How Are Your Investments Doing?

Yesterday was a great day! Up 2% in one day. I'm only down 3% over the past year. Up for this year 4%. I use Google to track my portfolio and it seems to be calculating something wrong. I've got to figure that out!

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was a great day! Up 2% in one day. I'm only down 3% over the past year. Up for this year 4%. I use Google to track my portfolio and it seems to be calculating something wrong. I've got to figure that out!

I predict its a dead cat bounce- traders with tons of excess cash looking to make some same day profits (good for them). The bounce is based on a prediction that there will be a new round of QE plus some vague calls for banking union in EU. I expect further drops this week if no new QE is announced by Bernake on Thursday (highly unlikely he will) and once markets realise that nothing has changed in EU other than some more talk talk. So i am still holding my cash as i think the market has not yet reached near bottom....

(mind you, the problem about making predictions about stock prices is that will be proven right/wrong in a few days is that other posters can easily highlight your failure- like that poster on thaivisa who predicted a big jump in facebook stock price on the IPO day biggrin.png )

Edited by ExpatJ

Troubled waters lie ahead for sure. Hard to predict what's coming up. It could be a disaster, or (doubtful) the economic powers could come together to try to fix this mess. I'm happy with the jump, but am moving into safer investments for sure.

Aberdeen Growth +16%

Aberdeen LTF +15%

ING Thai Equity +11%

ING Thai Good Governance +10.5%

ING Thai Big Cap +9%

any ISINs available Fletch?

Sorry I don't use the ISINs for these. I check the prices via their websites and occasionally look at the factsheets, eg:

smile.png

i just looked at these facts:

ING Funds (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Aberdeen Asset Management Thailand Company Limited

ermm.gif

Aberdeen Growth +16%

Aberdeen LTF +15%

ING Thai Equity +11%

ING Thai Good Governance +10.5%

ING Thai Big Cap +9%

any ISINs available Fletch?

Sorry I don't use the ISINs for these. I check the prices via their websites and occasionally look at the factsheets, eg:

smile.png

i just looked at these facts:

ING Funds (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Aberdeen Asset Management Thailand Company Limited

ermm.gif

Not quite sure what your objections are. Many overseas financial institutions here set up a subsidiary to do business in order to comply with the regulations. The way I see it you have the protection of the local regulator in Thailand, plus the parent company overseas would usually see the moral obligation in supporting their overseas business (whether legally obliged to do so or not).

When it comes to managing Thai equities, the best fund management groups are based in Thailand.

:)

1. Not quite sure what your objections are. Many overseas financial institutions here set up a subsidiary to do business in order to comply with the regulations.

2. The way I see it you have the protection of the local regulator in Thailand,

3. plus the parent company overseas would usually see the moral obligation in supporting their overseas business (whether legally obliged to do so or not).

3. When it comes to managing Thai equities, the best fund management groups are based in Thailand.

smile.png

1. my objections are clearly "Thai Company Limited"

2. sure ermm.gif

3. an assumption

4. fully agree thumbsup.gif

I predict its a dead cat bounce- traders with tons of excess cash looking to make some same day profits (good for them). The bounce is based on a prediction that there will be a new round of QE plus some vague calls for banking union in EU. I expect further drops this week if no new QE is announced by Bernake on Thursday (highly unlikely he will) and once markets realise that nothing has changed in EU other than some more talk talk. So i am still holding my cash as i think the market has not yet reached near bottom....

(mind you, the problem about making predictions about stock prices is that will be proven right/wrong in a few days is that other posters can easily highlight your failure- like that poster on thaivisa who predicted a big jump in facebook stock price on the IPO day biggrin.png )

It is worth noting that the bottom is reached when the future looks its bleakest and the current situation at its most uncertain. The bottom is not represented by the end of bad news. Now for sure some guys will say, OK, I don't need the bottom I will take the turn and give up the initial bounce. The trouble with that one, is that others will be chiming in with the hey it is a dead cat bounce smile.png . You can go on like this for ever.

It is worth noting that the bottom is reached when the future looks its bleakest and the current situation at its most uncertain. The bottom is not represented by the end of bad news. Now for sure some guys will say, OK, I don't need the bottom I will take the turn and give up the initial bounce. The trouble with that one, is that others will be chiming in with the hey it is a dead cat bounce smile.png . You can go on like this for ever.

Can i just say that 2 hours after i posted this, CNBC had as their main headline exactly what i posted and last nights US and todays Asian markets are headed down so far- CASH BACK! As Alan Partridge would say.

I am out of the stock market except for two exchange traded funds. I think I was quite lucky not to have lost any money and even made a little, actually very little. The remaining two ETF's have dropped drastically. One is down 66 percent and the other has dropped 40 percent. Even with the drop, I still get 4 percent from one and 5 percent from the other based on my original purchase cost. I will hold them until they go back up or until they are worthless. I planned to get totally out of the market but don't have the stomach to take the $14,000 hit since they are still paying dividends.

