Do You Wear A Buddha

mraitchison

I met a guy at Carre Four last night who was wearing a rather large Buddha around his neck- it wasn't quite Public Enemy size but it was big.

I am doing my best to be friendlier to people in public so I said hello and made my way.,but I couldn't get the big Buddha out of my head.

So it got me thinking about all the other expats I meet when I move about Thailand some with Buddhas and some without.

I personaly don't wear one - I see no reason to wear one. I am not Buddhist and I cannot see it helping me get accepted into Thai society for wearing one.

So do you wear a Buddha and why or why not.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a guy at Carre Four last night who was wearing a rather large Buddha around his neck- it wasn't quite Public Enemy size but it was big.

I am doing my best to be friendlier to people in public so I said hello and made my way.,but I couldn't get the big Buddha out of my head.

So it got me thinking about all the other expats I meet when I move about Thailand some with Buddhas and some without.

I personaly don't wear one - I see no reason to wear one. I am not Buddhist and I cannot see it helping me get accepted into Thai society for wearing one.

I had one given to me by a friend of my wifes family and my wife brought a beeded chain and put a few gold beeds on. so at first I just wore it to keep the missus happy but now days I feel naked with out it.

And I have had pretty good luck since wearing it so why change a good thing

I don't wear a Buddha (I think jewellery looks crass on men anyway) but I have been given various figures over the years - one which is supposed to be lucky for travelling stays in my travel bag, one lucky in money is in my wallet, etc. A load of nonsense but keeps the family happy :o

I had a piece of cord which Thailands' top monk blessed me with on my wrist for a few years, but it got a bit smelly - for some reason the family were quite envious of that.

I agree... if you are not Buddhist, then you should not feel obligated to wear a Buddha around your neck.

Not all Thais are Buddhists... some are Muslims, others Christians, and others... ???. Personally, I think it is somewhat hypocritical to adorn oneself with a religious icon if not participating in the faith to which the icon pertains. But that's just me. Others are free to do whatever they wish, and to follow their ideals.

BTW, I do not wear a Buddha. I used to hang one from the rear-view mirror of my car, for good luck. I can't say if it worked or not... I never had an accident, but that could be attributed to my driving ability, not the Buddha.

I don't think it looks terribly good when worn clearly visible. But I think that of Thai men wearing big or multiple amulets, too. Kind of mafia or wannabe-mafia.

And then for many men it's the missus who insists on wearing one. That one has a function more or less similar to the reason why dogs pee on trees. It proclaims "THIS ONE IS TAKEN!". Bet some of the Khmer ladies also get ones for their husbands that are specifically intended to deflect other women's attention. :o

I wear one (under my shirt) when travelling. Small jade one. I guess I'm a de-facto Buddhist anyway, as nothing else really applies. Anyway it's what I fill in on forms or when people ask. (Saying 'none' appears to be needlessly distressing)

I have 3 Buddhas that I normally wear on a nylon cord but only when I am going farther than the local villages.

Two were given to me by my girlfriend now my wife and the other from the monk at the local temple.

They are usually worn inside my shirt and my wife and I know they are there. One is supposed to bring good luck and another is for luck when I am driving.

I am not a Buddhist though in time I would like to become one.

As a devout atheist I dont wear one as I feel it would be a bit hyipacritical, and my wife and family know better than to give me one as a gift. I would appreciate the gift but never wear it. Then again I dont even wear a watch or wedding ring.

I have nothing agains those that chose to wear them for whatever reason each to their own and all that.

RC

I have 3 Buddhas that I normally wear on a nylon cord but only when I am going farther than the local villages.

Two were given to me by my girlfriend now my wife and the other from the monk at the local temple.

They are usually worn inside my shirt and my wife and I know they are there. One is supposed to bring good luck and another is for luck when I am driving.

I am not a Buddhist though in time I would like to become one.

I wear a baht chain with a small Buddha on it. Like others, it was a gift years ago. Have worn it ever since. I also have a Buddhist good luck charm dangling on my rear view mirror. I'm not religous, but have much respect and interest in the Buddhist beliefs. Especially when compared to the "business of religion" here in thte states.

Besides, if the good luck driving Buddha works for the Tuk-Tuk drivers, it can't do any harm for me.

G

I wear a small silver amulet, but always have it under my shirt. My gf bought it for me so I always wear it. I do like to think it will keep me safe as I fly around on the back of motorcycle taxis though.

For some reason I hate those farangs who wear 3 or 4 big amulets outside their shirt. It looks bad enough on Thai guys, but on farangs...

