Usd/Thb At 52 Week High

Seriously I don't get it. The value of the $ is going higher against every major currency. How is it not gaining more value against the bht?

You might also ask why for example the pound is currently not depreciating more against the baht. Managed convertability within an adjustable range.

I do see a 40% chance of Dollar parity with the Euro by the end of the year. Dollars are in huge demand as fund managers have fewer and fewer choices of assets that meet the required strength for the perspective funds. Dollar will go to 35 and the Thai exporters will be happy, and they will hit their GDP numbers.

Lets go Greece getting bounced out of the Euro that should be good for another baht or two. Basically the dollar is looking a lot more stable vs the Euro so more dollars are being bought<Bonds>. If Greece exits the Euro its going to cost a pretty penny or two to repair the damage. Greece will be a great place for tourism because it will be the Cambodia of Europe A currency worth nothing, no money to pay for anything including infrastructure, corrupt cronies and a massive unemployment rate<Not 100% sure of Cambodias UE%> all having to survive on stuff people built over a 1000<Greece 3000+> years ago.

Don't be concerned. It always drops when retirement checks start coming in, from the 27th-5th of the month. Yet, the government says it is market driven. That's a joke. It's obvious it's government driven. This happens every month.

That's hillarious, you think the US government manipulates the USD Forex markets just to weaken USD so that the SSc pension payments cost them less money, wow, time to head home I think!

I think the suggestion, amusing or not, is that it is the Thai authorities playing with the FX rate.

Was also interesting to learn that Kaspersky´s is located in Russia. which would have raised my eyebrows before.

Don't be concerned. It always drops when retirement checks start coming in, from the 27th-5th of the month. Yet, the government says it is market driven. That's a joke. It's obvious it's government driven. This happens every month.

That's hillarious, you think the US government manipulates the USD Forex markets just to weaken USD so that the SSc pension payments cost them less money, wow, time to head home I think!

I think the suggestion, amusing or not, is that it is the Thai authorities playing with the FX rate.

Regardless, Ralphie posted this morning (the 31st) stating that the dollar weakens against the baht every month from the 27th to the 5th. He was obviously wrong from the time he hit "Post". The dollar is still gaining strength at this point and for the last few days.

Regardless, Ralphie posted this morning (the 31st) stating that the dollar weakens against the baht every month from the 27th to the 5th. He was obviously wrong from the time he hit "Post". The dollar is still gaining strength at this point and for the last few days.

Could it not also be the case that although the dollar may be strengthening against the baht, that its advance is relatively constrained compared to the rate of dollar strengthening against other currencies, like a dog on a leash?

• Like 1

Unquestionably that's the answer.

• Like 1

Even if it was true I think I would just have my retirement check sent to my home country bank and then setup an automatic monthly transfer to where it arrives at a person's Thai bank account during whatever period each month the rate is supposedly better like from the mentioned 6th to the 26th of each month.

Unquestionably that's the answer.

The Chinese are clearly playing with the forex. It's obvious the Chinese Thai are doing it too. Doesn't look very difficult.

The rate the Euro is going the USD should head up to the high 30's range. Back where it should be. I hope soon.

Watching everything on the news with why China devalues their currency to compete heavily with the US and Europe. There could be a lot more exports in Thailand if they would follow that model. If Thailands currency were devalued, there would likely be a lot more imports of farang too. biggrin.png

Edited by yougivemebaby

The Chinese are clearly playing with the forex. It's obvious the Chinese Thai are doing it too. Doesn't look very difficult.

The rate the Euro is going the USD should head up to the high 30's range. Back where it should be. I hope soon.

The Chinese do not 'play' with FX. The yuan is not a convertible currency and so a fixed trading range is set against the USD.

The baht appears to be 'not quite' a fully convertible currency. There appears to be a dual system. A fully convertible rate on external exchanges and managed 'domestic' rates seen with the domestic banks and FX shops.

Edited by yoshiwara

The Chinese do not 'play' with FX. The yuan is not a convertible currency and so a fixed trading range is set against the USD.

The baht appears to be 'not quite' a fully convertible currency. There appears to be a dual system. A fully convertible rate on external exchanges and managed 'domestic' rates seen with the domestic banks and FX shops.

Because it has been changing much lower before the market even opens, you're right. they aren't playing with it. It's 'magic' LOL.

no offence meant. but in my [not so] humble view you should more concentrate on 'give baby' than on Thai Chinese playing with Forex wink.png

No, Thailand governs the exchange rate here. IMO. Why else would it be up during the month and around the time retirement checks come in, it takes a down turn? It does this every month and has for a long time.

Edited by ralphlsasser

Part of the calculation in currency index rates is the amount of cash reserves the holding country has in the foreign currency. Thailand is sitting on truckloads of greenbacks, which factors into the exchange rate. As the USD rises against other currencies, it has less impact on Thailand due their reserves in USDs, thus holding down the exchange rate.

The USD has been the flight to safety in the most recent EU debacle, driving up the USD index rate, but killing the equities markets. T-Bill rates are at record lows as capital searches for safe ground. The real question is, where is the money going to go when the US melts down in the next few months. Ugly, ugly times on the horizon.

The reason the bhat is a strong currency is the King who's picture is on the money has a lot of gold, and more importantly Thailand doesn't water down it's currency as much as other countries by printing up a larger money supply every day week or month. The reason it can't be too strong is that it's an export nation and that makes it's exports less competetive.

Just hold on a sec. I've got a tinfoil hat in the back room that will look really good on you.

Just hold on a sec. I've got a tinfoil hat in the back room that will look really good on you.

ah sez it's them ksenofobic Thai gomment who wants us Ferlangs (Farungs, Farlunks, Furlongs, whatever) out of the Land of Smiles. they preshure us with duble pricings in zoos, 90 days reporting, high bahtbus fares and exchange rate manipoolayshuns!

annoyed.gif

No, Thailand governs the exchange rate here. IMO. Why else would it be up during the month and around the time retirement checks come in, it takes a down turn? It does this every month and has for a long time.

If you look closely at USD/THB you will see it runs in weekly cycles where THB ends each week about fifty satang stronger than the previous day, this "laying at rest" principle ensures that no unofrseen events taking place over a weekend disadvanatge the currency and also put it in a position position of relative strength for the comming trading week - look at the 90 day USD/THB pattern using the link below:

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

And whilst playing around with that link, please demonstrate to us how the BOT manipulates USD/THB to our disadvantage, above and beyond the para above.

Part of the calculation in currency index rates is the amount of cash reserves the holding country has in the foreign currency. Thailand is sitting on truckloads of greenbacks, which factors into the exchange rate. As the USD rises against other currencies, it has less impact on Thailand due their reserves in USDs, thus holding down the exchange rate.

A selectively rising currency you say, ah, we wont increase our value against THB because Thailand holds lots of Dollars but we will increase against country Y because they don't, an interesting dream theory. Also, you don't describe how Thailand acquired those fistfulls of US Dollars, how do you think that happened, tourism reciepts perhaps? wub.png

If you look closely at USD/THB you will see it runs in weekly cycles where THB ends each week about fifty satang stronger than the previous day, this "laying at rest" principle ensures that no unofrseen events taking place over a weekend disadvanatge the currency and also put it in a position position of relative strength for the comming trading week - look at the 90 day USD/THB pattern using the link below:

http://www.oanda.com...ency/converter/

And whilst playing around with that link, please demonstrate to us how the BOT manipulates USD/THB to our disadvantage, above and beyond the para above.

This month is the first in a long time. Look back through the previous months.