TrueVisions' Subscribers Outraged As TV Screens Goes Blank During EURO 2012

webfact

That Thaiexpat TV works really well but 7,999 for the set top box??!! No way !

Far too expensive when you've also got to pay a subscription of 600 a month.

Better to just hook up a laptop to the TV and use a bluetooth mouse to change channels.

Yes, that's massively overpriced. Why don't you use the TV Catchup website?

Not sure whether links are allowed, so I won't.

Just tried the TV Catchup website, but not working through VPN.

Please PM for details.

Thanks

I have the same problem.

I signed up using a UK VPN service but when I try to watch I get a message "None UK"

Anyone know how to fix this please?

Most likely they are blocking VPN providers from the UK as they know that ppl from abroad are trying to use their service.

So if you need a stable solution you better go for thaiexpat.tv or others with dedicated streaming servers in Thailand.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is my fifth post on this thread, so i'm signing off / bored with it now - general advice : why not read right through every post on a thread from the start before posting anything ? So, yes, the set-top Box for thaiexpattv is just shy of 8,000 Bt, but you don't need to go that route. As i already explained, AND provided the live link to show - you can just download their software in the form of a Zip file, get that onto your machine, ( pc or laptop running Windows - not Mac ) and watch Brit channels in reasonable quality on that machine for 600 Bt a month, payed via Paypal and cancellable any time. ( So they say.) No box required. I tried the 2-day trial, and the visual & audio quality was far better than the rubbish i get from 'Big Cable' locally. But as i said before - whether it's worth having any live-streamed service for a tv schedule that goes out 6 or 7 hours adrift meaning it's through the night here - up to you ! Most content on Brit tv can be downloaded soon after broadcast from 'thebox' Free - but you do need to be invited - world membership pegged at about 100,000 maximum. In reply to anyone who might imagine i'm connected with thaiexpattv in some way - 100% wrong.

I think this is my fifth post on this thread, so i'm signing off / bored with it now - general advice : why not read right through every post on a thread from the start before posting anything ? So, yes, the set-top Box for thaiexpattv is just shy of 8,000 Bt, but you don't need to go that route. As i already explained, AND provided the live link to show - you can just download their software in the form of a Zip file, get that onto your machine, ( pc or laptop running Windows - not Mac ) and watch Brit channels in reasonable quality on that machine for 600 Bt a month, payed via Paypal and cancellable any time. ( So they say.) No box required. I tried the 2-day trial, and the visual & audio quality was far better than the rubbish i get from 'Big Cable' locally. But as i said before - whether it's worth having any live-streamed service for a tv schedule that goes out 6 or 7 hours adrift meaning it's through the night here - up to you ! Most content on Brit tv can be downloaded soon after broadcast from 'thebox' Free - but you do need to be invited - world membership pegged at about 100,000 maximum. In reply to anyone who might imagine i'm connected with thaiexpattv in some way - 100% wrong.

Sorry to ask, but what is the "box" and how does one get an invite?

Thanks for your previous reply, the link worked got the zip file but my free trial expired before I got a chance to try it out!

To be honest I think for the costs vs content perhaps a spoof VPN iPlayer solution or UK sky account/ slingbox might be a better solution... although back to the issue of international DL speeds from Thailand...

Edited by Ferangled

I think this is my fifth post on this thread, so i'm signing off / bored with it now - general advice : why not read right through every post on a thread from the start before posting anything ? So, yes, the set-top Box for thaiexpattv is just shy of 8,000 Bt, but you don't need to go that route. As i already explained, AND provided the live link to show - you can just download their software in the form of a Zip file, get that onto your machine, ( pc or laptop running Windows - not Mac ) and watch Brit channels in reasonable quality on that machine for 600 Bt a month, payed via Paypal and cancellable any time. ( So they say.) No box required.

Look, we're not idiots, mate. We know there's a software option that enables one to watch on their computer but most would, I'm sure, prefer to watch TV on - wait for it - a television. If there's a way of acheiving that without laying out 8,000 baht, what's the harm in talking about it.

If you're bored, then do what you said you're going to do and sign off.

• Like 1

I think this is my fifth post on this thread, so i'm signing off / bored with it now - general advice : why not read right through every post on a thread from the start before posting anything ? So, yes, the set-top Box for thaiexpattv is just shy of 8,000 Bt, but you don't need to go that route. As i already explained, AND provided the live link to show - you can just download their software in the form of a Zip file, get that onto your machine, ( pc or laptop running Windows - not Mac ) and watch Brit channels in reasonable quality on that machine for 600 Bt a month, payed via Paypal and cancellable any time. ( So they say.) No box required.

