Retirement Visa And Moving From Town To Town

If I get a 1 year retirement visa based on 800K in the bank in town A, are there any problems with moving to town B and signing on there every 90 days?

What documentation is involved in moving town regarding a Retirement visa?

• Like 1

You wouldn't be getting a "retirement visa", you would be extendng your permisssion to stay with the 800K. The 90 day reports are address reports for people staying in Thailand longer than 90 days, and has nothing to do with that. Just show proof you are living within that immigration office's jurisdiction.

Edited by beechguy

Your initial (first) visa is indeed called a retirement visa for 1 year and stamped as such in your passport.

Every subsequent visa for retirement purposes is called an extension for retirement purposes for 1 year (no paid work allowed).

For your initial (first) visa and the yearly extensions you are required to have 800k baht in your Thai bank - or - be able to proof that you have a retirement income of at least 65k baht per month.

You - can - relocate within Thailand without affecting your retirement visa. However you are required to report every 90 days to the Immigration Office of your jurisdiction your current address. This report can be in person or by registered mail. The "90 day report" is totally seperate from your visa.

Edited by Parvis

There is a change of address form TM28 which you need to complete and submit to the new immigration office and some immigration offices require copies of various documents accompanying the form. This form is available on line. it is seperate from your 90 day reporting which has a seperate form and u do the 90 day reporting at the appropriate date to the new office.

In the last few years i have moved twice within Thailand and it has been necessary for me to go to my new local immigration office and submit form TM28 etc.

When the time comes for your annual extension of permission to stay (retirement) you simply go along to the new immigration office and apply in the normal way there.

Edited by R123

My experience dates from 2 yrs. ago, so some of this may have been superceded. (see the reply from R123).

I was living in Bangkok at the time I applied for my first Retirement visa. I was contemplating a move to Pattaya at that time, and specifically asked if i was allowed to move while my application was being processed. They said "no problem, you can finish the application in Pattaya". So, I moved to Pattaya, only to be told there that I had to complete the process in Bkk. So, I travelled back and forth to complete the application process.

Now, as R123 says, they seem to be more particular about having you confirm your address at various stages, so there maybe a problem if they somehow find you are living in two places, while your application is being processed.

I don't see any problem in moving AFTER you have obtained the visa, just go in to your new Immigration office and complete the 90 Day Notification of Residence form.

Your initial (first) visa is indeed called a retirement visa for 1 year and stamped as such in your passport.

Every subsequent visa for retirement purposes is called an extension for retirement purposes for 1 year (no paid work allowed).

For your initial (first) visa and the yearly extensions you are required to have 800k baht in your Thai bank - or - be able to proof that you have a retirement income of at least 65k baht per month.

You - can - relocate within Thailand without affecting your retirement visa. However you are required to report every 90 days to the Immigration Office of your jurisdiction your current address. This report can be in person or by registered mail. The "90 day report" is totally seperate from your visa.

The visa issued for retirement is called long stay and is actually a non immigrant O-A visa. But many, if not most, never have such a visa but obtain a non immigrant entry for Thailand and then extend the permitted to stay for one year at a time for retirement (and that is not a visa). And work is not allowed paid or otherwise.

For extension you must have 800k in bank 2 (3 after first time) months or 65k in Embassy letter or a combination to meet 800k per year. There is no requirement for any funds in Thailand for a long stay (retirement) visa.

Any change of address will require the next application be made at the office serving that new location.