Manchester United

redrus

I'd be more gutted if I had expected Tevez to stay at West Ham. But I don't deny that it's going to hurt seeing him play in the Premiership for any other team.

But am I the only one who can foresee possible problems ahead ? Given that Tevez and Rooney are such similar players, then on the surface it looks an almost perfect roatation system. But...if that's right, given Roonies temperament and overwhelming desire to play, will it cause problems and a certain amount of unrest? Could be.

I'd be more gutted if I had expected Tevez to stay at West Ham. But I don't deny that it's going to hurt seeing him play in the Premiership for any other team.

But am I the only one who can foresee possible problems ahead ? Given that Tevez and Rooney are such similar players, then on the surface it looks an almost perfect roatation system. But...if that's right, given Roonies temperament and overwhelming desire to play, will it cause problems and a certain amount of unrest? Could be.

I agree with you HH

They are both very similar players, both like to play in the hole :D as they say. Can not see either of them settling for the rotation system. Where are UTD getting all their money from if 30m is the price quoted....that brings their spending to nearly 65m on 4 players depending on which paper you read, on top of that they are supposed to be 600m in debt :o

My money would be on Mikey Owen going there....would be a good buy.

Whatever happens it will be an exciting season.

Ace

I've got to agree with you about their similarities, I think it could be a problem. Maybe Ferguson wants to use pace, movement and players interchanging rather than having a traditional target man up front. Once they decided to get rid of VanNistleroy it was almost impossible to find somebody as good to play that role but 20 goals apiece from Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez would be a good start, and the football would be good to watch. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Where are UTD getting all their money from if 30m is the price quoted....that brings their spending to nearly 65m on 4 players depending on which paper you read, on top of that they are supposed to be 600m in debt :o

Whatever happens it will be an exciting season.

Ace

I think the money for Hargreaves was carried over from last year because they had hoped to sign him then, and Tevez will probably be a loan deal to start with so I think this years transfer kitty has just gone on Nani and Andersson. They've probably got to offload fringe players to balance the wage bill though.

My money would be on Mikey Owen going there....would be a good buy.

Ace

One player we don't want is Michael Owen. We need a player who can score 20+ goals a season. He has never ever scored 20 premier league goals in a season, not even during his best years at Liverpool. His move to Real Madrid was a total disaster and he's been injured for practicaly all his time at Newcastle so he's hardly played at all for over two years. To expect him to do better than his best years at Liverpool after what he's been though in the last two years would be living in dreamworld.

I don't know about Tevez boys. He's good and all, but like someone mentioned. He's of a similar mold as Rooney. I don't know how this will work with 2 supporting strikers. Won't they be stepping on each other's toes? I'm surprised Fergie is not going after an RVN-esques striker.

Mickey going to Utd would ultimately mean he's severed all ties with Liverpool.

I believe truly in my heart that he will not do such things.

With Berbatov, I can understand but Tevez?

You can't deny it nev, however you want to wrap it up. You are just as guilty of trying to buy the title, as United fans have accused Chelsea of doing. :D

Personally, i hope one day we will have enough money to be accused of the very "crime" :D

mr bo,we need to buy mate we are in decline :o seriously hargreaves from last seasons budget, two young up and comming players,and tevez will come on a loan.

we have 3 players who maybe this will be there last season at united,we are trying to off load smith and richardson.

think fergie realized after the ac milan game we need to strengthen to have a chance in the champions league.

i do hope city one day can get back to there former glory years,,sorry can you remind me when that was :D

we are trying to off load smith and richardson.

I'd certainly have Richardson at City. Wouldn't have Smith though.

i do hope city one day can get back to there former glory years,,sorry can you remind me when that was :D

I don't think we have ever really had something you could call "Glory YEARS" maybe refine that to "Glory DAYS" :o

we are trying to off load smith and richardson.

I'd certainly have Richardson at City. Wouldn't have Smith though.

I don't think we have ever really had something you could call "Glory YEARS" maybe refine that to "Glory DAYS" :o

:D:D i will pay that mr bo,,you aint bad for a blue :D

The biscuit ain't dunked yet lads :o

The following is an official statement from West Ham United Chairman Eggert Magnusson...

"Carlos Tevez is a registered West Ham United player, contracted to the Club until June 2010.

"There is no agreement with West Ham United for Carlos Tevez to leave the Club and we expect him to return in time for next season's preparations.

"No decision on his future can be reached without the agreement of West Ham United."

This one could end up as the mother of all court battles.

Tevez's United transfer descends into chaos

Jeremy Wilson

Saturday July 7, 2007

The Guardian

West Ham United appear set for a legal battle with Carlos Tevez's handlers after wildly conflicting accounts about the forward's future last night. The Argentina international's representatives announced they had agreed personal terms with Manchester United, minutes after West Ham said they expected the player to return to Upton Park for pre-season training.

West Ham's chairman, Eggert Magnusson, claimed that the 23-year-old is contracted to his club for three more years. "Carlos Tevez is a registered West Ham United player, contracted to the club until June 2010," he said. "There is no agreement with West Ham for Carlos Tevez to leave the club and we expect him to return in time for next season's preparations. No decision on his future can be reached without the agreement of West Ham."

Magnusson's comments were swiftly contested by Kia Joorabchian, who brokered the deal that brought Tevez to England. His lawyers said that the player had spoken to other clubs with "the knowledge and permission" of West Ham. It is understood that Joorabchian has a letter in support of his claims.

"Personal terms have now been agreed with Manchester United football club," a statement said. "Carlos Tevez's representatives will work during the course of next week so that a move to Manchester United can be finalised as quickly as possible."

A Manchester United spokesman said: "Carlos Tevez was given permission to speak to us and do a deal." They want to sign him on a two-year loan for £6m, with the option of a full transfer, and lawyers working on their behalf met Premier League officials yesterday.

However, a legal battle looks likely before the future of Tevez, who is in Venezuela at the Copa América, is clarified. Magnusson's statement appears to have come amid pressure from the Premier League, which has demanded that any Tevez deal be done on a club-to-club basis, not through the player's handlers, Media Sports Investments and Just Sports Inc.

