Any Cyclists Here?

mitchell44

Hello from Pattaya. I'm a casual cyclist and I prefer cycling to my motorbike. I'd like to spend more time in Bkk but worry I would not be able to cycle anywhere central except the parks. But without a vehicle, how does one get their bicycle to the parks (Lumpini and Rot Fai)? Is there an extra cost on BTS? What's the protocol? Is it true that cycling is forbidden in JJ park? How "safe" are the designated cycling paths in central Bkk, if any? My friends would never cycle in Pattaya but I do and feel oddly safe.

Thank you.

Reasonably good cycling right in central Bkk! Bikes can be taken on BTS . . . get off at Asoke and either going along the sidewalk towards Queen Sirikit Convention Center or down Soi 10, it's not far to Benjakiti Park, which has a 2km bike track around the lake, so easy to do 10-20 km. There's a bike path from there to Lumphini, tho you'll have to walk the bike up some steep ramps on several bridges there. But all off the streets, hardly any bike or pedestrian traffic at all. Lumphini is a little more crowded, but a pleasant ride. I think it's 2.5km around the park there, but it's only open for bikes from 10 AM to 3 PM. There are also plenty of other places around town. Check out http://bicyclethailand.com/.

There is a park next to Chatuchak Park where you can use your bicycle. Other good options are Lumpini Park in central or Suan Luang Rama 9 Park in east Bangkok. Foldable bicycles are popular here and they will fit into a taxi.

Furthermore Bang Kachao is relatively safe in the daytime.

full.png

Edited by Xonax

I cycle all over the place here in Bkk, you are fine most of the time. You have to keep your witts about you at all times, but most drivers are pretty good. What you have to watch are busses and the white mini van drivers, they tend to pull out a lot, but other than that it's not as bad as it may look like. Just try not to do anything unpredictable and you will be fine

I cycle all over the place here in Bkk, you are fine most of the time. You have to keep your witts about you at all times, but most drivers are pretty good. What you have to watch are busses and the white mini van drivers, they tend to pull out a lot, but other than that it's not as bad as it may look like. Just try not to do anything unpredictable and you will be fine

I think you're right in this assessment. Thanks for giving me hope. What I'd like to know is if I can bring my bike on the bus from Pattaya??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...