PM Yingluck Asks Surapong To Mend Ties With Nay Pyi Taw

webfact

PM asks Surapong to mend ties with Nay Pyi Taw

The Nation, Agencies

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra conceded yesterday she was concerned about the state of Thai-Myanmar ties in the face of President Thein Sein's decision to push back his state visit due to "unfavourable conditions".

"I am worried about the misunderstanding and have instructed Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul to issue an explanation to the Myanmar government," she said.

Thein Sein was reportedly displeased with how Thailand handled last week's visit by opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Within one week he twice postponed his trip. He was initially scheduled to attend the World Economic Forum on East Asia but cancelled at the last minute as it coincided with the first trip abroad in 24 years by Suu Kyi.

The trip was rescheduled as a state visit from today to tomorrow but was again postponed, pending negotiations for a time convenient to both countries.

Government House officials said the Myanmar government wanted to rearrange the state visit after voicing displeasure at Suu Kyi's trips inside Thailand. She made two journeys - one to meet Burmese workers in Samut Sakhon and another to see refugees and displaced citizens at Mae La camp in Tak province.

Officials said the government was not involved in either of the trips, nor her participation at the WEF. Suu Kyi attended the economic forum at the invitation of organisers, not the Thai government. She then contacted non-government groups and others to organise meetings with migrant workers and displaced citizens.

The Myanmar government made it known that a most contentious issue was the meeting between Suu Kyi and Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

"By meeting Chalerm, Suu Kyi has managed to outshine the Myanmar government in regard to handling the labour and refugee affairs," an official said on the condition of anonymity.

Unlike Yingluck who met Suu Kyi in the context of the WEF, Chalerm welcomed the democracy icon at Government House.

On returning to Myanmar, Suu Kyi said her visit to Thailand was "very satisfactory".

The democracy champion had previously refused to leave the country, even to visit her dying husband, because of fears the former junta would never allow her to return.

Her six-day visit to Thailand was the first time she had ventured abroad since she was thrust into the spotlight during protests against the generals in 1988.

The Nobel laureate charmed global business leaders in Bangkok and drew large crowds on visits to Myanmar communities in Thailand during a packed schedule in the Kingdom.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-04

"By meeting Chalerm, Suu Kyi has managed to outshine the Myanmar government in regard to handling the labour and refugee affairs," an official said on the condition of anonymity.

Seems Charlem has stepped in it again, doesnt this guy get sick of tripping over his tounge? Not only did Suu kyi outshine the Myanmar Government but she made the Thai Government look like village idiots.

Edited by metisdead
Nonsense video removed.

Nonsense posts have been removed.

Troll posts have been removed.

A post making a nickname of the the PM's name has been removed. Use the proper name of the politicians when posting.

A nonsense video has been removed from another post.

Seems Charlem has stepped in it again, doesnt this guy get sick of tripping over his tounge? Not only did Suu kyi outshine the Myanmar Government but she made the Thai Government look like village idiots.

Chalerm has been making the Thai government look like idiots from the first day he took office.

• Like 1

This is a very bad comparison, Deputy PM Chalerm to a village idiot. Even village idiots know when to be quiet. smile.png

Oi Surapong! Get over there and start kissing butt, and don't hold back on the tongue, before they throw a hissy fit and cancel Thaksin's oil deal I set up for him. thumbsup.gif

Sent from my Cray XT5-HE laptop computer

• Like 1

Chalerm has been making the Thai government look like idiots from the first day he took office.

It does appear so.

100% Agreed.

100% Agreed.

They are a bunch of stars.

Yingluck

Suchart

Pracha

Plodprasop

Yongyut

You couldn't make it up.

Who have I missed?

Sent from my dog.

• Like 1

Oi Surapong! Get over there and start kissing butt, and don't hold back on the tongue, before they throw a hissy fit and cancel Thaksin's oil deal I set up for him. thumbsup.gif

Exactly. This is all about money. for Big T and family..

So the old Burmese Junta boss was not happy about the way Aung Sang Suu Kyi was treated. What did he expect? This is one of the world's great political icons making her first visit out of the country for twenty odd years and naturally the whole world wanted to know about her every move.

And what did they expect her do in Thailand, home to 2 million plus persecuted Burmese refugess.... go visiting temples and spas?

But how unfair the ungrateful Than Shwe was on Yingluck, given that her brother was one of the few who was prepared to do dirty business with him and his disgusting cronies and at considerable cost to Thailand.

