3 Budget Airlines To Return To Don Muang Airport

webfact

3 Budget Airlines to Return to Don Muang Airport

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand is in the process of negotiating with three low-cost airlines to move their operation back to Don Muang Airport in a bid to reduce congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Airports of Thailand, or AOT, President Anirut Thanomkulabut spoke of the progress in seeking cooperation from low-cost airlines to move their operation back to Don Muang Airport to ease congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport, saying the AOT is in the process of negotiating with three airlines.

Anirut said he expected more clarity on the matter in July when Don Muang Airport will be fully ready to welcome airlines volunteering to move in.

He noted that the relocation of low-cost airlines' services to Don Muang Airport will be completed by the end of this year and this will reduce the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport by two to three percent, or eight million people per year.

The Suvarnbhumi Airport has a current capacity of 45 million passengers per year, but 51 million people use the airport a year now.

In the meantime, Chief Executive Officer of Asia Aviation and low-cost carrier Thai Air Asia, Tassapol Bijleveld, stated that the company is in the process of considering moving its operation back to Don Maung Airport and expects to reach a conclusion within the next couple of months.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-31

footer_n.gif

I pray that AirAsia is not going there! If I have known earlier, I would not booked my 4 flights with them for later in the year.

Whatever happens, you can be sure that Air Asia will choose the cheapest option for them.

Yermaneewai.gif

I pray that AirAsia is not going there! If I have known earlier, I would not booked my 4 flights with them for later in the year.

I always liked DM but the problem now is going to be what happens when it rains?

post-51760-0-54798000-1338459432_thumb.j

No problem The Airports of Thailand are planning to issue passengers with umbrellas - oh, and wellington boots!!

• Like 1

He noted that the relocation of low-cost airlines' services to Don Muang Airport will be completed by the end of this year and this will reduce the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport by two to three percent, or eight million people per year.

Now math was never my strong suite, but 2-3% (lets use 2.5%) would be 1/40 of the total, so if that equals 8 million people per year, then the total volumn must be (40x8=) 320 million people per year.

Obviously TAT is pulling numbers out of their lower orifice again.

On the other hand, if the current 45 million per year is correct, 2.5% would be about 1.125 million people, not 8 million.

• Like 1

I always liked DM but the problem now is going to be what happens when it rains?

post-51760-0-54798000-1338459432_thumb.j

No problem The Airports of Thailand are planning to issue passengers with umbrellas - oh, and wellington boots!!

...and build elevated runways to keep business running smoothly.

If Air Asia moves to DM, then it will really screw over all of us living out in the rural areas, as there will be no way to make an international connections with out some kind of transportation between the two airports...And there is NO GOOD WAY TO TRAVEL FROM ONE AIRPORT TO THE OTHER...SUCKS!!!

• Like 2

If Air Asia moves to DM, then it will really screw over all of us living out in the rural areas, as there will be no way to make an international connections with out some kind of transportation between the two airports...And there is NO GOOD WAY TO TRAVEL FROM ONE AIRPORT TO THE OTHER...SUCKS!!!

Indeed and there must be some hidden agenda to move a few flights back to DM sad.png

I landed around 7 am Swampy last week and had continuation flight to Udon Thani with Thai Airways at 09.20.

But Thai changed their departure time to 07.05 sad.png

Next flight at 14.00 coffee1.gif

Nok moved to DM, Air Asia cancelled 11.00 flight low season.

I will watch out next trip to Europe not arriving around 07 am if no flights to Udon until 14 something!

If it's that much of a concern, the flights / destinations you have booked can't be of much precedence!

We just never get tired of that same old joke. How many more times are you going to tell it?

Until they fix the problem.

Which is likely to be long after I'm dead.

But don't worry, your grandchildren will be able to read posts by my grandchildren highlighting the exact same problem when we're both dead.

I just hope you see the joke when you can't get a flight out (or in) because the airport is flooded.

Unless of course they intend to bring these back into service?

post-51760-0-13795800-1338551160_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hope free helicopter transfers will be offered to passengers with connecting flight operated from each airport!

Or will there be a skytrain line be built to connect before the airport shift?

What the &^%* Airasia is considering moving to DM....does it not weigh on the connectivity of its international flights...beatdeadhorse.gif

The OP doesn't say Domestic flights only. If AA moves, it will move all it's flights, domestic and international so no problem connecting from one AA flight to another.

One of these days they will build roads in this country.

Not very newsworthy here.

Airlines in the "process of considering moving" is hardly the same as the story title "3 Budget airlines to return to Don Muang Airport". The head of Orient Thai has already said it needs incentives to offset the cost to move operations yet again. And no mention of THAI, who vacated a couple of years back. I guess Nok will sub for THAI in this case.

Thai Air Asia actually has a good opportunity to build its regional network feeding into its other hubs in Phuket and elsewhere. Southwest Airlines in the US built up its whole network by using secondary airports and quickly turning around flights.

Just what I said last month and many TV donkeys ridiculed me?

These budget airlines have NO CHOICE they have to move over to DM before the end of this year all comments about incentives etc are just smoke and mirrors.

Thai is the National Carrier and not a budget airline so why people are commenting on them is beyond me? (I am talking about Thai that will be stay fully operational from Swampy not ThaiSmile or Nok)

Hope free helicopter transfers will be offered to passengers with connecting flight operated from each airport!

Or will there be a skytrain line be built to connect before the airport shift?

London has had 5 international airports for many years so has vast experience at this. The answers to the above is no and no.

You just have to struggle around the worst and most expensive public transport system known to man. And crappy weather to enhance the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai is the National Carrier and not a budget airline so why people are commenting on them is beyond me? (I am talking about Thai that will be stay fully operational from Swampy not ThaiSmile or Nok)

Well, THAI was one of the three airlines that retained its domestic service from DMK after the international airport moved to the "new" BKK. It was only later that it moved *all* of its flights to the new BKK.

That's why. THAI can always be used by its government owners as a lever to bring traffic at DMK up to sustainable economic levels.

I think it's good, Air-Asia not just Thai air asia will re-locate, It will be their Low Cost Carrier hub as in kuala lumpar, If anything A.A. will dominate don muang with international departures/ arrivals, which will set up competition for nok air or orient thai to fly short hop international flights, & the winners are yes the travellers !I can only see positives, flights will be re-scheduled to maximise int. travellers axis to the tourist getto,s, shuttle express buses between airports, It will bring back life to the old girl (don muang)

regards songhklasidclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif