Tracing A Vehicle After A Rear Ending

davehowden

I was rear ended last Saturday, I have the Thai licence plate number and want to trace the owner.

Will the police follow this up, do they have records if the owner has moved since the vehicle was purchased and the book updated with his address?

Best of luck with that one. Most folks don't bother updating ownership to save paying the transfer tax.

So you presume that the driver was not the original owner? It costs nothing to change your address. Was the vehicle registered? Maybe you didn't get that close before he "fled the scene"

onthedarkside

Doesn't the annual Road Tax have details of the owners current address come to think of it?

Unless they have changed their address with the Dep of Lands and Transport it will have the same address as last registered on the new registration. Did you notice if the vehicle had current registration?

You should make a report with the police either way. Then, you may have better luck trying your insurance company. they may be more willing to track it down than the police.

Edited by CMSteve

Why have you waited one week before acting? Did you contact your insurer immediately?

Have you filed a Police report?

Contact Land Transport office by phone or attend in person - Registration plates are for legitimate ID purposes and in most countries you would be given the other parties address with this type of incident. Of course TiT, so it may depend on how nice you speak to the various officials, and how many THB you pass across the counter ...

Best of luck with that one. Most folks don't bother updating ownership to save paying the transfer tax.

So you presume that the driver was not the original owner? It costs nothing to change your address. Was the vehicle registered? Maybe you didn't get that close before he "fled the scene"

How many owners notify a change of address ? Not many. And I was thinking about a new owner not registering the transfer papers to save the transfer tax. When applying for the annual road tax only the book is needed, No attention is paid to the owner details. Just the tax renewal date.

Maejo Man

By current registration do you mean the window sticker with the year on it, sorry to be dim. I am not sure but it looked like 2555 in the second I had to look after getting out of my car and before he took off.

Yes that's the one. I will PM you on what you should do now,