In April West Ham tore up their third-party agreement with MSI and JSI after being fined £5.5m by a Premier League independent disciplinary commission for illegally registering Tevez last August. The league believes that means he belongs solely to West Ham and that the club must receive a fair market fee for him but the Joorabchian camp do not accept that Tevez now has a contract with West Ham.

They did not consent to cancelling the agreement and do not see why West Ham should profit from any transfer. It is understood they brought Tevez to Upton Park on a one-year loan with the option of a further three-year contract which the club have not taken up. A source close to the talks said: "It is like getting into someone's car, tearing up the log book and then claiming that you own that car."

Mourinho turns up heat on Man Utd

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists Manchester United will be under pressure to succeed this season after a big-spending summer.

Mourinho has been cautious, while United have spent around £50m.

He said: "Manchester United's spending is something that we don't control, we don't want to control - we don't comment, we don't want to comment.

"But when we spent some millions, everybody pointed at us as the team with more responsibility to win."

He added: "This was because we were the spenders in the market.

"That's not the case this season. The only player we've bought was Florent Malouda. We are very happy with that."

United, who have had to stand back and watch Blues owner Roman Abramovich splash his millions since his arrival in England in 2003, have spent lavishly on the likes of Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson, with Carlos Tevez set to follow.

But rather than cast an envious eye towards Old Trafford, Blues boss Mourinho insists he is delighted to allow the "responsibility" for success to rest on the shoulders of United counterpart Ferguson.

He said: "Every club does its own analysis of the market and their needs."

Mourinho turns up heat on Man Utd

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists Manchester United will be under pressure to succeed this season after a big-spending summer.

Mourinho has been cautious, while United have spent around £50m.

He said: "Manchester United's spending is something that we don't control, we don't want to control - we don't comment, we don't want to comment.

"But when we spent some millions, everybody pointed at us as the team with more responsibility to win."

He added: "This was because we were the spenders in the market.

"That's not the case this season. The only player we've bought was Florent Malouda. We are very happy with that."

United, who have had to stand back and watch Blues owner Roman Abramovich splash his millions since his arrival in England in 2003, have spent lavishly on the likes of Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson, with Carlos Tevez set to follow.

But rather than cast an envious eye towards Old Trafford, Blues boss Mourinho insists he is delighted to allow the "responsibility" for success to rest on the shoulders of United counterpart Ferguson.

He said: "Every club does its own analysis of the market and their needs."

Another classic quote from Moronio "We don't comment, we don't wan to comment." And then he goes on to say......

Ah well, just looking forward to the season starting again now and Utd shoving it up Chelsea again this year.

Tevez's United transfer descends into chaos

Jeremy Wilson

Saturday July 7, 2007

The Guardian

West Ham United appear set for a legal battle with Carlos Tevez's handlers after wildly conflicting accounts about the forward's future last night. The Argentina international's representatives announced they had agreed personal terms with Manchester United, minutes after West Ham said they expected the player to return to Upton Park for pre-season training.

When the 2 argies joined us, he said they were signed on a permanent deal for 4 years - not a loan. The other day on TV, he said Tevez was only on loan and that as the season was over, the loan had ended and he was free to join another club. Considering WestHam registered him for 4 years with his consent, he must be lying now and Man Utd are falling for it.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that Joorabchian is a scheming liar and that all clubs should give him a wide berth..

Glad to see my threads been looked after in my absence.

All good natured banter I hope in the weeks/months gone by. N ot got time to read through the lot of pages but, I will.

United.....!!!!!

redrus

• 2 weeks later...

APRES LUI, LE DELUGE

This'll make you feel old: just passed was the the TENTH anniversary of Eric Cantona's departure from Old Trafford.

"More than any history or philosophy, football teaches me to be European. Born in Nice in 1952, I found myself 40 years later in Manchester, mingled in the crowd at Old Trafford. Even before his achievements in Manchester, I had recognised in Eric Cantona many of the values and qualities I admire.

"When he first started playing for Manchester, I used to wait at the entrance to the Theatre of Dreams. There were 4 or 5 of us. Six years later I could no longer even glimpse the King due to the human barrier blocking my view. Between Platini and Zidane, he was our Number One. No World or European Cup was needed to prove to his talent.

"The day after the match against Southampton, 20th February 1993, he met me at the Novotel in Manchester, a stone's throw from a roundabout and under a flyover. I had never been so thrilled about a meeting, except with my wife. I was as nervous as a young boy making his first communion. In real life was he like the player, a mixture of elegance, confidence, improvisation and force?

"At the appointed time, he was waiting for me under a Van Gogh print, carrying peanuts and water, lots of water. His graciousness struck me immediately, a far cry from the clichéd bad boy image maintained by the press who exaggerated his troubles to create an almost fictional character. His view, 'If I played water polo, nobody would be interested in me' and 'Journalists think I am crazy because my dad was a psychiatric nurse. (Laughs) In fact, I owe them a lot as they ask me questions I would never ask myself.' Then, suddenly 'What is important is on the pitch' He worries about Maradona. 'What will he become without football?' He is almost like a father concerned about his son.

"Around us, customers ask for autographs on the back of cheques, cigarette packets, and the edge of a newspaper or even a flyer. They approach him shyly with a pen. Each one thanks him for signing for Manchester. The Mancunians are hoping for the league title. They will not be disappointed.

"With his athletic figure, his finesse and technique, Cantona ought to revolutionise British football. Such was my prophecy. His response, "Do you think so?" I did not leave my wife and children to get on a plane and shatter his dreams. I want to witness first hand one of the great sporting stories of my time, to anticipate the marvels, to be the bird of good omens, haunted by the ghosts of Marcel Cerdan* and Fausto Coppi*, my earthly gods. Too young to witness their journey, I was the right age to follow that of the man from Marseille.

"This subtle bond, born in the Novotel, would never break. It would only strengthen as Cantona climbed to the top at Manchester. From France, I could see tiny advances, and sometimes giant leaps. At other times there were glitches. But Cantona brought the club out of its lethargy. His coach, Alex Ferguson, had found his trump card. You might have said Jean Vilar* directing Gerard Philipe*.

"In the role of 'Mystic Meg', I had seen correctly. Eric Cantona became champion of England, right under my eyes. This coronation erased the nightmare of France-Germany in 1982 in Seville. Brought up on Italian football by my father and grandfather, I was invigorated by the British version, happier than a born and bred Red. The beauty of English football excited me more than the careful and unattractive game across the Alps.