Look, we're not idiots, mate. We know there's a software option that enables one to watch on their computer but most would, I'm sure, prefer to watch TV on - wait for it - a television. If there's a way of acheiving that without laying out 8,000 baht, what's the harm in talking about it.

If you're bored, then do what you said you're going to do and sign off.

Haha - good point - i did sign off, but the system kept me on! Yep - understand the point about watching on a TV, but with a big pc or laptop (not a silly little modern i-device) - and above all a good big sound-system plugged into it (i've got dodgy ears/tinnitus) - i find watching online a decent alternative. Didn't mean to suggest anyone was an idiot - apologies if that's how it came across.

Finally someone who understands that the system is NOT expensive if you want to go the route of only having a software player subscription. The set top box is expensive as its brand new custom made technology. (My first DVD player was 400GBP back in 1999). The set top box is a stand alone remote control unit capable of 1080P HD streaming & once the general user base of Thai Expat TV is able to handle the 15-20MB connection needed for HD streaming, we will be offering a full HD package, on top of the forthcoming US channels + on demand content. So although it seems an expensive option now, it really won't be in the long term with the future services.

Also for every channel currently available 'live' there is a +6 and +18 (12/24hr) delay stream to catchup on any missed 'live' shows, so it still offers the user a good range of options right now for viewing UK TV content far superior to anything else available in Thailand right now.

It will likely be available through free internet streaming. Just google something like "live sports/football/soccer streaming". It may not be the best and most reliable way, but I've had pretty good success with streaming live ice hockey games from NA and Europe. The occasional picture freezing will occur, but hopefully not too much.

Sent from a crappy old desktop PC, using no special connection apps.

Edited by Wavefloater

Finally someone who understands that the system is NOT expensive if you want to go the route of only having a software player subscription. The set top box is expensive as its brand new custom made technology. (My first DVD player was 400GBP back in 1999). The set top box is a stand alone remote control unit capable of 1080P HD streaming & once the general user base of Thai Expat TV is able to handle the 15-20MB connection needed for HD streaming, we will be offering a full HD package, on top of the forthcoming US channels + on demand content. So although it seems an expensive option now, it really won't be in the long term with the future services.

Also for every channel currently available 'live' there is a +6 and +18 (12/24hr) delay stream to catchup on any missed 'live' shows, so it still offers the user a good range of options right now for viewing UK TV content far superior to anything else available in Thailand right now.

I for one understand your point re: the hardware but a similar product would be the apple tv which is much cheaper (I understand apple may be a smidgeon larger hence profit margins etc!) but couldn't you use a jail broken Apple TV for your service rather than this dedicated hardware?

Is the content in anyway legal?

And can you guarantee that service will be available for live events, when DL speeds will certainly dip?

Thanks.

I for one understand your point re: the hardware but a similar product would be the apple tv which is much cheaper (I understand apple may be a smidgeon larger hence profit margins etc!) but couldn't you use a jail broken Apple TV for your service rather than this dedicated hardware?

And can you guarantee that service will be available for live events, when DL speeds will certainly dip?

Thanks.

Any of these types of IPTV systems including Apples involve closed source software which is impossible to hack (right now), added to the fact its only linked to a single user account and if subscriptions are not met, then the content is not available to that specific device. Apple as you say is a much larger company (one of the worlds biggest, if not THE biggest). At some point we can offer our boxes at a similar price, but right now 7,999THB is the best we can possibly do. Apples boxes are essentially act as a conduit to sell content at a very expensive rate (120THB per library title or 150THB per new release movie - TV shows around 100THB). We offer a very good service for a resonable cost in comparrison, plus Apple TV is not available in Thailand nor is any other service as high quality for viewing UK TV currently in Thailand.

The content is legal compared to using a VPN or proxy to view the same content via any other internet source in Thailand.

We can guarantee that service will NOT be effected due to high demand during large sporting events or other such broadcasts. Our infrastructure is emmense.

who gives a <deleted> anyway? England will be out, Greece can't afford the bus fare and Spain will be handing out the hat at halftime to avoid Spain's 'soon to be broke' crisis

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

Thanks.

