Manchester United

redrus

Derby Start For Tevez

He should be match fit in a fortnight.

Carlos Tevez may be match fit in around a fortnight which means he could make his debut against City.

Queirozzz said: "Will he slot straight in? I don't think so. He's still a bit light after being involved in the Copa America. He had about 15 days without training but he'll get there. After about two weeks with us, I think Carlos will be ready to play."

Of course the Divs will still be hoping that 'blue tape' will be holding up the transfer.

:o:D

Scudamore admits lessons have been learnt.

The Premier League chairman Richard Scudamore has conceded the ruling body has learnt some lessons during the Carlos Tevez saga. It now appears that rules may be tightened in order to avoid a similar affair happening in the future.

"Changes have to be made for the same reason the Stevens report (into alleged bungs) was necessary," he told The Times.

"We cannot keep taking this blow to our reputation and the clubs recognise that. I think there is a feeling that we have to act differently to avoid this turmoil.

"The rulebook is constantly changing. It is a more regulated environment now, which is right because with extra money comes extra responsibility.

"I think the clubs are realising and we are realising that there really isn't anywhere to hide any more.

"On the back of the Carlos Tevez situation we have changed the rules so that all documentation relating to player registration and employment has to be submitted in advance of signing the player.

"Among West Ham United's defences was that they believed the third-party agreement did not have anything to do with the player's registration and that is why it was not shown to the Premier League. Our policy now is: let us be the judge.

redrus

Edited by redrus

Balsa Boy could prove Ferguson wrong

Rob Smyth takes a look at United's 'forgotten' striker.

Every summer, when they set off for another money-spinning pre-season tour, Manchester United go globetrotting. This summer they've gone Globetrotting, gathering a pool of showstopping attacking talent as exciting as any in the club's history. Anderson, Nani, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and, eventually, Carlos Tevez.

It all means that Louis Saha, arguably the single most important factor in United regaining the Premiership last season, has become the forgotten man of Old Trafford. Worse still, he has been ruthlessly ostracised. He is currently out with a knee injury (nobody seems to know - or care - when he'll be back), but Saha had long since been pushed to the margins: reportedly distrusted by his manager and team-mates while also being spoofed and viciously abused by many fans. That's the thanks you get.

Few involved with the club doubt Saha's quality, but patience has run dry with the apparent fragility of his body and, perhaps more importantly, the alleged fragility of his mind. Yet the problems started not with Saha's injuries but with Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to give priority to his short-term signing Henrik Larsson last winter. By the time Larsson had gone Saha was injured and then, to Ferguson's considerable chagrin, continued to plead that he was not 100% fit after a hamstring strain. To many, he simply didn't have the ###### to cope with squeaky-bum time - a perception that had lurked since his horribly predictable last-minute penalty miss at Celtic in the Champions League earlier in the season.

This may be so, but it is a dangerous assumption and certainly unfair to tar a man's professional reputation on the basis of supposition. However, the verdict on Saha has apparently been passed and met with widespread approval. Having benefited from Ruud van Nistelrooy's banishment at the hands of Ferguson, he cannot be completely surprised - it would be like the bit on the side who graduates to partner status and then wonders why his beloved is still playing away. Ferguson operates with the mercilessness of a Michael Corleone or Tony Soprano - when a relationship breaks down, the other party is dead to him. There will only ever be one winner, and you could almost make a high-class team from those who have lost: Bosnich, Stam, Heinze, Keane, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Ince, Van Nistelrooy. And now, it would seem, Saha.

The dismissal of Saha is arguably premature, not to mention callous; he was seemingly always injured for his first two years at Old Trafford, but has been available for all bar a handful of United's games over the last 18 months. And he was absolutely integral to the club's unexpected renaissance.

That swagger was long gone by the time United limped over the line in last season's title race. And while it is an oversimplification to attribute this purely to the absence of Saha - a small squad was knackered, and the raised stakes inevitably led to a reduced sense of freedom - the fact remains that United are an infinitely better side with Saha in the team.

