Tragedy Strikes Phuket Games As Athlete Dies In Motorbike Accident

webfact

Tragedy strikes Phuket Games as athlete dies in motorbike accident

Phuket Gazette

accident.jpeg

The accident occured as the young Phuket Games athletes were rounding a bend in the road near Rawai Cable TV. Photo: Google Street View

PHUKET: -- A young athlete from Bangkok, scheduled to compete for a gold medal in the Phuket Games rowing competition today, died in a tragic motorbike accident in Rawai this morning.

The driver of the vehicle was rushed to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.

Chalong Police confirmed the identity of the victim as Sutthipong Laguthamma, aged 18.

The driver of the borrowed Honda motorbike lost control of the vehicle coming down a steep, curved section of the Baan Rawai – Baan Nai Harn Road, near the Rawai Cable TV office.

The bike hit a wall and Mr Suttipong, who was riding pillion without a crash helmet, died of massive head trauma, said the police.

Police questioned the boy’s coach, who told them that all of his athletes were under strict orders not to ride motorbikes during their stay in Phuket.

Like many other athletes in the rowing competition held in Nai Harn Lagoon, Mr Suttipong was staying at Nai Harn Temple.

Bottles of drinking water were found scattered at the accident scene, possibly indicating that the boys had gone off to buy water.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16075.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-31

I drove past the very spot at 09:30 when it had just happened.

Looked grim, just driving past. I did not stop and offer help, as there was already one of those quick reaction force type trucks and a crowd of maybe 15 people.

My condolences to his friends and his family, and may he rest in peace.

Very, very sad.

But, clearly, the 'strict orders' weren't strict enough. One hopes all the other athletes here at the moment take notice of this, and learn.

cheesy.gif Learn what I might ask...????? I can't believe you are serious...!

Did you even read the article? What exactly don't you understand?

The athletes were under strict orders not to ride bikes. Somebody didn't do as they were told and is now dead. 'Seaeagle' hopes the other athletes will now do as they are told and not ride a bike while they are here, which I'm pretty sure they won't.

What part of this story or the replies do you find so hilarious?? sick.gif