Any of these types of IPTV systems including Apples involve closed source software which is impossible to hack (right now), added to the fact its only linked to a single user account and if subscriptions are not met, then the content is not available to that specific device. Apple as you say is a much larger company (one of the worlds biggest, if not THE biggest). At some point we can offer our boxes at a similar price, but right now 7,999THB is the best we can possibly do. Apples boxes are essentially act as a conduit to sell content at a very expensive rate (120THB per library title or 150THB per new release movie - TV shows around 100THB). We offer a very good service for a resonable cost in comparrison, plus Apple TV is not available in Thailand nor is any other service as high quality for viewing UK TV currently in Thailand.

The content is legal compared to using a VPN or proxy to view the same content via any other internet source in Thailand.

We can guarantee that service will NOT be effected due to high demand during large sporting events or other such broadcasts. Our infrastructure is emmense.

Thanks for the reply and understood regarding Apple TV pricing and content, although I was under the impression that they did actually work in Thailand.

Could you for example use a netbook running your software as an alternative to your hardware? I picked Apple TV as I have seen one working as a general media server as well as giving access to online content, I imagine you could achieve the same using a windows netbook running your software as well as XBMC or similar...

Just to summarise your service, you are bringing in UK content to Thailand via internet line, then distributing via servers in Thailand? Have you actually paid the licensing rights to distribute this content? My only issue with legality is that I wouldn't want to spend 8,000 baht, start subscription only to find that you've been shut down a few months later...

• Like 1

Just to summarise your service, you are bringing in UK content to Thailand via internet line, then distributing via servers in Thailand? Have you actually paid the licensing rights to distribute this content? My only issue with legality is that I wouldn't want to spend 8,000 baht, start subscription only to find that you've been shut down a few months later...

BAM !!

This is the most important question.

At least with the software option, if the service gets canned, you can simply cancel the subscription but if you've done 8 large on the set-top box, won't you just be left with what will be little more than an expensive paperweight?

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 1

BAM !!

At least with the software option, if the service gets canned, you can simply cancel the subscription but if you've done 8 large on the set-top box, won't you just be left with what will be little more than an expensive paperweight?

Understood on your skepticism over how our service will fair over the long term, in terms of being taken down or loss in quality with high demand usage. I can only really say, its not going to be an issue given the way in which we have it all setup. There would have been no point investing a considerable amount of money into something if we were not massively confident in making a long term business model out of. We are not a dodgy VPN or proxy based website that one day we are working, the next day we're gone. If you still have doubts, then just use the software player on a month by month package and invest in the hardware once you are happy with everything.

BAM !!

Understood on your skepticism over how our service will fair over the long term, in terms of being taken down or loss in quality with high demand usage. I can only really say, its not going to be an issue given the way in which we have it all setup. There would have been no point investing a considerable amount of money into something if we were not massively confident in making a long term business model out of. We are not a dodgy VPN or proxy based website that one day we are working, the next day we're gone. If you still have doubts, then just use the software player on a month by month package and invest in the hardware once you are happy with everything.

Thanks for the reply, fair answer, that would seem to be the best approach.

BAM !!

Personally, I'm not skeptical about your business model. I happen to think it's a great idea well worth a 600 baht/pm subscription but the question over thaiexpat.tv's right to redistribute content that is ordinarily inaccesible to those located outside the UK is a valid one especially if one wants to invest in the box.

Is anyone actually using this Thai Expat TV service mentioned earlier in this thread by what appeared to be people trying to promote this service?

Having checked the website out it appears to be a valid IPTV streaming solution with decent UK content and a fairly low monthly subscription but does it actually work/ is it legal?

I'm fed up paying Truevisions through the nose for their "services"; what sort of company hands out HD PVRs with no built in PVR and naff all HD content?! Then makes you shell out extra monthly fees to record once you've purchased your own HDD... that's right, they expect you to pay monthly fees for the privilege of recording content to your own HDD!!!

Extra monthly fees for HD... 3x flipping channels, sports and HBO content already exist in SD and the 3rd channel is some sort of ridiculous parody of TV... are you joking?

It's about time someone offered a suitable alternative to ex pats in Thailand, is Thai Expat TV a potential solution? Only real experiences please.

Been trying all afternoon with their free trail vs a VPN solution i pay for already.

Location, Rawai Phuket.

Here goes :

Tot 6mbit

Thai expat tv : Nothing, black screen tested all channels

Using overplay VPN on itv channel 2 on itv.com website: partly streaming - a lot of buffering.

Truevision docsis 10mbit

Using overplay VPN on itv channel 2 on itv.com website: streaming - almost no buffering

Ais 3G

Using overplay VPN on itv channel 2 on itv.com website: streaming - almost no buffering

Conclusion, at the moment Thai expat tv may be down - in any case it did not work at all for me yet.

