Question To The Moderators

sirineou

The way I see it there are two types of threads started in this Forum,

one is the Thread containing a question the OP needs answered,and aside for a few honest replies who try to answer the question, it deteriorates in to an argument about the price of tea in China,

and the other is the Thread posting a real or imaginary question and or observation posted for entertainment value only, that usually goes all over the place.

That is why i laugh when ever some one asks a question, and there is always the inevitable reply "Use the search function" yea if i wanted to read hundreds of Threads, with thousand of unrelated replies trying to find the odd reply that answers the question.

We all know this, nothing new there

Today as I was reading some of the posts in the General Topics section , annoyed at some of the replies , the thought occurred to me,

The Moderators have to read every one of these!!!

So the question to the moderators is, How can you stand it? How do you keep your sanity?

End of rant .....

Ant way , to the Moderators I want to say. Thank you guys, and gals for doing such a thankless job and putting up with us.clap2.gif

I hate it when someone replies with "Use the search function". It's a forum, not a search engine.

Also, though someone may have seen the question asked many times, a new user has as much right to a fresh answer as the person who asked five years ago.

HaHa ... you must have 'hated' some of my posts then ... sad.png

But sometimes it is appropriate, I think because sometimes people are lazy.

My example was a guy asked about 5 best things to do in Bangkok and asked in the General Forum section.

The 'almost' same question was asked only the previous month in the Bangkok Forum with some excellent relies.

The same poster asked about the cost of building a house in Issan ... again in the General Forum.

Call me an Umpire but it is frustrating as we really want to help because the Sub Forums are the strength of TVF.

And yes ... I did strongly suggest to the OP that he ask for it to get moved to the appropriate thread ... but maybe he liked the attention he received in the General Forum. Lot's more replies ... but none too helpful.

Once the thread gets a few replies, obviously the Mods have read it, certainly when it's a day old and have elected to leave it in place ... so no reason to report.

What I do support is a 'twist' on a common theme that has not been discussed before.

Now .. where do I find some information about the correct tyre pressure for my truck?

Maybe I'll ask ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

I hate it when someone replies with "Use the search function". It's a forum, not a search engine.

Also, though someone may have seen the question asked many times, a new user has as much right to a fresh answer as the person who asked five years ago.

My example was a guy asked about 5 best things to do in Bangkok and asked in the General Forum section.

The 'almost' same question was asked only the previous month in the Bangkok Forum with some excellent relies.

The same poster asked about the cost of building a house in Issan ... again in the General Forum.

Call me an Umpire but it is frustrating as we really want to help because the Sub Forums are the strength of TVF.

And yes ... I did strongly suggest to the OP that he ask for it to get moved to the appropriate thread ... but maybe he liked the attention he received in the General Forum. Lot's more replies ... but none too helpful.

Once the thread gets a few replies, obviously the Mods have read it, certainly when it's a day old and have elected to leave it in place ... so no reason to report.

What I do support is a 'twist' on a common theme that has not been discussed before.

Now .. where do I find some information about the correct tyre pressure for my truck?

David48, The tyre pressure readings are usually found....

• Like 1

The way I see it there are two types of threads started in this Forum,

one is the Thread containing a question the OP needs answered,and aside for a few honest replies who try to answer the question, it deteriorates in to an argument about the price of tea in China,

and the other is the Thread posting a real or imaginary question and or observation posted for entertainment value only, that usually goes all over the place.

That is why i laugh when ever some one asks a question, and there is always the inevitable reply "Use the search function" yea if i wanted to read hundreds of Threads, with thousand of unrelated replies trying to find the odd reply that answers the question.

We all know this, nothing new there

Today as I was reading some of the posts in the General Topics section , annoyed at some of the replies , the thought occurred to me,

The Moderators have to read every one of these!!!

So the question to the moderators is, How can you stand it? How do you keep your sanity?

End of rant .....

Ant way , to the Moderators I want to say. Thank you guys, and gals for doing such a thankless job and putting up with us.clap2.gif

Please read the forum rules. Posts discussing moderation will not be allowed and posters issued with suspensions

(unless they are blatant attempts to curry favour from moderators)

+1 run out of likes...thumbsup.gif

edit......only 10:30 in the morning.....seams to be the going thing....sad.png

Edited by kevjohn

The conversations on the price of tea in China are often just as valuable and entertaining as the answers to the OP.

