Us Blackberry Phones On Ais

Define "used"?

There are many different versions of a particular RIM model, but it looks like the 9630 would work on AIS/One-2-Calls GSM network for voice and GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE, low-speed, up to 236.8 Kbps). AIS's 3G network operates on 900 Mhz.

For 3G it looks like it may support 2100 Mhz so could be used with TOT/MVNO. Note that AIS does have a limited roaming agreement with TOT so you might be able to use AIS and roam onto TOT, but this is far from assured.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/chatnshare/en/BlackBerry.aspx

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Define "used"?

There are many different versions of a particular RIM model, but it looks like the 9630 would work on AIS/One-2-Calls GSM network for voice and GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE, low-speed, up to 236.8 Kbps). AIS's 3G network operates on 900 Mhz.

For 3G it looks like it may support 2100 Mhz so could be used with TOT/MVNO. Note that AIS does have a limited roaming agreement with TOT so you might be able to use AIS and roam onto TOT, but this is far from assured.

http://www.ais.co.th...BlackBerry.aspx

Thanks for this information

I have an unlocked Tour 9630 I have am unable to use it successfully / reliably with my AIS SIM .My SIM is quite old and that may be an issue. AIS Call center were no real help.. but perhaps a trip to the AIS center would prove more fruitful ;-)

Currently if I inset my AIS SIM and reboot the phone, It will make or receive exactly ONE (1) call or SMS after that it does not complete calls until I reboot.

The Tour is an older model and not popular here in Thailand.. so that also may be an issue as far as knowledgeable support.

Thanks again

gb

I actually has one from Verizon that I used with AIS, at first it my email wouldn't push. Took almost 2 weeks to get everything sorted out before it pushed properly. Other functions like BBM worked fine.

AIS told me the Tour is not an "approved" model as there were a lot of issues.

Ended up switching to an AT&T Bold and had no problems.

Define "used"?

http://www.ais.co.th...BlackBerry.aspx

Thanks for this information

I have an unlocked Tour 9630 I have am unable to use it successfully / reliably with my AIS SIM .My SIM is quite old and that may be an issue. AIS Call center were no real help.. but perhaps a trip to the AIS center would prove more fruitful ;-)

Currently if I inset my AIS SIM and reboot the phone, It will make or receive exactly ONE (1) call or SMS after that it does not complete calls until I reboot.

The Tour is an older model and not popular here in Thailand.. so that also may be an issue as far as knowledgeable support.

Thanks again

gb

Has this model worked elsewhere with pre-paid SIMs? Does your AIS SIM work in other phones? I assume your SIM is active, has validity, has balance (money), etc. Do you have a BB plan? What is the reply to *121#? *139#?

Edited by lomatopo

lomatopo, on 2012-05-30 13:28:11, said:

"Has this model worked elsewhere with pre-paid SIMs? Does your AIS SIM work in other phones? I assume your SIM is active, has validity, has balance (money), etc. Do you have a BB plan? What is the reply to *121#? *139#?"

The AIS SIM I have is billed monthly, It is in good standing and my other phone, a Samsung, works fine with the SIM.

I have not tried a pre paid sim plan and I do not have a black berry data plan yet, I was waiting to see if the phone would operate properly first prior to buying / subscribing to a plan *121# and *139# do not connect.,... When I key in those codes and press the dial button, the device shows as if it is dialing the number and then "Disconnected" shows on the phone..

The phone was operating fine in the USA on Sprint or T Mobile as far as voice calls .

I plan to visit AIS and see if they will assist..

Thanks

GB

Edited by garvin123g

^ I think you have to have a Blackberry package in order to get onto the network. You can get wither a prepaid or post-paid BB plan.

http://www.ais.co.th...ckberry/tariff/

http://www.ais.co.th...ry_package.html

Thanks for the links!

I was in Bangkok the last two days, I live out Hwy 304 in Nong Chok ..

Very strange this BB worked fine in the city with my AIS SIM. But when I returned "Home" it did not work (Same ONE call after re-boot) My Brother in law plugged in his DTAC Sim and it worked fine. we tried His AIS sim in my BB and same result , One Call per re-boot. My AIS SIm worked fine in HIS BB..

Very Strange.

I did not get to AIS yet, but will soon. At least I know I can use the BB as a phone in Bangkok. Will get a BB plan / data plan soon.. Probably a Pay as you go ..As I would use it only in Cities I guess....

