(Rather) New Dim Sum Place

weary

At 89 Plaza, Nong Hoi. It's the restaurant the furthest to the South on the West side of the road to Saraphi. That is the same side as Miguel's Nong Hoi, not the same side as 7 Eleven and Tesco Express.

The chef was used to be dim sum chef at the Mandarin Oriental Dharadevi.

The restaurant itself is a regular run of the mill type place with some Chinese bric-a-brac and a picture of the Great Wall on one of the walls. Not sure why the place often smells strongly of liniment, but it's a minor niggle considering the quality of the grub - after 5-6 minutes you don't notice it anymore.

I tend not to be a fan of the dim sum I've tried before, but I've returned to this place three times now, and will do so again. It's hard to describe exactly what I like so much about it, but part of it is that the vegetables feel very fresh and that all dishes are cooked just long enough to bring out their optimal flavour.

Since it's dim sum, each dish is rather small, so you'll need to order quite a few to get full.

Just thought others might be interested, even though it's not a burger joint. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I love dim sum and have not yet had any in Chiang Mai. I will definitely try and find it. I don't know Nong Hoi at all well, only Lamphun Rd but will try and wend my way there.

Mrs Millwall_fan and I are also big fans of Dim Sum. At the moment we go to the China Palace at the Holiday Inn (honestly, don't let the rather kitsch reputation of Holiday Inn put you off, it's excellent -On Sundays, they do all you can eat Dim sum (and no its not all Shrimp Dumplings and glutinous rice by any means!) plus soup and a main course for 330 baht per head -no plus plus. Once you get to know them they'll let you bring your own wine without a corkage fee.

Having said all that, we love to try new places and will certainly give your suggestion a go. As stated above, if the chef has worked at Fujian he must be pretty competent! Thanks for the info!

im also a big fan of dimsum. how is the quality? i miss those dimsum from hongkong and singapore. some dimsums here are so ridiculous, basic things like siewmai taste nothing like a siewmai. it just like calling a bologna ham

i miss the chee chong fan! my mrs would kill for the chicken feet

08hseofriceroll04.jpg

would give holiday inn a try. at 330baht a head, what main and soup are we looking at? sounds like a okay deal if the dimsum is decent, i will probably report back here next week

sounds interesting, will have to go check it out, I love dim sum, one of my many weaknesses with food where I can't stop eating!

I'll also try that Dim Sum buffet millwall fan mentioned. Is it excellent quality? as it's a little pricy.

The one I can recommend is the place just up the road from the Gekko bar, sorry don't know the name of it, that is very good and reasonably priced.

The place up the road form Gecko Garden is exactly as CM Steve says: shrimp dumplings and glutinous rice - but at 10 baht a small plate its very cheap. honestly! how can you say 330 baht (US$11, under 7GBP or AU$11) is expensive for a meal in a nice restaurant? Sometimes I despair of the cheap charlies that live here.

I don't normally post on foodie threads but I must say I have been there many times since it opened.

Now it's one of my favourite places for lunch and sometimes dinner , sometimes my wife will bring me back a takeaway from there if she's in the area it's THAT good!!!

I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you are a Dim Sum fan you won't find better in Chiang Mai IMHOthumbsup.gif

im also a big fan of dimsum. how is the quality? i miss those dimsum from hongkong and singapore. some dimsums here are so ridiculous, basic things like siewmai taste nothing like a siewmai. it just like calling a bologna ham

i miss the chee chong fan! my mrs would kill for the chicken feet

08hseofriceroll04.jpg

would give holiday inn a try. at 330baht a head, what main and soup are we looking at? sounds like a okay deal if the dimsum is decent, i will probably report back here next week

The Fujian was good so I'm hoping the chef keeps the same standard but having said that this is Chiang Mai and it is best to forget about HK dim sum if you really want to enjoy this. It's certainly not bad at all but HK ist just too good for dim sum to compete with.

Mmm..... reminds me of soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai! yes, I know its not "real" Chinese, but Mmmmm...

btw, as I sit here slobbering, a thought occurred(more of a hankering). Does anyone know of a good place for a simple fried soft shell crab?

great food, smell is unbearable though. I use take out. The owner is a very friendly and considerate person.

I loved this wet dumpling. Very new to me. outside was noodle inside was soup.

Edited by CMSteve

btw, as I sit here slobbering, a thought occurred(more of a hankering). Does anyone know of a good place for a simple fried soft shell crab?

Lemon Tree often has it on the specials menu.. Tasty and not overly expensive. (Huay Kaew Road, opposite the Shell Gas Station up from Central)