"Each season I came to see him many times of my own accord, outside of work. On the pitch, he was as huge and as fragile as a piano. Twenty tonnes of tension are contained in this musical instrument, a mixture of steel stings and wood which work according to the beat. The stadium was captivated by his every move. With one touch of the ball, he could change the game, overwhelming 40,000 spectators with pleasure. His vision was noticeable to all those fans of the art of football. I wanted to stop the clock on the scoreboard ticking by.

"'Enjoy the match?' Steve Bruce asked me at the door to the dressing room, the inside of this small room looked like the over peopled cabin of the Marx Brothers. Yes, I had enjoyed the game. After making his debut for the first team, David Beckham, accompanied by his mum, was good as gold. Shy, retiring, unassuming. After training, with his young friends Scholes and Butt, he polished the boots of Mark Hughes, Cantona and other senior players.

"During his last season, Eric Cantona still dominated, but in a different way. Less obvious to novices, he often played off the ball. Stylish but effective, the number 7 split open the opposing defence to leave the way free for his attacking partners. Suddenly the British press decided he was having a lesser effect than in previous seasons. A gross misconception. The public still reserved a hero's welcome for him on each appearance.

"Thinking he had nothing more to prove in professional football, he left his job of virtuoso of the pitch. His performances paved the way into English football for other French players and coaches. Before him, modern football was not interested in the Tricolour. As Alex Ferguson said, on the evening of Cantona's return for a game which raised money for the families of the victims of 1958, 'When Eric was playing, I waited for him to win the game for us; without him, I wait for luck to do it.'"

*Marcel Cerdan - b. 1916. Algerian-born French world boxing champion, considered by many to have been Europe's greatest ever fighter, he died in a plane crash in 1949 and was succeeded as champion by Jake LaMotta

*Fausto Coppi - b. 1919. Legendary Italian cyclist, nicknamed the champion of champions. He succumbed to malaria in 1960

*Jean Vilar - legendary figure in French theatre, he founded the Festival of Avignon

*Gerard Philipe - great actor, he died from cancer aged 37

Bernard went on to become acknowledged as the French media's leading Cantona expert and eventually wrote an exquisite book about us all, 'Manchester Memories', in which appears the following extracts:

"5.55 pm, 28th April 1996. After beating Nottingham Forest, United are virtually Champions of England. In the maze of Old Trafford corridors, Madame Leonor Cantona passes in front of Alex Ferguson's office, at the precise moment the manager was coming out. They size each other up in a couple of glances: a double-take, as one would describe it in the dramatic arts. She recognising in him someone who considered Eric for his true worth; he thanking her for having brought into the world his 'bringer of happiness'. The pair embrace without the need for anyone to have introduced them. The manager had straight away recognised the family resemblance. They have so many things to say to each other that they will actually manage to say nothing.

"We all met up at the Four Seasons, usually United's pre-awayday meeting place. We bump into Bryan Robson there. Having returned to breathe in a blast from the past on the terrain of his greatest exploits, the current Boro boss asks Eric: 'So, the French national team, you're not getting back into it: why?' The current Number 7 shrugs his shoulders. The meaning is understood: 'They no longer select me? Well, then, there's nothing left to add.' Robson was preparing to play United on the last day of the season. 'Tell me Eric, how much would you give me to let you lot win?! Nah, we're gonna put four past you…' May 5th - and that was almost the score, though the other way around: United won 3-0. Eric had regained the title of a Champion of England.

"A few days later, Eric drove me to a bookshop in the centre of town: Waterstones in Deansgate. We rummage around the shelves. looking for Andre Breton's 'Nadja'. Eric bought 'Rue Traversiere And Other Dream Stories' before stretching out down on the floor to leaf through Ezra Pound's 'Drafts and Fragments'. Before we leave, he signs several copies of his biography for customers. We cross over to the quarter where Verlaine stopped off in 1894 ("All I saw of Manchester was a corner of Salford…and kept the most beautiful memories…") Some friends from Bordeaux had brought over a good domaine wine which we went to taste at the Forte Posthouse near the airport. The hotel boss came over to our reserved area: 'A gentleman outside is asking if, at some point tonight, you wouldn't mind posing for a photo with his son, who's celebrating his 16th birthday.' Eric looked at me, then replied: 'We can't make him wait for three hours; please, invite him to come in and see us.' The man and his boy enter. The Number 7 poses for immortality: a second for him, eternity for them. Meanwhile, outside, vandals have smashed the windows of his car. Without saying a word, Eric brushes away all the debris from the seats and simply says 'please, get in.' And then when we get home, he finds Isabelle cursing the latest gossipy tales of a newspaper… 'Leave it,' says the husband. 'If I was a water polo player, do you think anybody would talk about me?'"

"11th May 1996. Cup Final Day. My wife went with me to London where Isabelle was waiting for us at the Royal Lancaster Hotel. 'It's important that you should be at Wembley,' said Isabelle as she handed me the white ticket envelope marked with Eric's black script: I had never, in person, seen Eric lose. We all had a feeling as though we were getting together for a communion.

"Five minutes to go. A corner rebounds. Lying in wait, Eric pulls back a notch on his supporting leg and fires. His straight shot forces its way through the intertwinings of legs and bodies, feet and heads, fears and hopes - and ends up in the enemy's net.

"In the madding crowd of victory, Ferguson heads towards Eric, arms open; he wants to embrace Eric as though he were Charles Lindbergh upon his descent from the 'Spirit Of St. Louis'. The Frenchman suggests to Steve Bruce, the usual captain, that he should go to collect the trophy but the team's absentee refuses to appropriate the honour. Climbing the staircase, the new captain wipes off the spit from the Liverpool supporters without turning a hair. Eric presents the cup to the stadium and embraces the scintillating reward which returns his own reflection to him. Isabelle is crying in the arms of her brother Bernard Ferrer. Her husband has reached the zenith."