He is also the only proper centre-forward United have. Tevez, like Rooney and Ronaldo, is an unfettered soul, at his best going where his instincts take him. Saha is always on the move but it is within the confines of a specific role and, like in the days of Andy Cole, United just look right when he plays. Ferguson has gone all round their world in pursuit of the perfect attack, but the best solution might just be on his doorstep.

Very fair response to my previous Saha post....! :o

redrus

Derby Start For Tevez

Carlos Tevez may be match fit in around a fortnight which means he could make his debut against City.

Queirozzz said: "Will he slot straight in? I don't think so. He's still a bit light after being involved in the Copa America. He had about 15 days without training but he'll get there. After about two weeks with us, I think Carlos will be ready to play."

What derby is that then Red? Are you playing a different City as we play you in 8 days :o

Derby Start For Tevez

What derby is that then Red? Are you playing a different City as we play you in 8 days :D

SSSSSsssshh, nit pickin, its over a week, so its a fortnight....! :o:D

redrus

Tevez wraps up United move

From Clubcall.com

2007-08-10 15:42:00.0

Manchester United have finally completed the signing of Carlos Tevez - and he could make his debut in the derby a week on Sunday.

Confirmation that the Argentina playmaker is officially a United player was announced by the Premier League on Friday and brings the curtain down on one of the most protracted transfers in Premiership history.

The 23-year-old is believed to have signed a two-year loan deal after his agent, Kia Joorabchian, paid the player's former club West Ham a £2million settlement.

redrus

Manchester United

Preview: United v Reading

10/ 8/2007

SIR Alex Ferguson is ready to resist the temptation to pitch any of his new signings straight into battle as Manchester United open their Premier League title defence against Reading.

Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson will all be in the Reds squad but all three are likely to start on the bench.

Paul Scholes will play after coming through a 90-minute outing at Dunfermline in midweek but Gary Neville (ankle) is out for another three weeks, while Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (both knee) have only just returned to training.

Ferguson, meanwhile, has detected a subtle change which comes from being champions.

"What you want to see in a team that has won the league is more authority, consistency and continuity in their game," he said.

"We have noticed that in the training sessions in the Far East. There is a far more stable situation now.

"We expect the young players to improve a lot, not just Rooney and Ronaldo but Nani and Anderson as well, and we expect more from Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic.

"We also have the right people to call on in terms of experience, so overall I am happy with the mix."

Reading will be without striker Leroy Lita, wingers Glen Little and Bobby Convey and defender Ibrahima Sonko for the game.

Lita has been sidelined by a hip injury, Little is still recovering from an Achilles problem while Convey and Sonko are both still recovering from knee surgery.

Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann is expected to play despite not having fully recovered from a broken hand and new signing Kalifa Cisse stands by for a debut. Fellow newcomer Emerse Fae’s lack of match-fitness means he will have to wait for his debut, however.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Brown, Simpson, Bardsley, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Evra, O'Shea, Carrick, Hargreaves, Eagles, Scholes, Fletcher, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, Anderson.

Reading (from): Hahnemann, Federici, Murty, De la Cruz, Ingimarsson, Bikey, Duberry, Shorey, Seol, Oster, Harper, Gunnarsson, Cisse, Hunt, Doyle, Kitson, Long.

Last season: United 3 Reading 2

Key opponent: Kevin Doyle - Irish striker adapted well to the Premiership last season and is a threat

Prediction: United 2 Reading 0 - Although not yet at full strength the Reds should have too much at home for the Royals

You can get 7/2 on Wayne Rooney scoring first with Betfred.

redrus

CARLOS

TEVEZ FINALLY HE'S HERE

Carlos Tevez is now officially a United player after the Argentina striker was registered with the Premier League.

It ends months of speculation linking the former West Ham forward with a move to Old Trafford. The club revealed to ManUtd.com on Friday: "We're delighted to announce that Carlos Tevez has been registered as a member of our first-team squad by the Premier League."

