Disinfecting Sandals

blueiz

Does any of you know if it is possible to buy something to disinfect my sandals? They become a bit smelly quite fast... I've been to BigC and Homepro, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Rubbing alcohol. Get a big bottle and empty some of it into a sprayer such as you can buy at Tesco. Spray 'em off and wipe down a couple of times. Thereafter spray sandals and your feet before you wear them. Good for preventing crotch itch and as a quick underarm deo too.

Or white vinegar, let dry and it doesn't smell like a salad.

Hydrogen peroxide, dilute and spray on.

I always wear socks with mine smile.png socks easy to clean smile.png

Ha ha ha Yes socks will solve the problem or else stop buying sandals with that synthetic/ nylon-y mesh lining that soaks up the odours and get plain leather linings. I can't stand the smell of my feet after half a day if i use sandals with that synthetic lining in them . Imagine how everybody else feels if you can't stand the smell of your own feet. Gets a you seat on the BTS tho.

Leather should not smell as you describe,but yes, whilst in the US a few years ago the USA purchased leather sandals ,footlocker chain whatever it was called,gees ,think it was the skin or tanning ,one wetting and smelt to high heaven. Threw them in disinfectant,just do not get them wet

All the ideas above are great ... but western thinking ... KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

We are in Thailand so take the simple approach.

Make sure the sandals are 'clean' ... no dirt.

Hop in the swimming pool ... the chlorine gets into every nook and cranny and they stay fresh for weeks.

Don't believe me ... try it first ... just 5 mins worn and walking is enough.

It's quite common for the plastic furniture, when a bit of mould is showing, to chuck them in the pool overnight.

Assuming, of course that they are of a non-leather type.

If leather, then see above posts for a solution.

Which disinfectant remains stable over time when in a bucket or something and can be used during several days for disinfection?

is chlorine stable, or does it evaporate?

Dont be using pool chlorine in concentrated form....handle it wrong can be very dangerous its a very powerful oxidiser...yes chlorine "evaporates" they used to use Chlorine gas in the war...

Which disinfectant remains stable over time when in a bucket or something and can be used during several days for disinfection?

Dont be using pool chlorine in concentrated form....handle it wrong can be very dangerous its a very powerful oxidiser...yes chlorine "evaporates" they used to use Chlorine gas in the war...

sigh... I had chemistry classes, thank you.

I meant chlorine as in bleach, or a bit stronger, like 2.5% concentration.

=> what disinfectant can I keep as aqueous solution in an open washing pan for several days without the active ingredient degrading too much?

Edited by manarak

=> what disinfectant can I keep as aqueous solution in an open washing pan for several days without the active ingredient degrading too much?

Well if you had "Chemistry" class....you would know the answers then as regards chlorine ...so why ask on here there ?

As regards the disinfectant...use dettol

Edited by Soutpeel

Well if you had "Chemistry" class....you would know the answers then as regards chlorine ...so why ask on here there ?

As regards the disinfectant...use dettol

can't know everything, for example how fast it evaporates...

wondered if there were other substances that are better suited.

the wikipedia page on disinfectants is informative though.

KMNO4 would be ideal, but it colors brown everything it touches - good for the feet and brown sandals only :-)

Bleach probably remains the best option.

Jeyes fluid !! Anybody seen it here?

Yes but cant remember were..sorry...I seen it on a shelf and it was a flash back to my youth.... 6' of steel steel conduit, 6" nail, masking tape, pool chlorine, jeyes fluid and a tree......think you can figure out what we were doing...whistling.gif

Lets just pool chlorine and jeyes fluid mix together rather well...laugh.png