"April 1997. United lose to Dortmund. The bad-mouthers are jubilant: 'Eric missed two goals'. Can he possibly succeed 100% of the time? Must he score or make a goal every appearance? Eric tells me: 'it's one or the other, but not one and the other. And everyone forgets my successful final passes if they aren't turned into goals… People don't know what it is to go home with the feeling of having played badly. The nights after a defeat, I throw up.' Eric still has 11 goals in 1996/97, second behind Solskjaer. The Number 7 predicts a great future for the Norwegian but he still deplores the absence of two big signings, one up front and one in defence. Every close-season, the directors dangle in front of him the names of possible arrivals: da Souza, Romario, Salas, Zidane, Batistuta, Kluivert. But the manager cannot force the decision of the chairman. The richest club in the world doesn't want to pay the big salaries…"

"15.51, 18th May 1997. 'Tout est fini.'"

"26th July 1997. My wife, children and I are in the Haute-Alpes with the Cantonas. Eric tells me: 'Since the testimonial at Lille on May the 25th, I haven't touched a football once.' But still, we start to knock it around a bit. He showed me a 'Careca'. 'I know this one thanks to Laurent [blanc]. You make the ball slide down from your tibia to your foot, then once the ball is flicked into the air, you turn around, then keep the juggling going…' As the day ends, we'll play boules together, me and Eric making a team. And father Albert says: 'you know, he ought to have played on for another four years….'

My family spends the night at their family house, in the trophy room. I daren't touch the Player Of The Year trophy. I spy two or three medals in their cases. And there are three photos of Eric at Old Trafford. Memories. Such memories. I would wish this for my epitaph: 'Here lies a man who saw Eric Cantona play.'"

From "Manchester Memories" (2000) by Bernard Morlino, Le Castor Astral.

redrus

Edited by redrus

United Can Buy Back Rossi

redissue

Thursday 2nd August 2007

First refusal if he moves on again.

Ferguson has revealed United have first refusal on Giuseppe Rossi if Villarreal want to sell him in the future. Apparently Ferguson tried his best to get Rossi to stay at the club but the player wanted first team football.

"We have put a clause in the contract, so maybe he will come back to us at some stage," Ferguson told Pravda TV.

"We wish Giuseppe well and we know he will do well at Villarreal.

"It was a difficult decision to let him leave. I had several meetings with him to try and convince him that he would get plenty of football with us this season and all he needed was a bit of patience.

"But, having been on loan last season, he wanted first-team football all the time."

Gutted.............. :o

redrus

United upstaged in summer kick about.

The Guardian

With Carlos Tevez expected to be the fourth and final Manchester United signing of the summer, the Premiership champions are entitled to feel bullish about their prospects of retaining the title this season, yet this performance served as a reminder that it is in defence, and not going forward, where Sir Alex Ferguson's side can be exposed. A pre-season friendly watched by a record-breaking crowd saw Internazionale breach United's rearguard with alarming ease.

Three times Roberto Mancini's side scored in a first half when United struggled to contain the Serie A champions' slick counter-attacking. With John O'Shea in central midfield, Wes Brown featuring at right-back and Chris Eagles deployed on the right, this was far from United's strongest side. None the less, Ferguson was clearly surprised and disappointed to see United concede so sloppily against an Internazionale side who suffered a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal last Sunday. "Our defending in the first half was very poor," said Ferguson. "You will not win games, it doesn't matter who you are against, if you defend like that. In the first half they [the United players] were so open. We were all over the place when we lost the ball."

There was improvement after the interval, with Adriano heading into his own net to reduce United's arrears, prompting Ferguson to declare himself "happy with the work-out" 10 days before their first Premier League game.

Before then United have friendlies against Doncaster tomorrow night and Peterborough on Saturday, during which Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson - acquired at a combined cost of £50m - are all likely to feature. None of that trio took part last night, denying the 73,738 packed inside Old Trafford a chance to see the new arrivals. Indeed, Ferguson indicated that he is likely to field a similar side to the one that took on Internazionale for Sunday's Community Shield.

He had welcomed this match because of the competitive edge it would provide, admitting afterwards that it had presented United's first major pre-season test after the tour of Asia last month. The manager has clearly emerged from the Far East in ebullient mood. The coming months will provide a more reliable test than 90 minutes against an Inter team who took full advantage of United's soft underbelly. With Paul Scholes and Hargreaves both watching from the sidelines United's midfield, featuring Michael Carrick and O'Shea at the hub, was overrun. Inter proved ruthless opponents, recovering from Wayne Rooney's 18th-minute low drive to strike three times in 14 minutes.

David Suazo, the Honduran forward signed for £6m from Cagliari, scored twice. The striker's first was a gift after a mix-up between Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic, and his second owed much to Marco Materazzi picking Cristiano Ronaldo's pocket. Zlatan Ibrahimovic linked with the enterprising Luis Figo before Suazo slotted past Edwin van der Sar. In between Ibrahimovic finished off another sweeping move which again left United floundering.

The Torygraph

It carried none of the swagger of last season's 7-1 demolition of Roma or the frantic breathlessness of the 3-2 win over AC Milan that was not enough to carry Manchester United to a European Cup final, but there was something compelling about another Italian night at Old Trafford.

This was another vastly entertaining evening overflowing with flair but also enough defensive errors to concern Sir Alex Ferguson as the Premiership's phoney war nears its end. A friendly it may have been, but Inter Milan asked rather more questions than Guangzhou Pharmaceutical and the rest of United's opponents in their Far Eastern tour put together.

The principal offenders were Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra, two of the most influential figures of last season's championship-winning side - although another defender, Rio Ferdinand, might have equalised had he not blazed into the stands from a few yards out.

Nevertheless, having opened a season at Old Trafford for the first time in four years with the Premiership trophy that was displayed alongside the considerably less brash and more elegant Serie A version, this was a relaxed summer evening in Manchester.

Once Wayne Rooney had opened the scoring, from a delightful dummy from Ryan Giggs, the decisive figure was a rather older Portuguese icon, who was winning world youth championships under Carlos Queiroz when Ronaldo was a toddler.

The Indispondant

Two highly-appropriate opponents will contest the first Community Shield at the new Wembley for, as with the venue itself, neither Manchester United or Chelsea are on schedule for their opening ceremony.

A flawless start was imperative to Sir Alex Ferguson in his efforts to prise the Premiership from Stamford Bridge last season and it should comfort Jose Mourinho to know he will not be alone in struggling to play his strongest hand this Sunday. While the Chelsea manager wrestles with an indecently early injury crisis, his United counterpart will struggle to fill the luxury substitutes' bench of the redeveloped national stadium on the evidence of last night's friendly defeat by Internazionale.