The 23-year-old striker, who will wear the same No.32 shirt he wore at West Ham, is eligible to play in Sunday's match against Reading at Old Trafford, but Sir Alex Ferguson is unlikely to use the striker, which could mean a midweek outing at Portsmouth or, more likely, a part in next Sunday's Manchester Derby.

Tevez has been keeping himself in shape by training with the Reds this week, and he's already impressed his new employers. “Carlos surprised us in the training sessions last week,” Sir Alex said. “After the Copa America, and with only a short holiday, I thought he might need more training. But he did very well and looked in great shape.

“He might be involved against Manchester City, but it’s difficult to assess what part he'll play because if you put somebody into a derby game, you have to make sure they’re spot on. It’s not a game in which you get time. It’s always frenetic against your local rivals. We’ll measure it. Now that we know he can play, we can make the decision quite easily.”

redrus

Two points dropped today, really disapointed that we didn't take the three points. I thought we played really well, but it was just one of those days. Couldn't single anyone out though, as I thought they all played well, without putting the finishing touches on the performance.

All credit to Reading who defended really well Duberry especially, and their goalkeeper was superb.

So, so much for my prediction of United scoring 6, although they certainly had the chances :o

Hopefully, we'll get it right on tuesday night, although Pompey have got a good record against us down there over the last few years.

Edited by mrtoad

You guys have to be dissapointed.

Wheras I am elated.

Great defensive display ...you had so many chances it was such a one sided game...but then that was SC's plan.

We only wanted a draw...and we got it. That was as good as a win at the "Theatre of Dreams" and we now have 2 in a row.

Thanks for the compliments Mr T. but YOU said that we would probably go down!!!( second season syndrome I think you called it)...just waiting for Redrus to respond now.

I still think you will win the titlle again though.

You guys have to be dissapointed.

Wheras I am elated.

Great defensive display ...you had so many chances it was such a one sided game...but then that was SC's plan.

We only wanted a draw...and we got it. That was as good as a win at the "Theatre of Dreams" and we now have 2 in a row.

Thanks for the compliments Mr T. but YOU said that we would probably go down!!!( second season syndrome I think you called it)...just waiting for Redrus to respond now.

I still think you will win the titlle again though.

TP, if they show as much spirit, organisation and determination as that for the rest of the season then "I'll have to eat my own head", as I beleive Charles Dickens once wrote. :o

It's still a long season so things will be a bit clearer in another 2 months, in respect of the second season syndrome. I still feel they will struggle, but hey I'm know expert. You'll need to ask Somchai and Sparky, afterall they are professional pundits :D .

Personally, I'd like Reading to stay up, as they certainly play the game in the right spirit and SC is an ex United man as well.

Anyway, hope we get a better a result later in the week.

Edited by mrtoad

Thanks for the very fair response Toady.

Our next match is Chelsea...we will see how that pans out...we only have one striker now anyway!

Good luck against Redknaps boys.....I dont like him much anyway...but its personal between me and him, he let me down once on a personal basis...so STUFF 'EM GOOD.

We'll have to get used to games like that, Reading came not to lose and played very well. Considering they're being tipped as possible relegation candidates who can blame them? Their entire team worked hard, restricted space and opportunity in front of goal, and when that wasn't enough their keeper saved the day.

The loss of Rooney (broken foot apparently! Not good news..) for the second half was a major blow as I felt, at that stage, certain that we would score. It's tempting to say that we were wrong in not buying a recognised striker during the close season when you see John O'Shea pushed into that role but I think I'll just accept that it was one of those frustrating afternoons when it didn't work out for us. We'll have better days.... :o

From The Guardian:

United stumble as Rooney suffers break

Manchester United 0 - 0 Reading

Wayne Rooney suffered a hairline fracture to his left foot as Manchester United stumbled at the first hurdle in their Barclays Premier League title defence, held to an Old Trafford draw by 10-man Reading.

With Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all scrambling victories from their opening fixtures, United immediately find themselves adrift after a game of missed chances. Not even the dismissal of Dave Kitson, just 37 seconds after his introduction as a second-half substitute, could provide the opening United so desperately searched for.