I don't think it looks terribly good when worn clearly visible. But I think that of Thai men wearing big or multiple amulets, too. Kind of mafia or wannabe-mafia.

Yes. In my experience, the higher on the socio-economic scale, the less likely it is that a person will be wearing a (visible) Buddha amulet. I see very few, even tiny ones, worn by Bangkok office ladies. Guys with multiple huge amulets are usually rough types, presumably worried about meeting a sticky end.

And then for many men it's the missus who insists on wearing one. That one has a function more or less similar to the reason why dogs pee on trees. It proclaims "THIS ONE IS TAKEN!".

It certainly may have that effect - either that a wife/girlfriend gave it to him or he's just wearing it because it looks cool. I doubt any serious farang Buddhist would wear one because amulets and good-luck charms have nothing to do with the core teachings of Buddhism.

I have a small buddha I wear on a simple chain. I don't for a second believe its got any good luck, or other associations. It's more an artistic than spiritual thing as I follow a different sect of buddhism, but like the northern Thai style buddha depicted on the face.

cv

My wife gave me a small very old Budddha, that she had wrapped in gold and plastic.It has been with the family for quite a while. I can't remember the name of it. Since I am leaning toward Buddhism it seems a nice place to start. And it is under my shirt at all times.

I have a Buddha image, on a chain, as does my wife. We don't wear them all the time. They are images that are unique to where we live. And they are discreet and beautiful. She takes me to the wat from time to time for various events and for enterprises. Its just the way we live and do business. I dont feel obliged to believe nor to reject what it all amounts to!

I wear a 3 baht chain with a medalion showing the Princess Mother,

the late mother of the King.

My wife thinks it provides me with protection.

Like the other poster, I feel naked without it nowadays.

Edited by astral

The supplimental for a Buddha for the married men is the cord tied permenantly around your waist by the monk. I tried it for a while, and I found it uncomfortable particularly after a shower and it also started to leave a mark in the leather seats in the car - - - Off it came, its somewhere now :o

> My wife gave me a small very old Budddha, that she had wrapped in

> gold and plastic.It has been with the family for quite a while. I

> can't remember the name of it.

I call mine 'Buddhy'. :o

> I doubt any serious farang Buddhist would wear one because

> amulets and good-luck charms have nothing to do with the

> core teachings of Buddhism.

Yeah, I guess. Then again there's no requirement anywhere that someone should aspire to become a 'serious' hard-core Buddhist and not the Thai version that very much includes a healthy dose of animism. (And I'm stressing that there's nothing wrong with that, also given that pretty much all mainstream popular religions are rife with it.)

> As a devout atheist I dont wear one as I feel it would be a bit

> hyipacritical

Raises the interesting question for me if one could be an atheist and Buddhist at the same time.. Core Buddhist teachings don't really rely on or require any hocus pocus fairy tales that can't be logically or scientifically verified. (Depends a little in your definition of some aspects, like 'karma', but Buddha himself told people to question such things so by all means do so.)

I guess being both atheist and Buddhist is perfectly fine.. Atheism doesn't require that you distance yourself from all morals or philosophy, merely that there is no god to create or mother over things. Buddhism doesn't claim there is a god to give or take away just the same. (Nor does it claim that there is no god or other stuff you can't see or touch)

I've got a small Buddha that was given to me by my wife's father, so it has a certain amount of sentimental value to it. It's a kind of "acceptance" token in my eyes.

I've never been a religious kind of person and having explained my reservations about religious icons to both my in-laws and also a couple of monks at the local temple they say it's not just a Buddhist thing, it's as much an 'offering' of a small piece of my in-laws culture and as I say an acceptance into the family. Nothing more personal to give than a Buddha.

...'Bout bloody time, we've been together nearly 6 years and I've only had the Buddha since beginning of 2005.

I wear it around my neck on one of those black leathery type things, very discreet. My wife is always checking to see if I'm wearing it when we go out, now it's second nature.

Don't forget though all expats, when doing "romantic" things with your better half ALWAYS remove the Buddha...!!

Forgot to add, my wife now wears my old St.Christopher!

I had one given to me by a friend of my wifes family and my wife brought a beeded chain and put a few gold beeds on. so at first I just wore it to keep the missus happy but now days I feel naked with out it.

And I have had pretty good luck since wearing it so why change a good thing

I was given an amulett by a monk in Amnat back in the 60,s it seems to be of a well known holy man , because thais everywhere recognise it, I wear it for sentimental reasons,dont know about the good luck thing though, nignoy