Calling All Dads With Half Thai Kids.

klubex99

It is also extremely important that both parents put in face time with the children and speak to them in their native languages during the period from 6-9 months.

Watching TV or hearing the sounds isn't enough. It has to be spoken directly from a live person. Research has shown that it is during this period that the child forms feedback networks in their brain which inhibits the sounds that aren't going to be necessary for language processing. Before this, they essentially hear every sound equally. During this period, they construct a filter that selectively recognizes only the important sounds that they will need for language. Most children can always pick up another language even after 9 months, but optimal results come by making sure they get the proper stimulation in this critical period. Your ability to learn and recognize new sounds degrades continuously after this, although early on in life not by much. By the time you reach adulthood however, it may be very difficult to train your brain to hear different sounds. After 15 years in Thailand I still can't actually hear the tones in some of the words, and have to rely more on context to differentiate which variant of a particular phoneme was spoken.

So the takeaway from this is start to be multilingual when you are very young. Yes, the child may take longer to begin speaking, but much research shows that this is optimal from the child's perspective. The concern that something is wrong because speech is delayed a few months has been shown over and over again to be an ill informed opinion. By speaking both languages early he will quickly catch up and overtake those who were introduced to a second language after they were 2 years old.

Sadly, my twins are 2, but most of the Chinese language schools won't take the children until they are 4. I wish I could find a place to send my kids now. They don't need to learn anything specific, but I want to get them exposed to the tones and sounds of the language as early as possible. The longer I wait, the harder I know it will be for them.

Does anyone know of a Mandarin school near Rangsit that has a program for toddlers?

Not a dad myself, but I teach many half kids who speak Thai/English and many a third language.

Speak whatever your native tongue is, my Thai is quite good, but if I end up having half Thai kids I won't be speaking to them in Thai until they are able to comprehend that dad doesn't pronounce everything correct and isn't the person to be learning from,

• Like 2

I met a Thai couple a few years ago who's children spoke excellent English. I'm sure they were showing off a bit but can't blame them. They told me that at home their children are not allowed to speak Thai only English. The mother said the children get enough exposure to Thai at school.

The proof was in the pudding as they say both the children answered any questions I asked them in perfect English.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

My oldest is trilingual and very good at it. The youngest is only beginning to speak, but will get the same linguistic abilities I'm sure. We never made any specific efforts, my wife spoke only Thai, I spoke my native language when I was the only parent at home, and whenever we were together as a family we all spoke English. Even though it soon became obvious that Thai was the dominating language (I blame the environment, TV and playing with Thai friends), none of my kids have any problems managing English, Thai or my native language.

Word of advice, don't panic when a child grows up in a bi- or trilingual environment and appears not to be able to manage - it is a known fact that trilingual children takes a little longer to sort out the linguistic characteristics of each language, and for this reason it usually takes a bit longer before they start using languages in a more advanced manner. I know an English speaking person married to a Thai who's daughter would NEVER speak English even though he constantly spoke to her in English during her first 3-4 years. He doesn't speak Thai so it was a bit frustrating for him when the girl replied to everything in Thai. One day when was almost 4 she started using English, and she did it like a true native, it was like flipping a button, very bizarre.

My oldest is trilingual and very good at it. The youngest is only beginning to speak, but will get the same linguistic abilities I'm sure. We never made any specific efforts, my wife spoke only Thai, I spoke my native language when I was the only parent at home, and whenever we were together as a family we all spoke English. Even though it soon became obvious that Thai was the dominating language (I blame the environment, TV and playing with Thai friends), none of my kids have any problems managing English, Thai or my native language.

Word of advice, don't panic when a child grows up in a bi- or trilingual environment and appears not to be able to manage - it is a known fact that trilingual children takes a little longer to sort out the linguistic characteristics of each language, and for this reason it usually takes a bit longer before they start using languages in a more advanced manner. I know an English speaking person married to a Thai who's daughter would NEVER speak English even though he constantly spoke to her in English during her first 3-4 years. He doesn't speak Thai so it was a bit frustrating for him when the girl replied to everything in Thai. One day when was almost 4 she started using English, and she did it like a true native, it was like flipping a button, very bizarre.

bilingual Thai/ENglish, my child was similar, though started speaking earlier than 4.

It was as if she spent time getting the languages straight in her head, then one day started talking.

She hasnt stopped

In my sons experience (observed on my part only) moving around between countrys provided difficulties in his academic learning . He is getting there dispite my having made continous mistakes in choice of school for him . Understanding language makes people feel at home, and not, can can make them a stranger .

My 5 year old daughter speaks both Thai and English very well. My wife and her mom, who lives with us, speak Thai with her almost exclusively while I speak only english with her. She also attends a bi-lingual kindergarten program, and has for 2 years now. As you have said, at a young age they are like sponges and absorb the language very easily. I'm sure you won't have any problems.

My 5 year old daughter speaks both Thai and English very well. My wife and her mom, who lives with us, speak Thai with her almost exclusively while I speak only english with her. She also attends a bi-lingual kindergarten program, and has for 2 years now. As you have said, at a young age they are like sponges and absorb the language very easily. I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Yeh, wish l was 60 years younger. laugh.png

1. Send them to a school which has English program.
  2. Only speak to them in English.
  3. Kids love cartoons, so if you have the option make them watch them with the language set to English.
  4. Take advantage of their curiosity and answer their questions as thoroughly as you can.

Just to add, me and my wife generally talk English together.

And

Although our son doesn't speak much Thai, he has a very good understanding if the language

Ie "ba" which is to go.

no it is not

haha thats right, ba doesnt mean to go. bai does though.

Friend of mine taught his daughter to speak Russian and his wife taught her English. They live in australia, Her teachers say she has learning difficulties because of learning 2 languages. It could just be their child or it could be because of that. I think at her age which is 4, she will get over any problems shes picked up so it wouldnt deter me from teaching my kid both languages and it will be learnimg both.