Research And Writing In Thailand - Visa?

I am an Australian under 40 and plan to spend about 6-12 months later this year based in Bangkok during research and writing of my new book on business in Asia. I have read about the need for a sponsor in Thailand but, as this is my own work, will not have one. I would prefer not to use a tourist visa if it means leaving Thailand every 30 days. Any other options, suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Strictly speaking, what you intend is probably officially classified as working. If you try and abide by the rules, you'll be given the run around until you give up in frustration. But, if you apply for a double entry non-immigrant "o" visa, do your research and type up notes on your laptop, no one will ever be the wiser. Publish your book overseas and keep all funds out of thailand, and you can't go wrong. Of course, I'm not advising this course of action, just showing how easy it is to circumvent red tape.

Strictly speaking, what you intend is probably officially classified as working. If you try and abide by the rules, you'll be given the run around until you give up in frustration. But, if you apply for a double entry non-immigrant "o" visa, do your research and type up notes on your laptop, no one will ever be the wiser. Publish your book overseas and keep all funds out of thailand, and you can't go wrong. Of course, I'm not advising this course of action, just showing how easy it is to circumvent red tape.

A multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa enables stays of up to 90 days on each entry. What State of Australia are you in ?