And howcome they dont even have SKY as well ?

Neighboor have a Swedish TV solution, where all the Swedish tv channels are in some way streamed to Bangkok servers and then you sign up for their service and you can get that signal from Bangkok even on a 3bb 6mbit line ( what he has currently ) And this works very well. He has 10 or so channels.

Local un named pizza shop have a similar system in place for all the German tv channels and that works very well too.

And there is at least 30 channels.

Thaiexpattv on my laptop right now - perfect. But NOT through a VPN - direct from their server within LOS.

I got it working.

I tried it on 3 machines and only common denominator was Vipre antivirus - firewall.

Once that is off, it runs smoothly.

As good a quality as Truevision ( non HD )

So it just doesnt like Vipre.

Even adding rules and exceptions in the firewall.

Even running the player sandboxed.

Only once Vipre is off, it runs - and then without problems at all.

And I am a happy camper - signed up on a monthly basis.

First up there is the EURO 2012.

Then ITV will show the Tour de France.

Olympics, well Im sure we will get some of that on True anyway.

• Like 1

BAM !!

Personally, I'm not skeptical about your business model. I happen to think it's a great idea well worth a 600 baht/pm subscription but the question over thaiexpat.tv's right to redistribute content that is ordinarily inaccesible to those located outside the UK is a valid one especially if one wants to invest in the box.

I personally have no idea about the legallity of it. As long as it works Im happy.

And with a few slingboxes in the UK, it would be doable easily.

As mentioned in previous post, Ive seen this type of system work for years for the Swedish TV channels here in Thailand and also for the past year or so, seen similar system work for the German TV channels.

It was only a matter of time, before UK TV channels would surface - and now they are here.

British Eurosport would be a welcome addition.

Edited by peterdk

Cannot imagine the legal debate would ever be all that complicated ->

Mr BBC/ITV et al : Did you pay us for the rights to transmit live programming outside of the UK ?

Mr Thaiexpattv : Uh, no.

Mr BBC/ITV et al : Bye Bye thaiexpattv, you are a dead parrot.

Assembled lawyers : oh goody, months & months of lucrative work.

But as above, who cares ? Not with the option to go down the software / no set-top box route, and suck it and see.

BAM !!

Ok dazz here what you are saying....BUT another service the same as yours has just bit the dust, just after they started charging customers a fee...OR are you guys the re-branded face of that other company OR did you force them out by holding onto the servers ? company was UKTV...

A point of view on your service, just to let you know i`ve paid up for the software package (pc)..

1. it would appear your 2 day free trial is not 48 hours but 2 calender days, so you may need to make customers aware of that on the free trial offer, as i lost out when trying it out as i signed up late in the day..

2. You really need to add a record function with timer aka (pvr) into your system as for sure you will lose possible signups because of the time delay, the +6 and + 18 hours seem to me to be a waste of time , better being able to schedule and time your own viewing, like the sky plus package for example..

3. take a look which i`m sure you have at the UKTV software and adopt some of that too, like pause,ff,fr...etc and no loss of footage...

4. It might just be my system, but one very annoying thing with your current set up {pc} is that i cant seem to flick between my desktop and your tv player as every time i move my mouse, say on firefox etc, the screen jumps back to your player...?

5. You really need to revise these things above, and introduce sports channels (eg eurosport etc) ...but not increase your fees for this, as to me you will be seen as greedy and price yourselfs out...

6. You have come along at the right time ( or pushed UKTV out) , because of the EURO football balls up you can get a good foothold into the live streaming market here....SO DONT treat the customers like <deleted> down the line...

GOOD LUCK..

P.S...i know this is an obvious point BUT worth remembering is the current cost of your customers internet package...1+1=2 but the 2 could come close to other deals out there...

Edited by rizla
  • Like 2

BAM !!

Ok dazz here what you are saying....BUT another service the same as yours has just bit the dust, just after they started charging customers a fee...OR are you guys the re-branded face of that other company OR did you force them out by holding onto the servers ? company was UKTV...

A point of view on your service, just to let you know i`ve paid up for the software package (pc)..

1. it would appear your 2 day free trial is not 48 hours but 2 calender days, so you may need to make customers aware of that on the free trial offer, as i lost out when trying it out as i signed up late in the day..

2. You really need to add a record function with timer aka (pvr) into your system as for sure you will lose possible signups because of the time delay, the +6 and + 18 hours seem to me to be a waste of time , better being able to schedule and time your own viewing, like the sky plus package for example..

