Ptt Buying Up Land

TPI

PTT buying up...farms

When the Minister for commerce complained about “foreigners” buying up large swathes of Thai land I was horrified! Foreigners buying up Pathet Thai!

I must admit to my surprise when I saw in the Business Section of Monday's paper (BP) that PTT had aquired 1.25 million rai, at a cost of US$1 billion, in foreign lands!

The logic escapes me, Thailand is complaining that foreigners are buying up their land through proxies while in Indonesia, Malaysia and Myanmar Thailand is doing the same only Thailand wants to buy a further 3.125 million rai?

The question of course is; Is it reasonable for the Thai Minister (the Government) to complain about foreigners buying up precious land when its own organisations are in a virtual feeding frenzy in neighbouring lands?

The difference seems to be that the foreigners are buying the land for food security in the future whereas PTT is buying the foreign land to improve its shareholders returns!

Perfidious Thailand.

There has always been a double standard here. Should not surprise anyone.

Just wait, in a few years a member of the government will show up and sell his/her PTT shares for several billion and claim there was no wrong doing, He/she will claim "I was just lucky enough to buy 50% of the shares when the [silent] IPO was issued and I could buy them for 1,000 baht. How can you claim there was any wrong doing on my part?!?".

• 2 months later...