I Seem To Have Little Tolerance For Alcohol Now.

giddyup

Nitrite, Protein, Glucose,Ketone,Urobilinogen,Bilirubin, Leukosytes. All negative.

Negative Glucose? Negative Bilirubin? Negative Protein?

What do you mean by.... "all negative".

Do you mean all within normal range?

I guess that's what it means. That's all it says on the printout I got.

OK, let's hope so. I get liver function and other tests done once or twice a year and interpret the results myself and I'm a non-drinker. It's not a bad idea to learn about this stuff and keep an eye on it yourself. It can be a lot cheaper to do learn about this stuff and do yourself.

I had a problem with my liver 7 years ago and went through hell. Even a healthy liver can be sensitive to some common drugs.

I would still recommend an ultrasound. They're not expensive.

OP doesn't appear to have a liver problem at all!!! Why are we banging on this theme?

OP, if this has cropped up over the past couple of months I'd hazard a guess this is more about heat exhaustion/dehydration and generally not looking after yourself.

I like the sauce but have much lower tolerances than many. I'm also crap at judging my body state particularly in regard to dehydration, so I decided to come off booze altogether for a couple of months during what has been a very hot and wearing summer season.

How good are you at looking after your health at a basic level?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...enzymes that convert the alcohol in to toxic ethanol...

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Ethanol is the alcohol that we drink and belongs to a class of chemical compounds called alcohols. If there were any other alcohols in your beer, e.g. methanol, you would be in seriously bad shape (e.g. methanol causes blindness and/or death - as in Russia's problem of home-made vodka death).

OP doesn't appear to have a liver problem at all!!! Why are we banging on this theme?

That's a bit ignorant, isn't it....and you even had to put 4 exclamation marks after it.

Liver and alcohol. Wake up!

The OP hasn't even mentioned his liver values other than saying "all negative" - which is meaningless.

Nothing he has said conclusively indicates he doesn't have a problem.

That's a bit ignorant, isn't it....and you even had to put 4 exclamation marks after it.

Liver and alcohol. Wake up!

The OP hasn't even mentioned his liver values other than saying "all negative" - which is meaningless.

Nothing he has said conclusively indicates he doesn't have a problem.

I don't know what further proof I need to satisfy you that my liver is OK. The tests say that the range is normal (negative), this was confirmed by the clinic. Neither the doctor at the clinic or one at the Bangkok Memorial Hospital Pattaya (who also checked the blood test printout) suggested that there was anything wrong with my liver. However, my blood pressure was high and I'm now on medication for that.

Now I'm sure there are other liver tests that can be done, but I don't want to spend what little time I have left in this world having an endless variety of medical tests. Nothing wrong with taking a few precautions, but I don't want to become obsessed with my health like a lot of people my age. I've been perfectly healthy all my life (so far) and I know it's inevitable that the body is going to start failing sooner or later.

I appreciate your advice re an ultrasound, but if that shows up an abnormality, what's next, a biopsy?

Edited by giddyup

"Turning 70", "my gf says". rolleyes.gif

Well he's made it this far. Question is will you or do you even want to ?

I always say, it's better than the alternative. When you'e 40 or 50 you think 70 is ancient, but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes around, and believe me when you're 70 you are still 22 inside.

Very true. After your thirties the decades go in the blink of an eye. Not many elderly men can drink like they used to be able to and the associated hangovers get much worse.

"Turning 70", "my gf says". rolleyes.gif

Well he's made it this far. Question is will you or do you even want to ?

I always say, it's better than the alternative. When you'e 40 or 50 you think 70 is ancient, but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes around, and believe me when you're 70 you are still 22 inside.

Very true. After your thirties the decades go in the blink of an eye. Not many elderly men can drink like they used to be able to and the associated hangovers get much worse.

You can't do a lot of things like you used to!

I don't know what further proof I need to satisfy you that my liver is OK. The tests say that the range is normal (negative), this was confirmed by the clinic. Neither the doctor at the clinic or one at the Bangkok Memorial Hospital Pattaya (who also checked the blood test printout) suggested that there was anything wrong with my liver. However, my blood pressure was high and I'm now on medication for that.