Thanks again

GB

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update.I now have an AIS 12call Sim in the blackberry. Data works great everywhere I have been with the SIM in the phone.In town, Data and Voice work fine on this AIS system. But in my home area, Nong Chok / Lum Puk Chi.. near President Golf, Voice does NOT work. (One call / SMS and then need to reboot to make a call) Data again works fine,.I tried a DTAC SIM on pre pay w/ a Blackberry service, It worked fine Voice and Data for a few days in my "Home" location, then the Data did not work.. many calls to DTAC, no help.. Trip to DTAC center in Paragon, no resolve.. Again Data quit qorking, but Voice calls normal.;AIS 12call in and around Bangkok, Voice and DATA normal. At home, Data fine, no Voice.So now I am operating temp on 2 phones, one AIS in my Samsung for voice calls, (Contract Seranade customer for +10 or more years) DATA on the BB AIS Pre Paid 12 call DATA everyehre, Voice when in town (for me occasionaly as I live out here no need to go into town often)I have done a lot of research, so far I have unlocked the CDMA side of the phone and can reach and edit my CDMA Engineering "Service Edit Screen". I have edited my Mobile Directory # repalcing the old US phone # with my cell # here. and as well the IMSI_S# (same as cell #) I found and also edited the Mobil Country Code to 520 (MCC#) and the Mobil Network Code # to 01 (MNC#)There are some other settings I need to edit on this screen;The Home SID# (currently set to 4139) and the HOME NID # (Currently set to 65535)I do not know what the local AIS settings for this are.. so I do not know what to change them to.I further need theMO VOICE SO # (now set at 3)and theMO Voice SO Roam# (now set at 32768)This is low level engineering settings and AIS tech thinks I am speaking Greek, lol so far..I DID at least get them to give me the MCC and MNC #'s .. They seem to fear they are giving out "TOP SECRET" Data lol...I have not yet been succesful in finding what these settings should be for Thailand and AIS in particular.I believe it is related to the situation that THIS model BB is Primairly a CDMA phone with GSM capability (As opposed to a Primairly GSM phone with CDMA functionality) and that this side of the phone, the CDMA side, is still programed to SEEK Sprint Network first. over CDMA. and when the "Seek" fails or times out, things get weird.. and That happens in perhaps the somewhat dead / low signal area of Nong Chok (on the Voice side of the phone)So I f anyone can point me in the direction to find those settings it would be great.. AIS is still working with me and step by step they see WHY I want the settings so..... (Also many do not even know what these settings are or what they do... so they are reluctant to discuss them but a few do and get it..)I believe I will have to completly "DE-Brand" the phone, removing any and ALL trace of the origional carrier Sprint .. Beyond just removing the Sprint 'Splash screen" but ALL Sprint references ..ie the VENDOR ID CODE (104 = SPRINT) and all other US Sprint settings ..This is a pretty technical operation.. and I would still need the proper settings to re program the phone manually once I wipe SPRNT from the phone ..But I believe I will get there.. It has been a learning experience.. most would have thrown in the towel and bought a new / used BB.. but I like a challenge ;-) And I know way much more than I did a few weeks ago.SO if some GURU out there can provide the settings I asked for and or point me where to get them,, appreciated.. This is all somewhat low level stuff so.. there may only be a few of you who know / understnad what I am looking for..

Edited by garvin123g

I plan to try an I Moble 3G X SIM card. The plan is 299 B / month pre pay; for like 2,000 MB of data / internet and includes a BB plan. Operating on 2100 mhz. I hear the data is magic, and the voice is crap.. but that what I am stuck with for now anyway.. untill I work up the hutspa to completly DE Brand this phone.. A very low level programing task I am 'cautious' about undertaking.

I plan to try an I Moble 3G X SIM card. The plan is 299 B / month pre pay; for like 2,000 MB of data / internet and includes a BB plan. Operating on 2100 mhz. I hear the data is magic, and the voice is crap.. but that what I am stuck with for now anyway.. untill I work up the hutspa to completly DE Brand this phone.. A very low level programing task I am 'cautious' about undertaking.

What heck is "hutspa"? ;) Chutzpah is perhaps demonstrated by asking someone to read a single paragraph/sentence with little or no punctuation or grammar. :)

• Like 1