My money is now sitting in a money market and the return is paltry to say the least.

I am out of the stock market except for two exchange traded funds. I think I was quite lucky not to have lost any money and even made a little, actually very little. The remaining two ETF's have dropped drastically. One is down 66 percent and the other has dropped 40 percent. Even with the drop, I still get 4 percent from one and 5 percent from the other based on my original purchase cost. I will hold them until they go back up or until they are worthless. I planned to get totally out of the market but don't have the stomach to take the $14,000 hit since they are still paying dividends.

My money is now sitting in a money market and the return is paltry to say the least.

I cashed out today. Here's the performance of my money market account. NOT GOOD!!

http://money.cnn.com/quote/mutualfund/mutualfund.html?symb=USAXX

I cashed out today. Here's the performance of my money market account. NOT GOOD!!

http://money.cnn.com...html?symb=USAXX

Those of us who have cashed out without any big losses are potentially on track to make big big profits if we can time the market right since there are some very cheap stocks out there. I am waiting for a concrete proposal and then some form of political agreement in EU . What are other peoples buy signals?

These are the stocks i have on my buy list as soon as i jump in again:

Thailand: ADVANC, KBANK PTTGC, LANNA

Singapore: Jardine coach and carriage; Jardine Metheson; Singtel

Edited by ExpatJ

Can i just say that 2 hours after i posted this, CNBC had as their main headline exactly what i posted and last nights US and todays Asian markets are headed down so far- CASH BACK! As Alan Partridge would say.

You are highly unlikely to be as attractive as Kelly Evans, so your point doesn't count.

Those of us who have cashed out without any big losses are potentially on track to make big big profits if we can time the market right since there are some very cheap stocks out there. I am waiting for a concrete proposal and then some form of political agreement in EU . What are other peoples buy signals?

I'm also ready to jump in and buy (more) stocks, but just waiting for the right opportunity. But im scared that when we hear the good news the market will already be +5% etc.. sad.png

I'm also ready to jump in and buy (more) stocks, but just waiting for the right opportunity. But im scared that when we hear the good news the market will already be +5% etc.. sad.png

And that sums it up in a nutshell.......

• Like 1

I am facing a thing called the Jangot paradox...

I sold my UK house in early 87 and invested in equity funds just in time for the crash...

I finished a long expat project in '97 and invested the sizeable end bonus in Asian currency funds...

I then went into tech stock in 2000

My adult sons say their sure fire investment strategy is to watch what I do and do the opposite.

So I figure if I then watch what they do and follow them, I could be OK...or will it be a self cancelling circle.

Now, what do I do with my cash (such as I have left)?

HSBC keeps sending me proposals, but I swear I will never again pay some fund manager 5% just to lose me my money.

But the cash is just sitting there getting almost no interest.

What to do!!

A good friend of mine and I used to make fun of my friend's brother. My friend's brother kept his considerable amount of money in bank CD's. He got the last laugh. When the bottom fell out, my friend's brother told us that he still had all his money safe and sound. Both myself and my friend took quite a beating. What to do? I have no idea.

HSBC keeps sending me proposals, but I swear I will never again pay some fund manager 5% just to lose me my money.

If your cash is earning next to no interest then maybe you only have yourself to blame. I get an average of nearly 5% tax-free on my UK deposits and whilst most of the best accounts have dropped their rates this year there are still one or two available near that rate. 4% is easily achievable.

As for paying managers, I don't do that either and never have. If you want to buy shares the only valid way to do it is to select them yourself and keep an eye on them yourself, or if that sounds a bit daring then maybe you should be looking for tracking type funds or ETFs that have a minimal management charge. I have had a few and the management charge is around 0.25% per year, with no initial charge at all.

I am facing a thing called the Jangot paradox...

I sold my UK house in early 87 and invested in equity funds just in time for the crash...

I finished a long expat project in '97 and invested the sizeable end bonus in Asian currency funds...

I then went into tech stock in 2000

My adult sons say their sure fire investment strategy is to watch what I do and do the opposite.

So I figure if I then watch what they do and follow them, I could be OK...or will it be a self cancelling circle.

Now, what do I do with my cash (such as I have left)?

What to do!!

This is a suggestion for 45120 pounds 4*11280.

Put 11280 into a 3 year building society bond, say Yorkshire etc.

Put 11280 into a 2 year building society bond.

Put 11280 into a 1 year building society bond.

Open a stocks and shares ISA with your bank and put in the full amount 11280.

Buy a good dividend blue chip stock, say RDSB (Shell) which is paying over 5% on the current share price. The dividend will be tax free so equivalent to over 7% before tax.

Next year put the matured 1 year bond into the 2013-2014 ISA and repeat or a new share eg Vodafone.

Put 11280 into a new 3 year BS bond.

Rinse and repeat.

