Vientiane Visa Run Trip Report

Took the 7:15am Air Asia flight from Bangkok to Udon Thani, landed at 8:10am and made our way to the Limo counter and purchased tickets to the Friendship Bridge. Left airport at 8:30 am, and arrived at the bridge by 9:20am. Through the Thai side in about 5 minutes. Purchased tickets for the bus to cross the bridge, we just missed the bus so waited about 10 minutes for the next one. Arrived at the Laos side, at about 9:45 am, got immigration paperwork (arrival/dep cards and visa application. They have little desk chairs available for you to sit and fill out the paperwork. Nobody waiting, turned in my paperwork, passport and paid the visa fee. The Lao immigration guy told me to wait at window 3 for my passport with visa, which was done in about 5 minutes. While waiting a taxi tout offered me his services; I was in bit of a hurry to get to the Thai Consulate before noon, and he offered me to take me there via minibus, wait until I got done and then take me to my hotel, I agreed and soon we were off.

Arrived at the Consulate by 10:30 am, only a few people at the tables in front of the windows on the inside. I first grabbed a number, and before I could get my pictures glued to my application they had already passed my number, which was 107. No worries though, went upstairs to make a photocopy of the Lao Visa, the Lao entry stamp, and a photocopy of my passport picture page. Got another number (111), and was called up immediately. I had requested a 2x Tourist Visa. I had several visa exemption stamps in my passport, 7 stamps since Nov. 2011(new passport). And the last two were back to backs. The Thai gentleman did not ask me any questions, only asked me sign the bottom of the copy of my passport photo page. I had evidence of bank acct and a airline ticket, but were not asked for. Told to take my number to the adjacent building and pay the fee. Waited there approx. 15 minutes for my number to be called paid my fee, told to come back tomorrow after 1300 to collect my passport.

*** My Thai GF waited outside at the chairs/tables at the first windows, and spoke to a Thai gentleman who helped people fill out there apps and answered questions.... he stated to her that here they will only allow 4 or 5 consecutive Tourist Visas, she questioned him whether it was 4 OR 5 and he said probably just 4.

Met the mini bus driver outside of the consulate and he took us to our hotel. Arrived at our hotel before noon. We agreed to have him pick us up at 1230 the following day at the hotel and take us to the Consulate, wait for me to get my passport, then take us back to the border.

Like clockwork, the driver showed up at 1230, arrived at the Consulate within 5 minutes or so. There were already about 2 dozen people waiting. At 1300, the gates open and we went in and were handed numbers (#27) and filled orderly in the building on the left and waited for our numbers to be called. Took me about 20 minutes to get my passport.

Made our way to the border, not busy again, stamped out of Laos, crossed bridge, maybe 5 minute wait on the Thai side.

Since I was unsure if I was going to be able to get to the Thai Consualte before noon on my first day, we only bought one way tickets on Air Asia, and decided to take the overnight train from Nong Khai to BKK. So, upon exit the Immigration area we needed to get some transportation to train station. First guy approached said 30 baht each for taxi/car, said no thanks, several tuk tuks said same thing, so we kept walking (about 30 feet) before someone agreed to take us for 30 baht total.

Cost Breakdown:

Air Asia flight (one way, promo fare) 700 thb each

Minibus from Udon Thani to Bridge 200 thb each

bus to cross bridge 20 thb each

Laos visa fee $35 (approx 1050thb)

Tourist Visa 2x 2000 thb

Avalon Hotel (recommend) 780 thb

Minibus driver 800 thb

**(border to consulate to hotel; hotel to consulate to border) orginally asked for 500 each day, i imagine i could have got it for 300, but was in a hurry and he was a really nice guy smile.png

Tuk Tuk from bridge to train station 30 thb

Train NongKhai to BKK 720 thb each

**Second Class a/c sleeper

Total was 6300thb if one person. Bringing my GF along added approx. 1700thb

Hotel was booked thru agoda.com; free fast wifi, free bfast in morning, cold a/c, not a big room but clean, and nice large bathroom. Similar to an All Seasons or Ibis hotel.

The train was comfortable for sleeping and clean. It was fun to experience a long train ride, as I had never done that before. Had a restaurant car with decently priced Thai food an beer. Could also order food to be delivered to your seat.

• Like 2

I was there at the embassy on Tuesday June 5 and it was quite crowded, with Monday being a holiday.

Two new things 1. now when you go back to pick up your passport, you have to get in line before and get a new number to pick up your passport. You do this where you got your number the first day where you hand in the paperwork.

2. Previously they gave you an actual receipt that you used the following day to receive your passport.

Now they just stamp on your number from the first day, the amount paid, now you get the actual receipt when picking up the passport.

So if you got number 39 the first day and have to keep this as a receipt, now you have to line up again and get number ie: 101. So now there is more waiting and queing a second time. Do not be fooled thinking that the number you got the first day, is your que number for picking up your passport.

An hour and a half Tuesday submitting passport and visa application, with number 39 An hour Wednesday picking up passport with a number of 101.

A year ago tuks and businesses on the Thai side would accept KIp, even for the bus ride from Nong Khai to wherever, yesterday they looked at me like they had never seen Kip before. No one would accept it. I am sure that some still do, but not all, like before. 1 Bhat=25Kip. They continue to accept Bhat in Laos, of course......Safe travelling

I do this every 2 or three months, just for the heck of it.