While the United team-sheet named just five players in reserve - all unused as Ferguson gave Sunday's intended line-up a full 90 minutes - the Old Trafford stands contained over £50m of summer acquisitions as Anderson, Nani and Owen Hargreaves nursed Copa American tiredness and respective injuries alongside the sidelined Paul Scholes. Doncaster and Peterborough, not the closest challengers to United's crown next season, await for the rested trio this weekend. Meanwhile, Carlos Tevez awaits the outcome of a High Court hearing on 22 August before discovering whether his acrimonious release from West Ham will lead to the English champions. Rarely has the traditional curtain-raiser appeared so premature.

There was a hug from Ferguson for opposite number Roberto Mancini following a defeat that exceeded the entertainment value for such fixtures and confirmed much of what we already knew of United - exhilarating on the break, but with an aversion to defending against prime Italian opposition.

Inter rekindled memories of their great city rival's Champions League semi-final performance against United last season in a first-half display that brought three goals. "Our defending was very poor in the first half and you'll not win any game, it doesn't matter who you are up against, if you defend like that," admitted the United manager.

redrus

With Carlos Tevez expected to be the fourth and final Manchester United signing of the summer,

Great player, but your lot will end up rueing the day you did business with Kia Joorabchian.

Maybe, but a little less than you if he gets his way..... :o

redrus

Tevez Deal Close

Friday 3rd August 2007

West Ham have agreed to release him

From the Times:

'The most protracted and complex transfer saga in English football history ended last night with Carlos Tévez on the verge of joining Manchester United. The player's agents agreed to pay West Ham United £2 million to end the dispute in exchange for the club releasing the registration of the Argentina forward, a compromise that the Premier League is aware of and is expected to ratify today.

'Kia Joorabchian, who fronts Media Sports Investments (MSI) and Just Sports Inc (JSI), the companies that own the economic rights to the player, will withdraw the writ issued against West Ham last week in an attempt to force the club to release Tévez. The move will avoid potentially embarrassing disclosures during a High Court case, which had been set for August 22. MSI and JSI have paid a higher fee than the £100,000 stipulated in the contract to ensure that the player is ready for the start of the season. West Ham had wanted £5 million.

'Tévez has agreed to move to United for an initial loan of two seasons, with a fee of £10 million payable to MSI and JSI and the option of buying him permanently for a further £20 million. He will earn in excess of £3.5 million a season and is expected to make his debut against Reading at Old Trafford on Sunday week.'

redrus

Edited by redrus

Fergie - Owen Is Worth The Wait

redrissue

Friday 3rd August 2007

He will have big impact

Sir Alex Ferguson, "Some players are worth waiting for - and Owen is one. He was England's best player at the last World Cup. He brings a quick energy to the centre of midfield and the European experience he has had with Bayern Munich is priceless. I won't saddle him with comparisons to Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Eric Cantona because each player is different.

Article continues below

"But what I can say is that like those eminent predecessors, he will bring stature to his position and give me any number of options in terms of the role he will play."

Gary Neville joined in the praise, You will have to go a long way to find someone who is quicker at getting to the ball. He won't lose concentration during a match and he works very hard for the team. If you give Owen a job, he will do it. He is also a great free-kick taker, which is something I don't think should be underestimated. It's something we will see a lot of for United this season."

redrus

bring on the season should be a cracker,a lot of teams have bought and strengthened there suauds very well,will not be a two team race this year.

if our new signings seettle in well we will be champions again.

i fly back to thailand today for another 7 weeks i cannot wait,i will be travelling while the charity shield is on and will watch the reply the next day.

cheers nev.

Independent research says otherwise..:

With Manchester United’s recent summer buying, many non-United fans and pundits alike have come out saying that United are now the same as Chelsea in the transfer market - that United are attempting to “buy” success and that they are spending uncontrollably; much like Chelsea did.

If you take a look at the Chelsea era pre-Abramovich compared to now, there is a revealing stat: Chelsea never spent as much, or even close to as much, as they are spending now. Since the Russian took control in the summer of 03, Chelsea have spent around ₤325m on transfers - that averages ₤81m peseason over the 4 years ( 07 transfers not included). Over the same period they have received only ₤49.4m for players sold which means their net transfer expenditure is 275.6m (average of around ₤70m).

Manchester United, on the other hand, have spent ₤36m over the 2 seasons since the Glazers took over but more importantly, they have sold players to the value of ₤21.5m (again, not inclusive of 07 summer). This season, thus far, they have purchased Hargreaves (₤16m), Nani (₤14m), Anderson (₤18m), and Kuszczak (₤4m). The fees for Nani and Anderson, much like that for Carrick, are not paid up front, but have clauses and sub-clauses attached but for simplicity, lets take the entirety of the fee. Thus far, that equates to ₤52m for the summer and with rumours of Tevez moving for around ₤20m, it is easy to see why people believe they are following in Chelsea’s footsteps.

But, there is a massive difference. Unlike Chelsea, who had never spent that sort of money pre-Abramovich, Utd have always been able to spend and spend big. Driven by success on and off the field, United bought van Nistelrooy (₤19m), Veron (₤28m), Ferdinand (₤30m) and Rooney (₤27m) all for big money and all before the Glazers took over. Chelsea, on the other hand, bought no one for “mega bucks” before 03. Such has been Chelsea’s spending lately that it actually drove the club into all-time record losses.

Since the new owners took control it’s clear that the transfer kitty is dictated by how the club performs on the field. Performing well means that there is higher prize money and hence, a greater amount can be re-invested in the club. If you look at a couple of seasons ago, United finished 3rd in the league, performed miserably in Europe, the overall result; less money available for transfers. This season was completely different. As league champions (₤20m), reaching the semi finals of the CL (₤21m) the FA Cup final (₤7.5m). Thats close to ₤50m already in prize money. Add the ₤6m still owed in compensation for Mikel, ₤6m for Smith (who is likely to leave) and possibly another ₤5-6m for Richardson, Silvestre and perhaps other peripheral players, you can see exactly where the money for their transfers has come from.

