Where In Chiang Mai Are The Temperatures 20C-25C Year Around?

tangcoral

I have been to the upper parts of maerim (elevation 1000+meters) in the dead of summer and the temp were hovering around 25c

Also been to Pong Yaeng, where panviman hotel is located as it seemed cool there year around.

I also hear mae pong is cool as well but can't confirm. Also visited the outsirts of doi inthanon, half way to the peak was very cool year round.

Doi suthep maybe?

Would you happen to know any other districts that are cool year around? I would imagine anywhere that has a elevation higher than 1000 meters.

I will be visiting chiangmai in a few weeks and wanted to check out these parts of the region. Any info is much appreciated.

Or better yet, does anyone know of any website that shows me geographical/topographic map on elevation of thailand.

Edited by tangcoral

Google Earth is very detailed. When you turn on 3D viewing you will find, as you move your cursor over an area, that it will give you the elevation directly beside the co-ordinates section along the bottom. IE: Chiang Mai Airport = 318 M (1012 ft) above sea level. Old city = 315 M (1040 ft), the Temple on Doi Suthep = 1025 M (3330 ft) Where I live = 325 M (1056 ft). This is the actual elevation, the elevation listed on the right and side (bottom) is the bird's eye view.

Terrain

The terrain option shows 3D elevation of your current view. Elevation is limited to natural geographic features, like mountains and canyons, and does not apply to buildings. Turn this feature on to get an even clearer image of your favorite ski resort or canyon trail.

You can turn terrain on by selecting:

Windows/Linux: Tools > Options > 3D View. Under the Terrain Quality section, select the 'Show terrain' box.

Mac: Google Earth > Preferences > 3D View. Under the Terrain Quality section, select the 'Show terrain' box.

You can also adjust the appearance of the terrain if you would like the elevation to appear more pronounced in your views by modifying the 'Elevation Exaggeration value'. The default value is set to 1, but you can set it to any value from 1 to 3, including decimal points. A common setting is 1.5, which achieves an obvious yet natural elevation appearance.

• Like 1

Thanks I didn't know this

Google Earth is very detailed. When you turn on 3D viewing you will find, as you move your cursor over an area, that it will give you the elevation directly beside the co-ordinates section along the bottom. IE: Chiang Mai Airport = 318 M (1012 ft) above sea level. Old city = 315 M (1040 ft), the Temple on Doi Suthep = 1025 M (3330 ft) Where I live = 325 M (1056 ft). This is the actual elevation, the elevation listed on the right and side (bottom) is the bird's eye view.

Terrain

The terrain option shows 3D elevation of your current view. Elevation is limited to natural geographic features, like mountains and canyons, and does not apply to buildings. Turn this feature on to get an even clearer image of your favorite ski resort or canyon trail.

You can turn terrain on by selecting:

Windows/Linux: Tools > Options > 3D View. Under the Terrain Quality section, select the 'Show terrain' box.

Mac: Google Earth > Preferences > 3D View. Under the Terrain Quality section, select the 'Show terrain' box.

You can also adjust the appearance of the terrain if you would like the elevation to appear more pronounced in your views by modifying the 'Elevation Exaggeration value'. The default value is set to 1, but you can set it to any value from 1 to 3, including decimal points. A common setting is 1.5, which achieves an obvious yet natural elevation appearance.

Not surprised how you achieved 4000+ post so quickly.

Well, you asked a question and I answered. The above mentioned places are within your requested temperature zone. If you want these temperatures outside, you'll not find it in CM or inThailand for that matter. smile.png

Well, you asked a question and I answered. The above mentioned places are within your requested temperature zone. If you want these temperatures outside, you'll not find it in CM or inThailand for that matter. smile.png

Me and Semper have had our set to's on here in the past but I agree with him, "Ask a silly question, get a silly answer"
  • Like 1

I have been to all those areas when in winter it is single digets and also I have been there when it has been almost 40 also

Near the Ocean it is more constant, with less change as we get up north, but still it is warmer than you have said

Me and Semper have had our set to's on here in the past but I agree with him, "Ask a silly question, get a silly answer"

wub.png

Samoeng...or Mae Salong in Chiangrai....

