Where To Unlock A Blackberry?

seraph

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I just got a Blackberry 7290 off eBay. It was described as "New, Unlocked" but, of course, it is locked, presumably by Cingular US. People at Orange here have been very kind and tried to unlock it, but to no avail. I still can't get the unlock code from the phone provider and honestly don't think I ever will. I checked a few shops in MBK but they either don't know a Blackberry or can't do it til February. Is there anybody here who has a blackberry unlocked in Bangkok before? I'd appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

The only way to get it unlocked is to physically send it to a company in Canada, which will cost you US$100. Google for the company name; you might be able to find someone else doing it.

There have been some reports of "insiders" with the phone companies being able to unlock them for you, but nothing reliable.

With Cingular, if you had a rate plan with them for 3 months and are in good standing you can get the unlock code from them. My company has a plan with them, and supposedly I get free international roaming on my $50/month plan. I haven't seen a bill yet, but...

If someone else has information on someone in BKK that can do it, I would really love to unlock mine, but the price has to be a hel_l of a lot lower!

The way I see it, the only simple and free (or cheap) way is to have someone you know in the States call up Cingular, someone who meets the reqs posted above...a friend of mine has the same problem with a Treo650, no one in MBK will touch it :o

Thank you, tjo o tjim and Florin, for your suggestions.

As I got the phone from ebay, I don't know its talk plan history/registration so I can't ask for help from Cingular. It was supposed to be new, never opened, unlocked (as advertised), but turned out the other way round.

I'd rather have it unlocked here than send the phone to Canada, as apart from the unlock fee of US$100 there is a hefty return S&H fee (from Canada to US is US$20 so I imagine at least double that much to Thailand) --- I might as well buy a new phone with that sum. Lol!

There are also some people in the US who will send you the unlock code and instructions if you pay them somewhere between $50-100. I think it is too risky and expensive. I also heard of a guy in UK who charged quite a lot for the unlock cable but didn't deliver as promised.

A guy I talked to at an MBK shop said he would order the unlock device which should be available from mid February. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Still if someone has more info on this, I'd be glad to know. Besides, I'm going to Singapore next week so if anyone has their phones unlocked in shops there before, please let me know where and how much.

Thank you very much.

Thank you, tjo o tjim and Florin, for your suggestions.

As I got the phone from ebay, I don't know its talk plan history/registration so I can't ask for help from Cingular. It was supposed to be new, never opened, unlocked (as advertised), but turned out the other way round.

I'd rather have it unlocked here than send the phone to Canada, as apart from the unlock fee of US$100 there is a hefty return S&H fee (from Canada to US is US$20 so I imagine at least double that much to Thailand) --- I might as well buy a new phone with that sum. Lol!

There are also some people in the US who will send you the unlock code and instructions if you pay them somewhere between $50-100. I think it is too risky and expensive. I also heard of a guy in UK who charged quite a lot for the unlock cable but didn't deliver as promised.

A guy I talked to at an MBK shop said he would order the unlock device which should be available from mid February. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Still if someone has more info on this, I'd be glad to know. Besides, I'm going to Singapore next week so if anyone has their phones unlocked in shops there before, please let me know where and how much.

Thank you very much.

Have you contacted the ebay seller? He might be able to point you in the right direction at least.

blackberry

try here

For a few reasons, that site screams "scam alert" to me. Their slogan is 'Proud to be a US company' - but the English used in their descriptions is makeshift to say the least. There is also something about the page design that is trying to look respectable but comes off as tacky - using blinking CAPS, etc.

It's true the above may have nothing to do with the actual services they provide. They could just be excellent technicians/code breakers with bad taste in web design - but since they also demand you pay online before receiving the codes, I would try to find more info about the company before I paid them 147 dollars to get the unlock codes sent to me by e-mail.

Thank you all very much.

Blake7, I have contacted the ebay seller. I told him the phone is locked, not brand new (some calls attempted and received), not 'never open' (the box looked very old with the sticker sealing it not that sticky), ie, totally different from description. I could file the complaint, but the refund I would get from PayPal will not cover the cost I paid for the phone. I'm trying to make the seller find the unlock code and instructions for me but so far he has been stalling big time, insisting that the phone was unlocked and blaming the person who provided it to him for telling it was brand new.

I'm not planning to pay $147 even if it is going to work. I'll wait and see if the seller will eventually get the code or until February in case that MBK shop can unlock it. In the mean time, if anybody knows anything about unlocking the phone here, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I have successfully unlocked my Blackberry.

After checking a couple of MBK shops several times, I didn't think they would order any unlocking device or software soon, so I resorted to remote unlocking service on eBay. A couple of sellers offer prices ranging from US$25 to 70. I chose the one at $45 because he accepts PayPal and communicates clearly and let me try his steps before ordering to make sure they were applicable to my phone. Within 12 hrs of payment, I got the unlock code and have since used the phone with True Move aka Orange SIM.

Florin, he can unlock Treo as well.

Which model did you have?

Also, what carrier are you using in Thailand, and do you get any of the push email functionality? It sounds like the carrier must be involved for everything to work properly, since communication goes from ISP->blackberry.net->carrier->phone. Maybe just the IMEI/PIN number is sufficient, but I would be surprised.

Thanks.

Which model did you have?

Also, what carrier are you using in Thailand, and do you get any of the push email functionality? It sounds like the carrier must be involved for everything to work properly, since communication goes from ISP->blackberry.net->carrier->phone. Maybe just the IMEI/PIN number is sufficient, but I would be surprised.

Thanks.

The model is 7290. The service provider is True Move/Orange. Yes, the emails are pushed. The service cost is 850 baht/month for an individual user plus the cost of your preferred talk plan. So far so good, but with True I guess I'll have to make sure it's not difficult for callers to reach me signalwise before I cancel my AIS phone.

• 7 months later...