Laptop Locks Up When Wifi Is On

Ohyesuare

I have a Toshiba laptop I bought last year and whenever wifi is turned on everything freezes and I have to force shutdown and restart. Sometimes it locks up right away and sometimes it can take a few minutes. I tried disabling everything in the taskbar but it still crashes. If I boot in safe mode with networking it works fine but I haven't tried it too long. I checked the drivers but they seem ok. Not sure what else it can be.

If you're using safe mode with networking and the wifi works fine, then it's either another driver or resource conflict causing the problem. Check your video or motherboard drivers, they're usually the second most problem. Also, you can try reassigning resources on the wifi to see if the problem changes.

If all goes pear-shaped, computer dies etc., then with toshiba laptops you can totally restore them to as-delivered-from-factory state by holding down (and keep holding) the '0' (zero) key before you power it on.

You better check this (on google) for your model, before taking drastic action. AA

Also, if the OP didn't have issues with this until after a driver update, maybe try rolling back the wifi driver? Having the latest driver does solve most hardware issues but on the odd occasion installing the newest can also be the problem.

Edited by NanLaew

It was like that out of the box, guess whoever loaded all the software <deleted>***d up somehow. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will try and get some drivers from the chips website.

Edited by Ohyesuare

Good luck with Wifi cards web site drivers... it didn't help me and needed the laptop manufacturer to release a BIOS upgrade.

I'd contact Toshiba support if still under warranty if playing with drivers doesn't fix it.... mine was like that out of the box as well, along with many others. Notebook forum is a good source of info on specific brands / models.

Just buy a Dell..never had such a problem.

Can't you just go to task manager and see what's wrong? It could also be a virus, I might be wrong. Why should an outdated driver cause such a problem?

Can't you just go to task manager and see what's wrong? It could also be a virus, I might be wrong. Why should an outdated driver cause such a problem?

cause a machine freezing is always related to hardware issues.

cause a machine freezing is always related to hardware issues.

Hardware issue through out or not updated software like a driver, right?