Now I'm sure there are other liver tests that can be done, but I don't want to spend what little time I have left in this world having an endless variety of medical tests. Nothing wrong with taking a few precautions, but I don't want to become obsessed with my health like a lot of people my age. I've been perfectly healthy all my life (so far) and I know it's inevitable that the body is going to start failing sooner or later.

I appreciate your advice re an ultrasound, but if that shows up an abnormality, what's next, a biopsy?

You didn't give me any proof except ALT and AST. You never gave me the values of most of the tests I indicated.

... but I had already signed off on the liver test subject and the only reason why I made a further comment was because Mommysboy made a sarcastic comment about my information on liver tests.

You're not the only one reading this thread. This is a public forum and perhaps some other people may appreciate some information about liver tests.

If an ultrasound showed abnormalities in your liver, then of course you would have your answer - or are you only interested in answers which indicate everything is ok? The reason why you started this thread is to search for answers, isn't it? What you do with the information is up to you.

Edited by tropo

OK time to dial this down a notch.

The OP has stated that he has had a recent physical check up and no problems with liver function found. Which doesn't alter the fact that alcohol is a toxic substance which puts a strain on the body, and that as one ages the body is less able to tolerate this.

Between obsessing about one's health and and recklessly abusing one's body there is a happy middle ground, i.e. get regular check-ups and pay heed to signals the body gives, which in the OP's case would mean reducing his intake.

OK time to dial this down a notch.

The OP has stated that he has had a recent physical check up and no problems with liver function found. Which doesn't alter the fact that alcohol is a toxic substance which puts a strain on the body, and that as one ages the body is less able to tolerate this.

Between obsessing about one's health and and recklessly abusing one's body there is a happy middle ground, i.e. get regular check-ups and pay heed to signals the body gives, which in the OP's case would mean reducing his intake.

My intake at present is almost zero. The last alcohol I consumed was 3 days ago and that was one glass of red wine with lunch. The fact of the matter is, if I get a bad reaction to drinking alcohol then alcohol no longer becomes a pleasure to drink, ergo, easy to give up.

I might add that I eat healthy, plenty of fish, fruit and vegetables, no salt, and drink lots of water and walk regularly.

Edited by giddyup

...enzymes that convert the alcohol in to toxic ethanol...

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Ethanol is the alcohol that we drink and belongs to a class of chemical compounds called alcohols. If there were any other alcohols in your beer, e.g. methanol, you would be in seriously bad shape (e.g. methanol causes blindness and/or death - as in Russia's problem of home-made vodka death).

Right, yes ethanol is the alcohol we ingest, and sorry it gets converted by an enzyme dehydrogenase in to acetaldehyde, a highly toxic substance by all accounts. It is the acetaldehyde which gives us the rotten feeling. My contention is that fit people pumping out a lot of enzymes as a healthy liver does may suffer nastier symptoms, than those with a compromised liver whose enzyme production may also be compromised. I guess at sometime in life we've all stood there feeling proud as punch that we're able to drink ever increasing amounts of alcohol without the ill effects we felt yesteryear, but in fact that is what I meant by myth, it does not indicate a healthy or stronger liver actually the reverse.

Just adding the above for discussion not being empirical, would be interested in clarification.

Other factors that may explain the reason for lower capacity are rate of gastric emptying (whether we have a full stomach), and dehydration, and perhaps increased metabolism in general, ie, wheteher stimulants such as nicotine are present, and medical conditions such as IBS, which I know only too well about.

On another point about Thai beer, in my opinion is total rubbish. My stomach is sensitive to additives, which I reckon are in the onion and gasoline mix presented as beer out here. It certainly contains synthetic hops (tetra hops), I'd guess much of the alcohol content is also derived from added sugar, and it is rumoured to contain chemicals that prevent evaporation, which is an issue in hot climates. As for 5.4% alcohol, madness in a hot climate really.

It's a far cry from the session beers common just a few decades ago which might typically contain just 3.6% alcohol, and a century or so ago on a hot afternoon in Blitey, luncheon beer containing just 2% alcohol would be the preferred tipple.

I really don't know how there are not more fatalities out here.