Edited by bigbamboo

100% Agreed.

They are a bunch of stars.

Yingluck

Suchart

Pracha

Plodprasop

Yongyut

You couldn't make it up.

Who have I missed?

Sent from my dog.

Thaksin.laugh.png

Just a reminder that posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be deleted. If you don’t want your post to be deleted, spell people’s names correctly.

How exactly do we do this? The spellings of people's names in TV vary from article to article!

You are right, it does reflect well on the Thai government that they disregarded Then Sein and I as inadvertently posted Than Shwe's opinion. ASSK is only welcome in the Burmese 'government' to give it some international respectability.

Can't help feeling that Yingluck is ducking her responsibility somewhat by sending Surapong to do her dirty work for her though. She usually can't wait to jump on a plane to go on an official visit.

Edited by sbk
deleted quoted post removed

I have re-read the article and see nothing that "reflects rather well" on the government- please enlighten me as to which section you refer.

Chalerm meeting ASSK in govt. house was a diplomatic gaffe, but I'm sure they'll get over it with a little Surapong suck up - perhaps he could deliver a passport or two while he's there.

Edited by sbk

They are merely pointing out how much greater Aung San Suu Kyi than any of the current crop of Thai politicians. I posted along your lines that she is a hard act for the current Myanmar govt officials to follow, but it apparently got deleted.

Edited by sbk

I have re-read the article and see nothing that "reflects rather well" on the government- please enlighten me as to which section you refer.

Chalerm meeting ASSK in govt. house was a diplomatic gaffe, but I'm sure they'll get over it with a little Surapong suck up - perhaps he could deliver a passport or two while he's there.

Chalerm's meeting with ASSK at Government Houser was perfectly in order.There is no sensitivity as there might be in the case of the Dalai Lama.Thein Sein will be given every courtesy when he eventually visits Bangkok, including I gather being honoured with an audience ASSK was not (quite rightly) provided with.

I expect you feel that ASSK's imminent address to the Joint Houses of Parliament in the UK is a stunning gaffe by David Cameron.

Edited by sbk
flame removed- keep it up and you will be suspended

Funny that the Burmese don't see it that way. There is nothing stunning about it, just a failure to realise a neighbour's sensitvity, even if they are being a little precious.

Not being English, or in England, I care as little about Cameron's actions as he cares about the Burmese reaction.

Still waiting for the "reflect well" - silly of me I suppose.

Edited by sbk

Chalerm's meeting with ASSK at Government Houser was perfectly in order.There is no sensitivity as there might be in the case of the Dalai Lama.Thein Sein will be given every courtesy when he eventually visits Bangkok, including I gather being honoured with an audience ASSK was not (quite rightly) provided with.

I expect you feel that ASSK's imminent address to the Joint Houses of Parliament in the UK is a stunning gaffe by David Cameron.

And pigs make Bacon

Sent from my dog.

who would send a gorilla to meet a princess.....

Be particularly careful if the gorilla tries to kiss the princess. (note my icon).

The Burmese political boss (whatever his name is), should get his head patted, while the patter says; "oh you poor offended man." More importantly, he should take a lesson on how to be a decent leader, from 'The Lady." Actually, he's an ok guy, from what I've observed, but he's still a product of the junta. He just got offended, that's all. Send him some fake flowers and a bottle of fish sauce, maybe he'll cheer up.

Just a reminder that posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be deleted. If you don’t want your post to be deleted, spell people’s names correctly.

How exactly do we do this? The spellings of people's names in TV vary from article to article!

That's not the problem, the problem is with people deliberately changing the spelling of people's names in order to turn the person's name into a derogatory meaning.

Becareful. Burma will soon overtake Thailand.

My estimates, within 3 years.

Interesting you mention that. Similar thoughts are on my mind whenever I visit Burma, which is about 3 to 4 times per month from northern Thailand (several hundred times in a decade, and no, I'm not a drug runner). Every time I go, I realize how better adjusted the Burmese people are, in general, compared to Thais. Whereas Thais are generally so busy going to the mall and worrying about which whitening cream to buy, the Burmese are generally more joyful, less vain, and interact comfortably with others from all walks of life. The Burmese seem to embody the French attitude of 'vive la difference', whereas comparatively, the Thais seem to wear self restricting moral yokes on their shoulders. Burmese are more like gypsies, whereas Thais are more like Mexican catholics, in my view.