Unlike Chelsea, Manchester United's transfer funds are self generated and not contributed by their owners. As for the future, if Manchester United enjoy further on-field success, expect more big money transfers. League winners of the 07-08 season are expected to receive ₤50m in prize money - a record - and when you add potential prize money from Europe and other cups, you can see exactly why they decided to spend their entire transfer kitty this summer: to drive the club forward in search of continued success.

Leeds In Big Trouble

Friday 3rd August 2007

Ha ha baa baa

From the Grauniad:

'Ken Bates's hopes of securing the Football League share for his new company Leeds United 2007 appeared more distant yesterday after the league and HM Revenue and Customs declared their opposition to his most recent takeover of the club.

'Customs & Revenue had already challenged through the high court the result of a previous sales process arranged by the administrator, KPMG, that saw the consortium led by the former Chelsea chairman win control of Leeds.

'That was a company voluntary agreement (CVA) in which Bates's company proposed to pay 8p in the pound to all creditors. KPMG responded by organising a second bidding process that Bates again won, with an offer that amounted to 52.9p in the pound to creditors.

'The key to winning the bid was that Astor Investment Holdings, a company that insisted it had no existing formal connections to Bates, withdrew its claim for £17.6m owed to it by Leeds. The administrator had been satisfied by Astor's solicitor, Mark Taylor - himself a director of Leeds United 2007 - that no connections existed.

'However, Customs & Revenue yesterday said it was not satisfied by the sales process. "We are not prepared to enter into any arrangement that lacks complete transparency about the identity of creditors and the terms of any deal being reached," said Dave Hartnett, a director-general of business at the revenue.

'The Football League has meanwhile been working to persuade the administrator and Leeds United to reinstate the CVA process.

'Meetings have been taking place this week involving the chairman of the Football League, Lord Mawhinney, Leeds and senior officials from KPMG.

'Mawhinney claimed yesterday that his demand to reinstate the CVA had been approved by the two other parties to the negotiations. "We have got to resolve it soon because the season starts in nine days' time," he said.

'But the league will not hand over the share to Bates's company - which would provide it with the players' registrations - without the approved CVA.

'"One of the issues [the parties have] been wrestling with is that the administrators have sold to [bates's] Leeds United 2007 certain assets and liabilities, including Elland Road and the players' contracts," said Mawhinney.

"The players' registration remains with the old club, which is in administration. The registrations are a relationship between us and the club.'

redrus

Good to know you're back and well Red.. and Nev too, doubtless he's slipping comfortably into 7 weeks in LOS... :o

I wasn't going to post a Charity Shield report.. but Henry Winter had this to say, and considering, on another thread, a gentleman suggested Giggs was "past it" I thought I would......

Ryan Giggs an ageless inspiration for United

Chelsea 1(1) Manchester United 1 (1) (United win 3-0 on penalties)

Football, the sport that never sleeps, hardly seems to have had a lie-down this summer, and events here yesterday maintained familiar themes from last season. All the talk was of Chelsea's injury travails, Jose Mourinho's quixotic streak, Manchester United's rich attacking potential, and the enduring excellence of Ryan Giggs, who continues to give Old Father Time the runaround.

Giggs' manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, keeps expanding United's creative department as if fearful of some flair famine stalking the land. Such an intelligent frontrunner as Carlos Tevez, who makes his debut on Wednesday, will doubtless link instinctively and prolifically with Wayne Rooney while Nani showed glimpses of his gifts against Chelsea. Like Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani can operate on either flank. Paul Scholes returns from injury soon. Marvellous options abound. Ferguson can play fantasy football for real.

Yet there was Giggs, 33 years of age but with the enthusiasm of a teenager, gliding through to score a superb 35th-minute goal to shake a clammy Community Shield into life. Florent Malouda subsequently conjured up a terrific equaliser, and Edwin van der Sar proved unbeatable in the penalty shoot-out, but the main memory was of Giggs, of a class that never ages.

When Patrice Evra crossed from the left, and Rooney cleverly dragged blue shirts out of position, Giggs calmly stroked the ball from 15 yards into Petr Cech's goal. "Ryan placed it,'' said Ferguson, his eyes lighting up at the recollection. "Ryan could see Ashley Cole on the line with the keeper looking after the other side of the goal, so he placed it.''

If the goal was exceptional, it certainly produced an extraordinary statistic. It was so long ago that Giggs last scored at Wembley that he had a different name. Then known as Ryan Wilson and captain of England Schoolboys, this special player last found the mark at Wembley 18 years ago.

Rooney was three at the time, and sometimes does not have appear to have matured much. The England international disclosed the shortness of his fuse as well as the depth of his talent yesterday, and the fear is that his conduct will continue to vex officials. Yet his booking yesterday was unwarranted: Rooney accidentally caught Cech while chasing a loose ball and knocked off balance by Tal Ben Haim.

Chelsea fans, some sporting T-shirts declaring that the title was only "on loan to United'', were enraged, and loudly questioned everything from Rooney's weight to his parentage. United's No 10 responded by holding up a solitary finger to signal who were the No 1 team in the land.

The Community Shield is rarely a good form-guide, but few would question that United are favourites to claim the Premiership. For all his "mellow'' intent, Mourinho remains a one-man debating society and he sent eyebrows rising faster than the mercury with his comment that "Chelsea controlled the game for 90 minutes in quite an easy way''.

Nonsense. Ashley Cole, who again dealt well with Ronaldo, and the purposeful Malouda certainly impressed for Mourinho's side, but they were hamstrung by the absence of John Terry and Didier Drogba with knee problems. Drogba aims to be back within 10 days but Terry's anticipated month on the sidelines is desperate news.

Such a committed leader and shrewd defensive organiser would have engineered more resistance to United's goal. Ben Haim, otherwise all right, played Evra onside while Ricardo Carvalho clearly missed Terry. Such were Chelsea's injury woes (with Michael Ballack, Arjen Robben, Wayne Bridge, Andrei Shevchenko and Salomon Kalou also unavailable) that Mourinho was forced to field Joe Cole at centre-forward in a 4-3-3 and name two keepers among the subs to make up the numbers.

