Thai Post Office

Crossy

OK, just been to our local post agent (the actual post office is miles away) to send a couple of CD's to my parents (genuine Thai VCDs for a neigbour in the UK).

Discs were in a Jiffy Bag, good condition but obviously previously used (I like to recycle that sort of thing), no misleading markings, stamps etc.

"Cannot do, must be new packaging" :o

Now I've done this all over the world, as long as the bag is sound and without markings that could be misleading I've never had a problem.

Is it a requirement of the Thai post office that packaging not be re-used, or did the agent just want to sell me a new bag (when I said I'd go and put it in a new bag at home it was suddenly OK to send)?

They also insisted that 'United Kingdom' is not correct, must be 'Great Britain and Northern Ireland' (that's what their computer says).

Just so I'll know next time :D

Is it a requirement of the Thai post office that packaging not be re-used, or did the agent just want to sell me a new bag

emm .. im not sure.. but for Domestic Parcel, we can use re-used box for make a parcel

maybe in case of international parcel, standard box can make it 's easy to carry and arrange when transport

44-S-000017_l.gif

Service Name : International Parcel

Service Information : A package of items, products or product samples addressed to international recipients.

Condition For Service

: Maximum Size

Each side must not exceed 1,500 mm in length. The longest side plus the total length when measuring all sides of the parcel is not over 3,000 mm.

Minimum Size

90 x 140 mm. Roll up the long side + 2 times of diameter at least 170 mm. The longest side is at least 100 mm.

Maximum weight

30 kg

It is always a problem dealing with a country with and an apparent infinite number of names:

England

UK

Britain

Great Britain

not counting

Wales

Scotland

Northern Ireland

But the correct name is

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

So if you put that on your parcel (space permitting) there should be no complaints!

I always put UK, think your PO is being awkward.

It was just a ploy to sell new bags..........

I usually write England,

unless the letter is to Scotland, then I write United Kingdom.

It be absolutely correct it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland,

just like it says on the passport.

The ppl working at these agents often do not know much about their business.

United Kingdom ALWAYS works as does UK.

Packages might be old but most not be coloredl, brown or white is ok.

They would not take a red package with stars on it for example.

Better use the post office (which is cheaper too) or change your agent.