Someone asking "I met a lovely girl online/in a bar etc and I want to sell my house and move to Nakhon Nowhere" really should get the "read old threads" reply IMO.

Please read the forum rules. Posts discussing moderation will not be allowed and posters issued with suspensions

So is trolling but doesn't seem to stop you. whistling.gif We also frown upon self appointed moderators - the report function works just fine.

His comment is not on a moderator specific action nor on policies and issues per se but will keep watch if it does go that direction.

• Like 1

So is trolling but doesn't seem to stop you. whistling.gif We also frown upon self appointed moderators - the report function works just fine.

His comment is not on a moderator specific action nor on policies and issues per se but will keep watch if it does go that direction.

wai.gif thank you

there is also the point that the search function is barely functional

+1 run out of likes...thumbsup.gif

edit......only 10:30 in the morning.....seams to be the going thing....sad.png

fanboy

I like the "Going to Thailand for the first time; do they have tea/coffee/sugar/milk/rice/biscuits/eggs/beef/chicken./pork/toilet paper/coca cola etc" types of questions.

I am always tempted to reply: no we don't have those so you better bring lots with you.tongue.png

Edited by doggie888888

I like the "Going to Thailand for the first time; do they have tea/coffee/sugar/milk/rice/biscuits/eggs/beef/chicken./pork/toilet paper/coca cola etc" types of questions.

I am always tempted to reply: no we don't have those so you better bring lots with you.tongue.png

Hahaha or this one "Do they have toilet paper in Thailand, because I hear people over there only use Bum Guns"

Using the search function for a particular subject, only brings up posts that contain the search words any where in the post ,in any order, in my experience.

Functionally useless for the purpose of finding the answer to a particular question, unless you are willing to wade though countless posts, with no guaranty that the question you ask will be answered.

Further more even if you found an answer, it might be a dated answer, with out the input of members with recent experiences in the subject.

Regardless of whether the search function is desirable or not, what thought process brings one to the conclusion that it is their responsibility, to set every one straight?

If you think the question is inane, simply ignore it, If you think you have something to contribute, try to answer the question as best as you can, and possible, politely, point out that there was a recent thread that addressed the question, and here is a link to it.

Or if you dont want to be helpful, simply shut up.

No need for amateur moderating,

IMHO We have very good moderators, that do a good job moderating, and if they thought that it was necessary to ask some one to use the search function rather than starting a post, I am sure they would do so.

I was 18 when I started modding two years ago. I'm now 63.

You're lucky ya never bumped into me before! laugh.png

You're even luckier you never bumped into me when I was a Mod vampire.giflaugh.png

clap2.gif Nah mate...I bet you were a pussycat! laugh.png

I was firm but fair - until I got the first death threat tongue.png

I have a few time done "Use the search function" but found unless you remember the thread title it is not easy you get loads of threads but not the one your looking for... The other problem is people will start a thread in say C.M to do say with cars, so one does a search in motoring and find nothing because it is C.M and not under motoring...

On the other hand sometimes you can find it on TV by using Google, it could take some time as there are normally many 1,000s of pages to search.. guess is a lot easier for younger folk as they can remember, me looked at something yesterday, forgot to bookmark, 2 hours searching today still cannot find it !! joys of getting old smile.png

I have a few time done "Use the search function" but found unless you remember the thread title it is not easy you get loads of threads but not the one your looking for... The other problem is people will start a thread in say C.M to do say with cars, so one does a search in motoring and find nothing because it is C.M and not under motoring...

On the other hand sometimes you can find it on TV by using Google, it could take some time as there are normally many 1,000s of pages to search.. guess is a lot easier for younger folk as they can remember, me looked at something yesterday, forgot to bookmark, 2 hours searching today still cannot find it !! joys of getting old smile.png

Yep...know the feeling....welcome to the club...wink.png

I was firm but fair - until I got the first death threat tongue.png

I don't do death threats mate....I will turn up at the party....buy you a beer and charm with my wit and effervescence.....then you would go home feelin' all guilty inside...biggrin.png