Trying To Get The Sound Through All Of The Speakers From The Tv

BIGJIMMY

I have an LG stereo in a room in our house that is wired up to the tv at the other end of the room, I have surround speakers in the corners of the room so when I play a DVD on the stereo the sound goes through all the speakers - lovely jubbly, when I have the tv on and am watching the cable channels I can't get the sound through the speakers, in the main room of the house we have an LG DVD player with surround speakers etc and can watch the tv with sound playing through all of said speakers, the difference in these machines when I'm pressing the mode button is the the DVD player has AUX, thats when the sound gets plumbed through all of the speakers, my little stereo in the other room doesn't have AUX on it - is that why I can't get the sound through all the speakers??

It's probably a nieve question but I was hoping that someone will say - all you need to do is..........

I have obviously been playing around with all the mode options but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

The sound will have to be input to the LG Stereo so look at the back of the unit and see whether it has any input jacks. They may not be called "Aux" though. If it does then you will need a cable connecting to that from either the cable box or the TV.

Even if the stereo has inputs, it is possible that neither the cable box or the TV support sound out depending on their capabilities. Looking carefully at the rear jacks on all 3 units will tell you more easily than wading through instruction manuals.

Cheers

It's got nothing to do with the input jacks - aux simply means your cable's plugged into the "auxilliary" input. It's more to do with how your system decodes the signals it's receiving than whether your tv is plugged into "line in", or "aux", or whatever the external input is called on that particular model.

The problem, of course, is that it is receiving a basic stereo signal so it's receiving no information to tell it what to play through the rear speakers. There should be a way to set the output mode to "pseudo surround".

Most home theater systems have the ability to play a standard stereo input through all 5.1 speakers, by setting it to pseudo surround mode (different systems call it different things).

Thanks folks for the replies, between the stereo and the tv we have the 3 cables, red, white and yellow, there is another plug on the back of the stereo be we have nothing in it, as I said when I play a DVD on the stereo to watch on the tv I can get the sound through the surround speakers in the wall but nothing through the stereo when just watching the normal TV, i'm guessing that if we were to get another cable plugged into the empty jack on the back of the stereo and plug it into the tv then it might work but unfortunately all of the cables that we currently have are all in the wall and through the ceiling, we had them all fitted when we built the house, I guess I'll just have to keep the volume up on the TV!!

Thanks

Jimmy

Aha... I got the wrong end of the stick, assumed you already had a 2-way setup between the home theater and tv...

The red white & yellow you have now, is only for going from dvd to tv.

Yes, you need another cable - a red & white from the tv's "audio out" to the DVD's "tv (or aux) in".

Then, whatever's on your tv the audio will play through your home theater speakers once you select tv (or aux) as an input from the remote control (and change the audio mode to pseudo surround if necessary)

In your situation the way you describe your cables, is tricky - but without the need to run extra cables you could move the red and white on the tv from "in" to "out", and move them at the home theater end from "out" to "in". Pain in the neck if you frequently switch between watching dvd's and tv but it would work if you really want to hear tv through your home theater speakers...

As an aside, your better option from the beginning would have been HDMI from the DVD to the TV and red/white phono audio from the tv's out to the dvd in. You'd have got a better picture quality (when watching dvd's) than the s-video cable you're using now, and your tv would've come back through your home theater no problem.

Edited by bobl