15 Month Overstay

Can your friend obtain 20,000 baht and an air ticket out of Thailand? That would be the best choice and likely if no legal charges pending will be allowed to leave (although there is a chance of a delay to check police files so best to have open flight arrangement). But recent reports have been immediate processing.

• Like 2

I'm always amazed at how, with the volumn of people and their various problems, the immigration employees at Nong Khai have, they can be so welcoming. I've found that every one of them I've had to see for one reason or another are always very professional and nice. Certainly a nice bunch.

As has been pointed out, the OP's friend isn't going to be hassled leaving Thailand, either via air or a friendly land border crossing if he has the 20,000 baht overstay fine and he can come back in. Also pointed out, was the risk of remaining on overstay -- if arrested or even passing thru a checkpoint you can risk immediate jail and deportation.

Another way that people get "caught" on overstay is if they end up with a medical emergency and go to a hospital to seek treatment. The hospital will notify Immigration of overstay status, especially if they think there's a good chance they won't be able to collect the bill due. IDC isn't a very pleasant place, especially when you've just been "stablized" and discharged by a public hospital.

I was in this situation a few months back but my overstay was 20+ years and yes it ratere scary.

But your passport was still ok?

Many countries allow their citizens to renew their passports through the embassy. You do the paperwork, pick up your passport when it's ready and carry on. No need to inform Immigration that you've received a new passport (unless you need to transfer a long term visa of course). If you are on the 30 day stamp, you should have your old passport with you when you depart so Immigration can see the entry stamps.

I did this in '05 as my old passport was full (but still have 3 years of validity). When I left at the end of my 30 day holiday, showed both passports to the Immigration officer. He stamped me out (in the new passport) and that was it.

I'm always amazed at how, with the volumn of people and their various problems, the immigration employees at Nong Khai have, they can be so welcoming. I've found that every one of them I've had to see for one reason or another are always very professional and nice. Certainly a nice bunch.

I guess they could teach Phuket Immigration a few things.

I had an overstay for 1 year.. went to chong chom border crossing and paid the 20k fine and returned back into Thailand 10 mins later.. Actually made friends with the police captain that took my fine and he said if your friends have any problems with overstay tell them to call me..

I had an overstay for 1 year.. went to chong chom border crossing and paid the 20k fine and returned back into Thailand 10 mins later.. Actually made friends with the police captain that took my fine and he said if your friends have any problems with overstay tell them to call me..

Hmmmmmm, we know where your 20K went. sad.png
  • Like 1

Hmmmmmm, we know where your 20K went. sad.png

Even gave him 1k extra to smooth over any problems just incase.. beleive me though it was 21k well spent with the hassle it could have caused me..

• Like 2

Hi,

I was in this situation a few months back but my overstay was 20+ years and yes it ratere scary. I left VIA the Nong Khai Border checkpoint and paid my 20,000 Baht. Immigration where surprised to see 20 years overstay and ask why I stayed so long I explained that i have my wife and children here and did not have money to deposit to get the 1 year visa. They said yes that is rather difficult for a lot of people and not very fair. Put a little stamp in my passport said have a good trip and said see you on the way back for your next 20yrs !!!!!!!!!!. They were very pleasant about it absolutely no hassles at all.

Just don't get caught by police on the way to the border and he will be fine.

Pinball

Raise a Thai family here,

If your a foreign man raising family show us your money or good-bye.

If your a Thai man ( with foreign wife) show us your signature or eh ...it don't matter..

Maybe one day Thai women will get equal rights.

Edited by mike123ca
  • Like 2

Hi,

I was in this situation a few months back but my overstay was 20+ years and yes it ratere scary. I left VIA the Nong Khai Border checkpoint and paid my 20,000 Baht. Immigration where surprised to see 20 years overstay and ask why I stayed so long I explained that i have my wife and children here and did not have money to deposit to get the 1 year visa. They said yes that is rather difficult for a lot of people and not very fair. Put a little stamp in my passport said have a good trip and said see you on the way back for your next 20yrs !!!!!!!!!!. They were very pleasant about it absolutely no hassles at all.

Pinball

If your a Thai man ( with foreign wife) show us your signature or eh ...it don't matter..

It isn't Thai women who don't have equal rights, the difference in rights/requirements is between foreign men and women.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hi,

Pinball

It isn't Thai women who don't have equal rights, the difference in rights/requirements is between foreign men and women.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I don't disagree with your conclusion because they are different requirements between foreign men and women.

But, I'll state why I believe Thai women don't have equal rights.

Unlike other visa's which are usually based on employment or investment.

The marriage visa can only be obtained by marrying a Thai national.

Once your marriage certificate is signed and sealed. Then your Thai partner

must will use their signature for their spouse to aquire new rights under Thai law.

Yes, foreign men have more financial requirements than foreign women hence the inequality.

If the requirements were exactly the same for both foreign men and women then both sexes would have the same rights.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible after u pay the 20thousand baht fine overstay then still can stay thailand 7 days? what i mean did immgration still can give a stamp for 7 days coz someone hiring me in his company and wants me also to get me a working permit. i need some advice.

That will be up to the local immigration office and might depend on the lenght of overstay. With a few days it is no problem, but with a long overstay they might not and tell you to just leave.

In addition it will be up to the local labour office to accept your application or not in your situation. They will certainly look at your passport.

Paying the fine and leaving the country and coming back might be the easier.