But by far the worst problem was the injury to Rooney, who had been United's most threatening player before he collapsed to the ground immediately after Michael Duberry had accidentally landed on his foot. Rooney hobbled on gamely for the remaining minutes of the first half but failed to reappear in the second period after Alex Ferguson confirmed that he could not put any weight on his left foot. With Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Louis Saha already out, the injury to Rooney is just what Ferguson did not need and is only likely to hasten the debut of Carlos Tevez, who completed his move to United on Friday but - like all of the Red Devils' summer signings - did not make the starting line-up.

Twelve months ago, United struck four times in the opening 20 minutes against Fulham, setting the tone for a glorious campaign which ended with their ninth Premier League title. Having seen all their major rivals collect three points over the weekend, the demand was there, if not for something similar, then for an effective, clinical, and winning performance. This time round though it was just a painful struggle.

While Rooney buzzed around dangerously, Ryan Giggs prodded and probed and Cristiano Ronaldo - man-marked by Nicky Shorey - threatened after a slow start, United did not really trouble Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann. The best they could manage was a Giggs volley that crashed back off a post, although the acute angle presented to the veteran Welshman by Ronaldo's curling cross always meant he was an outside bet to score.

Rooney went close on a couple of occasions, the second of which saw him steer Michael Carrick's low cross just over. It was that chance which ended with Duberry accidentally landing on his foot. Instantly, it became apparent Rooney had a problem and when he went down and removed his boot, a shudder must have gone down Ferguson's spine.

Even at the age of 21, Rooney has already suffered two broken metatarsals and as he slumped to the ground and removed his left boot, the instant fear was that it had happened again. Although the England forward was able to resume after the briefest of treatment, his movement was anything but free and as the half-time whistle went, off came the boot again as he headed down the tunnel. It was no surprise at all that Rooney did not appear for the second period and watching England coach Steve McClaren was not the only one nervously awaiting an injury update.

The only positive for Ferguson was that Rooney's replacement, £17million new-boy Nani, has caused plenty of havoc himself during pre-season. Yet, with Saha and Solskjaer injured, Ronaldo found himself in the rather uncomfortable position of central striker. Within 12 minutes of the restart he was joined by another unlikely forward in John O'Shea after Mikael Silvestre limped off. The Irish international has been used in a variety of roles during his United career - including in goal at Tottenham last season. Never before had O'Shea been asked to play up front though, even if his goals at Liverpool and Everton last term proved crucial to United's ultimate triumph.

O'Shea did manage to force Hahnemann into an instinctive save after Ronaldo and Paul Scholes had combined to set him up but a dramatic contest was given another twist 18 minutes from time when Kitson flew in at Evra with his studs raised. Kitson had been on the field for exactly 37 seconds, and touched the ball only once, but referee Rob Styles had no hesitation in brandishing the red card.

United launched themselves into a furious late assault, peppering the Reading goal. The best chance arrived in the final minutes when Darren Fletcher nodded Nani's cross in Scholes path. The former England star looked certain to score but, from seven yards, headed straight at Hahnemann.

:D Thanks Suszzy, it's a long way until May 2008 and no side will win all 38 league games. However, in my opinion, the value of a good start was the difference in our winning the Title last season. We've two tough away games looming at Portsmouth and then City.. drop any substantial amount of points there and I will start to get nervous, even this early on. (well, a bit maybe.. :o)

The great thing about this season though is the amount of clubs that have been able to strengthen their squads with the windfall from, for some, new ownership, and for all, the renegotiated TV deal. Should see some of the "bigger" clubs dropping unexpected points... like yesterday for example... :D

Edited by muckypups

More concern is the legnth of time that Rooney will be out. Looks like the foot injury is a little more serious than first anticipated.

I still feel that United would benefit from an out and out striker, and although we have one in Saha, it's a bit risky to rely on him alone as he is always bloody injured.

I suppose, we will see the intoduction of Tevez a little bit earlier than expected now.

The pompey game will certainly not be easy and City are reinvigorated, so a difficult start, last year we had momentoum after 19 minutes, when we went 4-0 up in the firts game. Anyway, I have total faith in Fergie.