3. take a look which i`m sure you have at the UKTV software and adopt some of that too, like pause,ff,fr...etc and no loss of footage...

4. It might just be my system, but one very annoying thing with your current set up {pc} is that i cant seem to flick between my desktop and your tv player as every time i move my mouse, say on firefox etc, the screen jumps back to your player...?

5. You really need to revise these things above, and introduce sports channels (eg eurosport etc) ...but not increase your fees for this, as to me you will be seen as greedy and price yourselfs out...

6. You have come along at the right time ( or pushed UKTV out) , because of the EURO football balls up you can get a good foothold into the live streaming market here....SO DONT treat the customers like <deleted> down the line...

GOOD LUCK..

P.S...i know this is an obvious point BUT worth remembering is the current cost of your customers internet package...1+1=2 but the 2 could come close to other deals out there...

Very good post and quite to the point!

Edited by MrRed

GOOD LUCK..

Great questions there Rizla, here are a few answers:

1. We have now extended the free trial to 3 calendar days.

2. This is in the pipeline, however we do have video on demand (VOD) content, you can check out the "Video" button on the software player or set top box. We will be providing HD (Blu Ray) quality movies, SD quality TV shows from the USA (family guy, Simpsons, game of thrones, desperate house wives, survivor etc), these services will be included in the monthly subscription initially.

3. We only just found out about UKTV when we started our service. I have spoken to a few sources "in the know" and apparently they didn't ever get shut down by anyone, they simply didnt have enough bandwidth to carry on providing the service. I have never seen the UKTV software. Although on the set top box there is a pause live TV function.

4. You can use the keyboard commands ALT + TAB, that will switch between programs. We do not provide the software player; this is provided by the solution provider, so we have no control over the interface or functions.

5. Additional channels will be coming in the next few months. The current package is the UK package. Other packages will be USA, Sky, German and maybe other countries in the future.

6. We would never treat our customers bad, I can honestly say we have tried to provide the best possible customer support, and will continue to do so.

We have just posted a video of the set top box & software player in action, you can view it on our website, just click one of the ADS at the right hand side of the Thai Visa News Forum.

If anyone else has any additional questions we are more than happy to respond.

Many Thanks,

Wes

• Like 1

@thaiexpattv when will it be available for mac?

Hi Nightshift,

We would like to have a software player for Apple Mac, but the system we are currently using does not support this.

However if there is enough demand for mobile watching we could start to offer mobile players for Android, iPhone & iPad in the next few months.

Many Thanks,

Wes

• Like 1

There are two diametrically opposite articles on the topic in today's papers. One says that NBTC ordered True to show the Euros, the other says NBTC decided that Grammy has the rights, football should be shown only on terrestrial TV, and True can't do anything about it. Both articles sound final on the matter.

There's no love for True left on this forum but Grammy is going to be so much better, so much more caring about its customers...

Just to add my twopence worth on Thaiexpat TV... I'm subscribed, software only, working like a charm. I'm planning to use it on a month by month basis for now but very impressed with the streaming quality and consistency.

Also customer service very good, what with replies on here and quick response to tickets raised on the website. Nice one guys, a refreshing change from True, long may you stay in business!

Role on HD content, a few more channels and I may have to kiss True goodbye altogether, at least until Premiership starts up again!

What ISP do you use and what speed?

Just to add my twopence worth on Thaiexpat TV... I'm subscribed, software only, working like a charm. I'm planning to use it on a month by month basis for now but very impressed with the streaming quality and consistency.

Also customer service very good, what with replies on here and quick response to tickets raised on the website. Nice one guys, a refreshing change from True, long may you stay in business!

Role on HD content, a few more channels and I may have to kiss True goodbye altogether, at least until Premiership starts up again!

What ISP do you use and what speed?

I've tried on 3x different ISPs now, working well on all 3.

TOT fiber 20/2 (actually 20-30mb DL domestic but only c.1mb international)

3BB Business 8/1 (actually only getting c.6mb DL domestic but strangely c.2mb international, quicker than TOT fiber!)

3BB Home 4 (actually getting 6mb, same as the Business line with similar international speeds!) This is the cheapo 590 bt a month package and it's great, but it's a brand new line/ junction box so I expect varies depending where you are and how many people you are "sharing" with down your street...

As it's based on local servers (this is the key point) most ISPs should be good, domestic DL speeds are usually fine, it's when you go international they drop right off...

• Like 1