Also on the bench was Avram Grant, Chelsea's new director of football, and the chemistry between him and Mourinho will be much scrutinised this season. Mourinho is not the type to accept interference in his first-team domain, but those who know Grant insist that he is far too savvy and diplomatic to engage in power struggles. Maybe it was the heat yesterday but there appeared a thaw in Chelsea's Cold War with Roman Abramovich consoling Mourinho and the players in the dressing room afterwards.

Chelsea will play better than this, and Mourinho looks to have invested smartly in Malouda, who showed courage, speed and technique to cancel out Giggs' strike on the cusp of half-time. Ashley Cole, uneasy on his right foot, used the outside of his left to bend a fine ball into the path of Malouda and United were exposed. Rio Ferdinand was left trailing, Van der Sar's attempt to close Malouda down was half-hearted and Chelsea's £13 million signing clipped the ball expertly home.

Van der Sar made amends spectacularly in the shoot-out, saving from Claudio Pizarro, Frank Lampard and Shaun Wright-Phillips. Rio Ferdinand and Michael Carrick both calmly converted their kicks, leaving Rooney to apply the coup de grace, and then repeat his No 1 signal to the departing Chelsea fans. Rooney, Giggs et al are again the team to beat.

Independent research says otherwise..:

With Manchester United’s recent summer buying, many non-United fans and pundits alike have come out saying that United are now the same as Chelsea in the transfer market - that United are attempting to “buy” success and that they are spending uncontrollably; much like Chelsea did.

If you take a look at the Chelsea era pre-Abramovich compared to now, there is a revealing stat: Chelsea never spent as much, or even close to as much, as they are spending now. Since the Russian took control in the summer of 03, Chelsea have spent around ₤325m on transfers - that averages ₤81m peseason over the 4 years ( 07 transfers not included). Over the same period they have received only ₤49.4m for players sold which means their net transfer expenditure is 275.6m (average of around ₤70m).

Manchester United, on the other hand, have spent ₤36m over the 2 seasons since the Glazers took over but more importantly, they have sold players to the value of ₤21.5m (again, not inclusive of 07 summer). This season, thus far, they have purchased Hargreaves (₤16m), Nani (₤14m), Anderson (₤18m), and Kuszczak (₤4m). The fees for Nani and Anderson, much like that for Carrick, are not paid up front, but have clauses and sub-clauses attached but for simplicity, lets take the entirety of the fee. Thus far, that equates to ₤52m for the summer and with rumours of Tevez moving for around ₤20m, it is easy to see why people believe they are following in Chelsea’s footsteps.

But, there is a massive difference. Unlike Chelsea, who had never spent that sort of money pre-Abramovich, Utd have always been able to spend and spend big. Driven by success on and off the field, United bought van Nistelrooy (₤19m), Veron (₤28m), Ferdinand (₤30m) and Rooney (₤27m) all for big money and all before the Glazers took over. Chelsea, on the other hand, bought no one for “mega bucks” before 03. Such has been Chelsea’s spending lately that it actually drove the club into all-time record losses.

Since the new owners took control it’s clear that the transfer kitty is dictated by how the club performs on the field. Performing well means that there is higher prize money and hence, a greater amount can be re-invested in the club. If you look at a couple of seasons ago, United finished 3rd in the league, performed miserably in Europe, the overall result; less money available for transfers. This season was completely different. As league champions (₤20m), reaching the semi finals of the CL (₤21m) the FA Cup final (₤7.5m). Thats close to ₤50m already in prize money. Add the ₤6m still owed in compensation for Mikel, ₤6m for Smith (who is likely to leave) and possibly another ₤5-6m for Richardson, Silvestre and perhaps other peripheral players, you can see exactly where the money for their transfers has come from.

Unlike Chelsea, Manchester United's transfer funds are self generated and not contributed by their owners. As for the future, if Manchester United enjoy further on-field success, expect more big money transfers. League winners of the 07-08 season are expected to receive ₤50m in prize money - a record - and when you add potential prize money from Europe and other cups, you can see exactly why they decided to spend their entire transfer kitty this summer: to drive the club forward in search of continued success.

thanks for posting that muckey,as soon as we spend the muppets come out with us buying the league when we are far from buying the league.

role on sunday cannot wait for the season to start.

Will Saha Ever Return?

Thursday 9th August

Read his diary to find out...

The following exclusive extracts from Louis Saha's diary appeared in RI 193 back in May.

The Diary Of Louis Saha (Malingerer-In-Chief)

Monday:

Got up early ready to go to training but suffered terrible paper cut while opening junk mail from BUPA. Lost seven pints of blood, rushed to hospital where I contracted MRSI, then cracked pelvis falling out of bed while reaching for grapes Alan Smith had brought in. (Looking at his lips, I suspect he'd already eaten some of them.)

Tuesday:

Got up early ready to go to training but bit into free plastic model of Wife Swap's Lizzie Bardsley hidden in Coco Pops and dislocated jaw. Tried to dial ambulance but snapped flexor digitorum profundus of index finger due to particularly stiff number 9 button. Tripped getting off bus and fell into concrete mixer which was then hit by falling piano ... all in all, today was a good day.

Wednesday:

Contracted Leprosy after buying a Big Issue and then three different sexually transmitted diseases after sitting on a toilet seat at Carrington. Following an Acute Myocardial Infarction brought about by Wayne popping a bag of crisps I trip up and manage to wedge my mouth round Kieran Richardson's twin exhaust while he was revving up. I'm now back in hospital, for a Heart and Lung transplant.

Thursday:

After a series of mix ups in the Operating Theatre, I'm conjoined to a Siamese Twin seeking a reversal of a previous operation followed by a sex change. Fergie says I should be fit for Saturday though.

Friday:

Drove through Chorlton. Was savaged by dead cow. Am now doubtful for Saturday.

Saturday:

Told the boss I wasn't ready to play against Boro tonight. He called me a "######in' headcase" and punched me in the face and broke my jaw.

Sunday:

I head to church to seek some guidance from the Lord and redemption from these terrible afflictions but dislocate my hip whilst genuflecting. As the pastor rumbles down the aisle to see if I'm okay, the vibrations of the choir singing "Abide With Me" fractures my skull as I lay on the ground. The Last Rites were issued, including communion, but the severed my tongue and I pass out again due to blood loss. I'm consoled by the knowledge that God works in mysterious ways and I get paid on Tuesday regardless.