Samoeng is in a valley just like CM and not substantially cooler if at all. I believe the altitude is about 400 meters.

I agree with the OP that Pong Yaeng and the surrounding area would probably have the most pleasant weather this time of year in a populated area.

are higher area indeed cooler? i usually stay in pai most of the time, its still dam_n hot and afternoon sun is really scorching . im in chiang mai, infact i find it cooler . . maybe because it rains pretty often now?

Pai is in a valley too. Most towns are, actually; that's where the water is, and flatter land. There are some challenges to living on a mountain.

Tangcoral.... Higher is always cooler, but even up high it sometimes gets hot. In your post, I think you are referring to Mae Kampong which is 50 km east of CM on HWY 1317. The village is in a deep valley and we have had some very cold nights in cabins there even in the warm season. Take the steep road up over the pass and you can find waterfalls and a hot spring where you can camp, as well as very primitive home stays. It is an interesting area off the normal tourist path which I always find cooler than any other place around Chiang Mai.

http://www.mae-kampong.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=395987

http://www.cbtnetwork.org/commu01baan_mae_kampong.html

Yes, that is the road into the Jaeson NP. You also pass TharnThong lodge which is a beautiful place to have lunch. I sometimes go there just for lunch even if it is quite far.

If you follow this road (4074) past the Jaeson springs it meets the 1252 where you can go left and all the way back to the Doi Saket - Chiang Rai road. Before you get there you can go left to tambon Thepsadet here are many small villages that grow coffee and e.g. at the end of the year they picked the beans that are laid to dry everywhere you pass.

Great ride but in winter it is really cold

Forgot - you can also use http://www.wunderground.com/ It is a very high relief weather map that will give you a very clear view of the topography in any given area. Oh yeah, detailed weather as well. It also has significant historical weather details and is fully searchable.

For instance: Mae Hong Son - Elevation = 633 M (from Google Earth)

Then from Wunderground's monthly historical data: (I just picked a random day/month - Jan 1010.

Temperature Max Temperature 34 °C 32 °C 28 °C Mean Temperature 26 °C 23 °C 20 °C Min Temperature 21 °C 16 °C 12 °C Degree Days Heating Degree Days (base 65) 0 0 0 0 Cooling Degree Days (base 65) 14 9 4 275 Growing Degree Days (base 50) 28 24 18 746

Edited by DowntownAl

I visited Doi Inthanon yesterday. The temperature at the Air Force installation on the top was 20 degrees (Celsius). Of course, in December it gets much colder, there's even frost on occasion.

I agree with the poster above who said that if you want 20-25 degrees the year around, Thailand is not for you.

/ Priceless

Doi Suthep up top stays cool aroud 25c , I rode up there numerous times during summer to get away from the heat if not only for a few hours.

Once you get past the temple it starts to get quite cool. There may be shacks for rent in the Hmong village.

It is simple you can be anywhere in the Chiang Mai Provence.

All you have to do is set your air conditioner to the temperature you require.

Order your supplies and meals to be delivered.

Problem solvered.

Samoeng is in a valley just like CM and not substantially cooler if at all. I believe the altitude is about 400 meters.

I agree with the OP that Pong Yaeng and the surrounding area would probably have the most pleasant weather this time of year in a populated area.

You need to get above Pong Yang, either up to the neighboring Mong villages like Nong Hoi or Mae Sa Mai or up towards Pong Khrai. There are now two places to stop above Nong Hoi, the Mon Chaem resort and the nearby Mon In Dao eatery. Both spots offer cooler temps then lower elevations but keeping below 25 requires trips to atop Doi Inthanon.

Edited by Johpa