate. The Star Visa office was easy to spot on the south side of the road before the consulate. Fee was 1000 per stamp. Pricy, but still cheaper than the Consulate (1500 baht/stamp). I had to wait 30 minutes for the notary man to appear, but it was a quick process after that.

I cannot state if these stamps will work in any other countries as I was looking for ANY notary and this one worked for me.

Good luck!

The firm is located on the 3rd floor at Hillside 4. I just used them last week.

Well I had to get a copy of my licence notarised for he tax people.

So I had my land lord sign his name on the copy.and I wrote official notary under his name and problem solved.

He didn't have a clue nor did the tax people.

Well I had to get a copy of my licence notarised for he tax people.

So I had my land lord sign his name on the copy.and I wrote official notary under his name and problem solved.

He didn't have a clue nor did the tax people.

I'd be careful. That could be illegal what you did.

Well I had to get a copy of my licence notarised for he tax people.So I had my land lord sign his name on the copy.and I wrote official notary under his name and problem solved.He didn't have a clue nor did the tax people.
I'd be careful. That could be illegal what you did.
Where and how could they find out?Oh; and he is the official notary for the place I live at so no problem. Edited by skills32