(Can't recommend further unless amount known)

I'm in the red a lot currently, I.m shamed to tell a figure,but I hate to sell at a loss as I always heed the advice I got many moons ago.You only lose when you're selling at a loss.

I also recall that after the worst market crash in history,which lasted from 1929 till 1932, that as of today the share prices have recovered. ( and crashed and recovered several times over since)

I'm with you for ADVANC, bought at 96.50 May last year and paid diviidend I think 3 times together about 12 baht. A good trender and my stop is at 163.00 and I bail out. KBANK Bought in Dec at 120.and 2THB dividend this year. Bail out at EOD 143 so should givre me profit. PTTGC is on mywatch list as well as IVL, Don.thave any exposure in petrochem but they both looks as selling canditates so I stay out. LANNA I don't follow.

tax free 5% is not exactly overwhelming considering that Sterling has lost an average of 6.8% per annum vs. Thai Baht during the last 5 years. THB is the benchmark for most of us because the lion share of our expenses is in THB.

tax free 5% is not exactly overwhelming considering that Sterling has lost an average of 6.8% per annum vs. Thai Baht during the last 5 years. THB is the benchmark for most of us because the lion share of our expenses is in THB.

Naam ... if you are in Thailand ... it's 5am (near enough when you posted) Sunday morning for Christs sake.

Relax, enjoy ... think of nothing this morning!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ia-8_14-M4[/media]

You work to mutt ... tongue.png

Seen an amusing SIGN in Thailand recently … share it

here.

Edited by David48

OK ... seriously now.

From the Broker.

The Trend

• The SET soared outstandingly at the beginning to touch 1134.61 points before falling in the afternoon session, reflecting that it is very volatile as the selling forces flowed out quickly. This confirms that the rebound will be short term only.
  • It will be difficult for the index to have a long run up after the appearance of a Black Candlestick as this prevented a continuation of the pattern. The index will need greater purchasing power in order to breach the resistance on the top.
  • The sentiment is still fragile and ready to sell immediately if there are negative factors affecting the index. However, the rebound is not over yet as the index is tending to move sideways with the resistance at 1138 and 1150 points. If the index can remain over 1100 points, positive signals will keep the hope of a climb alive.
  • Nevertheless, we continue to look at the support at 1100 points carefully because if the index slides below this level, a selling signal will occur. Therefore, the focus should be on brief speculation and profit taking when the index lifts up.

Naam ... if you are in Thailand ... it's 5am (near enough when you posted) Sunday morning for Christs sake.

Relax, enjoy ... think of nothing this morning!

You work to mutt ... tongue.png

since 37 years i am getting up every morning between 03.30 and 04.00 hours. it used to be work related but not anymore as i am happily retired since nearly 23 years. getting up at 05.00 means i overslept laugh.png lying in bed at 10.00 means i am in intensive care after open heart surgery w00t.gif

p.s. i am relaxed, enjoying a quiet sunday morning and will now take my dogs for a drive and later a seafood breakfast at a secluded beach near by rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I am trying not to looking backwards. I am making a suggestion on what to do now for a UK resident whose past investment record has been somewhat battered and probably is not up for slinging his remaining moolah around the Thai stock market. Assuming that an investor has a pot to invest, then putting ~11k sterling into a tax free wrapper each year is not a big commitment but does add up over the years. Also, for those who have not burned their boats I think it is a decent way to keep some capital remaining in the UK.

tax free 5% is not exactly overwhelming considering that Sterling has lost an average of 6.8% per annum vs. Thai Baht during the last 5 years.

True, but all the drop occurred in just one 6-month period and was really due to the threat of QE and its side-effects. Also worth remembering that the THB suffered a similar huge drop over a similarly short time in the previous crash.

I have under 10% of my wealth here as there is no investment in Thailand that I care to put more than a token sum into, for various reasons but not least because it is unlikely that I will spend the rest of my life here. Putting a lot of money into a country in which I have no right of abode seems like borderline insanity to me. Investment for me is a two-way deal, but Thailand seems to want to keep everything stacked in its favour.

• Like 2

tax free 5% is not exactly overwhelming considering that Sterling has lost an average of 6.8% per annum vs. Thai Baht during the last 5 years.

True, but all the drop occurred in just one 6-month period and was really due to the threat of QE and its side-effects. Also worth remembering that the THB suffered a similar huge drop over a similarly short time in the previous crash.

I have under 10% of my wealth here as there is no investment in Thailand that I care to put more than a token sum into, for various reasons but not least because it is unlikely that I will spend the rest of my life here. Putting a lot of money into a country in which I have no right of abode seems like borderline insanity to me. Investment for me is a two-way deal, but Thailand seems to want to keep everything stacked in its favour.

I tend to agree, but irrespective of whether I want to spend the rest of my life in Thailand, I have decided I don't want to park any serious investment in Thailand outside of immediate living considerations. And I don't see this as a UK Vs Thailand thing.