Monday:

Watch Henrik Larsson video in hospital and stab voodoo doll. Missus says I should get over it. I go to slap her but pull hamstring and dislocate wrist.

Tuesday:

Went to Zizzi's on the Strand. Was tucking into my Quattro Stagioni but ended up severing my own penis. The doctor said it couldn't be reattached.

Wednesday:

While stabbing Henrik Larrson voodoo doll again I inadvertently sever a radial artery. Slip on the blood while staggering out to ambulance now permanently stationed outside front door and stagger into kitchen cabinet. Bottle of mayonnaise falls out and breaks left metatarsal. Now what are the chances of that happening, eh?

Thursday:

Good day today, no new accidents to report. But apparently I am in a coma as I have lost 28 gallons of blood in the past week. If I awake I may be fit for Sunday (game, not church again).

Friday:

Still in coma. My name is Sam Tyler, I was a Premiership footballer playing for one of the greatest clubs in the land but somehow I've ended up back in the early Seventies battling relegation. The Boss has picked me to play against a Leeds team that contains Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner and Jack Charlton. Am feeling very confident I will sail through this one.

Saturday:

I make the mistake of hitting (quite literally) the toilets the same time as big Norm, little Billy and Mad Jack. As they wrestled on the piss covered floor (naked - their very own unique warm up), I slipped on my steel studs as I tried to stop myself entering the room. My grabbing of the door frame saw me somersault onto the tiles under a flying Charlton who was in the process of belly flopping Hunter and Bremner from the top of the armitage shanks 6 inch urinal. The resulting pile up saw me break my back. I'm out for a week.

Sunday:

Am ghttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_images/ip.boardpr1183049877/folder_editor_images/rte-bold.png

Boldoing towards the light. Didn't reach the light. Fell down a disused mineshaft. As I lay, twisted and shattered in the darkness, I took the opportunity to ponder the complex structure of all physical reality. I considered that matter is energy in multitudinous forms, and as I did so my very being melted into a pool of yellow liquid. At that moment, a beam of sunlight penetrated the gloom of the mineshaft and in just a few seconds I was completely evaporated! Floating upwards, now in gaseous form, I once again burst forth into the open sky - and was immediately sucked into the air-conditioning system of a nearby office block. I've been here a couple of hours now; all the office workers have gone home sick. At last! I'm a French Legionnaire!

Monday:

I FINALLY PLAYED FOOTBALL..... OK. It was table football and unfortunately when I was up against Nemanja he tried to demonstrate how you do a sliding tackle with one of those sticks, impaling one of my testes as it shot through to my side. Still, at least he was sympathetic.

Tuesday:

Momma came over from Paris today. We had a lovely day together. She really loves my mansion. However, there was a terrible accident. I stood by the window, watching her as she walked the grounds. Oh, how far we've come from poor Paris! As she walked out, I saw her slip on some wet steps, slide down then snap her leg in two. It was exécrable! I shouted and wished to run to her aid. Unfortunately, a slight twinge in my hamstring meant I really couldn't help her. Still, I called an ambulance. After calling my helper dog bon-bon to bring the phone to me. I really couldn't leave my £3,500 lazy-boy - such was the dull, excruciating pain. I may not be fit for the weekend.

Wednesday:

Mr Ferguson called again. He's not happy. Have just suffered a recurrence of carpal tunnel syndrome while typing this. Twisted my back while turning, fell off the chair, dislocated my shoulder getting up and aggravated my shinsplints.

Thursday:

Good news, my agent says Spurs are in for me. They haven't had a proper replacement for Darren Anderton. I open a bottle of champagne to celebrate and the cork hits me in the eye blinding me.

:D:o

redrus

Another Satisfied Customer

Letter in The MEN on Tuesday....!

My son lives near Southampton but does a 500-mile round trip for nearly every United home game. He had to sign up for the Cup ticket scheme last season and purchased all 10 matches and attended all but one, getting home at 4am after some games.

Article continues below

Before the one that he did not attend, because of work, he sold his ticket though the ViaGoGo site on the official United web site, as recommended by United. He could have sold on the black market at a better price, but chose to sell to a genuine fan.

This season he applied to be put in the draw for the City away game on August 19 after seeing the United website inviting all those who had Purchased tickets last season to apply. But on ringing to find out if he was successful, he was told that because he sold one of his tickets on ViaGoGo he did not qualify. If he had sold it on the black market United would not have known, but because he chose the official route he has been penalised.

I think that this will be his last season as a season ticket holder.

Angry Ex-Red, Warrington.

redrus

Scholes returns against Dunfermline

Paul Scholes played for United last night for the first time since returning home from the Far East tour.

"It was good for some of the players to get some minutes under their belt and they all came through it fine," said United coach Mike Phelan.

"Paul came off the tour early which gave him an extra week or so.

"He has worked really hard, his injury is fine, he's came through the training and he is in contention for the weekend."

Two games in one night shows strength in depth.

He added: "It turned out the way we wanted it and it was a good evening for everybody.

"The manager likes to get these games in before the season starts and it has worked out pretty well.

"We had another game against Glentoran, so that shows that we have got a big squad this season.

"We can safely say it is going to be a long hard season, but we've got the good players to cope with that."

Queiroz expects strong start.

After watching United beat Glentoran Carlos Queiroz predicts United will start the season strongly.

"We are ready," he said. "There is no doubt we believe the boys are fully prepared.

"We realise it is a different ball game now. The Premier League is starting, it has a different atmosphere, different problems and there is a different intensity.

"But everybody is very excited by the challenge and ready to run this race."

He also thinks Nani should cool the celebrations.

"Maybe it would be better not to celebrate like that,"

"He can get injured that way.

"But it is his way to celebrate and we hope he has a lot more moments to celebrate.

"That is what we expect from him."

redrus

Edited by redrus

Ferguson sad to see Smith leave.

Ferguson has voiced his disappointment in Alan Smith leaving for the Barcodes.

"Alan has been a fantastic character in the dressing room and also a very important player for us," said Ferguson in the Daily Express.

"I was very sad to see him go.

"There are few characters as big as him in this country at the moment and it was a very difficult one for us to decide.

"He'll be remembered with great affection by everyone here and I'm sure that's the case with the fans."

redrus