Lost Passport.

Steveyf

hello

unfortunantley ive made a boo boo and left my passport on my flight when i got into chiang mai on saturday night (air asia) for some reason i put it into the little pouch infront of me then proceeded to fall asleep and wake up before landing, completley slipped my mind.

so its gone, been to the police and got a report, been to air asia and asked them to have a look but they phoned this morning to say that its not turned up, so i can only imagine its been lifted from the pocket or they havent checked the pouch properley,

( i actually have hopes of getting back on the flight on saturday and finding it where i left it)

my question is, can i go too the british consulate in chiang mai to report it lost/stolen and get a emergency travel document to get me back to the uk ( i fly back to the uk saturday 9th) and if yes does anyone know what the time frame is for getting the document from what ive read they have to do background checks e.t.c

or do i have to do it all in bangkok at the embassy

thanks for any information

steve

http://ukinthailand....nals/passports/

Emergency Travel Document (ETD)

To obtain an Emergency Travel Document (ETD), the applicant must apply in person. They will need to establish if the country they are planning to travel to accepts ETDs. To do this, they will need to contact that country's embassy.

An ETD is valid for only one return journey out of Thailand which can be to a maximum of five destinations. A person may only be issued with 2 ETDs within a 12 month period.

Please bring the following:

• completed application form
  • recently taken passport sized photograph
  • proof of your confirmed travel plans (e.g. travel itinerary, hotel booking etc.)
  • If you are resident in Thailand, proof that your passport is unavailable (If lost/stolen; a police report).
  • copy of passport data page
  • payment

When you have the requirements listed above, please come to the

Consular Section of the British Embassy and explain that you need to travel urgently.

You can download the form from the above link. I do hope you manage to sort it out.

Eddie

Public Holidays. British Embassy Thailand

• Monday 4 June - Visakha Bucha Day (& UK Spring Bank Holiday)
  • Tuesday 5 June - Queen’s Diamond Jubilee*

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/find-an-embassy/asia-and-oceania/hon-consulate-chiang-mai

In case of an emergency requiring consular assistance outside office hours, the public should call the British Embassy in Bangkok on

</span> </span> </span>+66 (0) 2 305 8333</span></span> </span></span> </span>

and follow the instructions.

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 2

yup, already tried calling closed till wednesday, gives me 4 days to sort it :|

And what about calling some service (your city-hall?? or who does hand out the passport in the UK?) in the UK for information about this?

Explain the local "holiday situation" maybe they can help?

just a thought.....

Edited by KhunVee

And what about calling some service (your city-hall?? or who does hand out the passport in the UK?) in the UK for information about this?

just a thought.....

More likely to be on holiday, I think.

Everyone's on holiday there!

just a thought.....

Ohh,... also in UK? Did not know they have a holiday there now.

Good thing the OP's problem is nothing serious then.....

just a thought.....

Ohh,... also in UK? Did not know they have a holiday there now.

Good thing the OP's problem is nothing serious then.....

Yes, the government has given public holidays until Wed, to celebrate the Queen's diamond jubilee.

Under the impression that the first thing you most do is go to the main police station inside the old city and fill a report of a missing/lost pp with the police. You take this police report to your consulate other wise the consulate will not talk to you.

quick update, just got off the phone and they have found my passport in bkk. (cant tell you how relieved i am)

yes national holiday in the uk until wednesday and i also believe that britsh consulates have this time off aswell or maybe its because of the bhuddist holiday falling at the same point as the jubilee.

as i done more digging around maybe it might be of use to someone along the same lines as myself,

once you have the police report the british consulate in chiang mai will deal with the matter but they have to send all the information to the embassy in bkk. the price for the emergency travel document is about the same price as a new passport (£77) and also 50 baht for the police report.

also i had to use the police report in lieu of my passport to change money at an exchange booth.

thanks guys

Now that you have had a...ahem...happy ending, how did you manage to get through immigration at CNX or BKK wherever you came in, without a passport? Just curious how immigration handles a situation like that.

Edited by DowntownAl

Now that you have had a...ahem...happy ending, how did you manage to get through immigration at CNX or BKK wherever you came in, without a passport? Just curious how immigration handles a situation like that.

I assume he cleared Immigration at BKK. If no passport on arrival international side of the immigration desk he would have been kept in quarantine until UK embassy officials turned up with the temporary papers. Same as arrival in any country without documentation.

I assume he cleared Immigration at BKK. If no passport on arrival international side of the immigration desk he would have been kept in quarantine until UK embassy officials turned up with the temporary papers. Same as arrival in any country without documentation.

Yes, of course, he would have cleared in BKK with passport and then connected to CM on a domestic flight where the passport was left behind.

I always photocopy my passport pages prior to any trips.

I once misplaced my passport when openign a bank account in Thailand (the girl in the bank who took my details had put my passport in her draw with the intention of ringing me later in the day)

When I reported it missing I was lucky enough to have a copy of my passport to give to the police, he even mentioned it is a good idea to have a copy of your passport when travelling.

Edited by Tywais
Corrected formating.

as mentioned i had my passport up until landing in chiang mai, had it for bkk immigration, check in for flight, just between flying and arriving i left it in the seat pouch,

just hope the depatrue card is still in the passport as it had not been stapelled in place, will report it found as soon as i have it in my hands and back in chiang mai

steve

just hope the depatrue card is still in the passport as it had not been stapelled in place, will report it found as soon as i have it in my hands and back in chiang mai

Don't fret too much about the departure card. I let mine 'slip out' once and all I had to do was fill in another departure card. It's the entry stamp in the passport that's the important one.