New Passport, Existing Visa

I'm heading back to the UK for a few weeks and while there will need to get a new passport as I'm rapidly running out of pages. However, I have a 12month NIB in my current passport (and work permit) that is valid until March 2013. Do I have to somehow have the visa transferred to the new passport (is that possible?) or can I just keep my current (soon to be invalid) passport with its valid visa in it and use my new passport for stamps etc?

Yes, you can. But be sure to have both passports with you and make sure that the permisison to stay page is not damaged itself.

They will stamp you in the new passprot, but you will have to go to an immigration office to transfer all details to the new passport.

Thanks Mario. That's good to know. I might renew the passport in UK, (which I think only takes a few days, or in Hong Kong. Not quite sure how long for the latter location, but I presume it's not as long as sending it from Bangkok.

Just did the same thing £138.50 for new 48 page passport

Interesting to compare costs. I just renewed my passport in the US, by post, with the following charges:

$110.00 basic fee (no extra fee to receive the 52 page (42 visa page) model)

$60.00 expedite fee

$12.72 priority mail return envelope

Or, about 119 GBPs for this package (72 without the extras). Sent in on a Monday, received 11 days later. (However, the old passport is not returned with your new one -- it took another 4 days to receive it.)

I guess I would have saved some money had I waited to renew after I returned to Chiang Mai -- only the basic $110 fee. And, they advertise a two-week turnaround -- pretty much what I got in the States for both old and new passports to be turned around -- but for an additional $73. Oh well.

Should point out the above post you were not in Thailand? If in Thailand you must have passport and not send it anywhere so not an option for most. As said there is no postage or fee if do directly at US Consulates and passport remains in your possession.