More concern is the legnth of time that Rooney will be out. Looks like the foot injury is a little more serious than first anticipated.

Agreed Mt T. Had he not been injured I think we would have won the game. Also, I really want England to qualify for Euro 2008 and it's a real blow that he's unlikely to be available for the forthcoming qualifiers..

As for a striker, yes, agree again.. We were crying out for a Van Nistlerooy type of player yesterday.. as versatile as O'Shea is.. I've never marked him down as centre forward..!

Let's hope Tevez slots in well and we can get on a roll....

MP, I think O'shea must have now played in every position for United at some point or other. Even in Goal last year!

I agree about the RVN type player, the problem is that they are few and far between.

Agreed Mt T. Had he not been injured I think we would have won the game. Also, I really want England to qualify for Euro 2008 and it's a real blow that he's unlikely to be available for the forthcoming qualifiers..

Although it obviously gives me great delight (you wouldn't expect me to say anything else :o ) when United drop points, as an England fan i really didn't want that to happen. Sorry guys.

:o No offence taken Mr. B.. of course, imagine our delight in nicking the points come next Sunday... :D

Banter aside, I thought City looked very lively on Saturday.. perhaps old Sviagra is a better club manager after all.. interesting season coming for your mob I think...

Well done Reading and TP, your play against us over these two seasons typifies a spirit all too rare these days. United are included in that comment.

By Christ though, if we start half supporting every ex United man thats in management now or in the future, we aren't gonna have many teams left to dislike.... :o:D

Also agree with comments about an RVN type player, although we know his leaving was definitely for the best....!

redrus

View From The Pressbox

Monday 13th August 2007

Three in three for Rooney.

The Guardian

The first match of a new season is usually a time for heady anticipation but at Old Trafford it brought only anti-climax and, in the case of Wayne Rooney, a grim sense of foreboding. Rooney has a long and unhappy relationship with metatarsal injury and the England striker is reeling from the news that he has broken a foot for the third time in as many years.

This time there was no cry of agony and outstretched hand, as there had been on the Stamford Bridge pitch when Rooney went down 16 months ago and England's attempt to win the World Cup suffered a blow from which it never recovered. Yet, once again, Rooney's features were contorted in pain when the Reading centre-half Michael Duberry inadvertently brought down his studs on the top of his opponent's left foot. Once again, the diagnosis will be of immense concern not only for Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson but everyone involved with the England set-up, this being a critical time in the qualification programme for Euro 2008.

Rooney was taken to hospital and the club confirmed last night that he had suffered a hairline fracture. The official line was that it would mean a six-week lay-off but that is the optimistic view and it could conceivably be longer. Gary Neville, the United captain, and Michael Owen, Rooney's England team-mate, can testify that this is an injury in which the recovery process can be frustratingly drawn out.

For Reading, the pity is that Rooney's injury, and the potential seriousness of it for Ferguson and Steve McClaren, deflect from what was an outstanding performance of defensive courage and a stubborn refusal to go the same way as Fulham - the victims of a five-goal swamping on the corresponding fixture last season - even when their substitute Dave Kitson was sent off only 37 seconds after coming on to the pitch.

The pressure on Reading's goal was almost unremitting. Yet once Rooney left the pitch Ferguson did not have a recognised centre-forward, with Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Carlos Tevez all unfit at a time when Alan Smith and Giuseppe Rossi have both moved on. John O'Shea, a defender by trade, was brought on as an emergency striker but he, like Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, found the goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann in inspired form. Nani, the Portuguese recruit, also came off the bench but, despite looking lively, he too could not break down a defence in which Duberry, Nicky Shorey and Graeme Murty emerged as heroes.

Reading spent only £3.5m in the summer - compared with £60m for United- but they are clearly blessed with a manager whose tactical knowledge is priceless. Steve Coppell's master plan was to use Murty as a man-marker against Giggs, while Shorey was ordered to do a similar job on Ronaldo. The result was that United's two most creative players failed to have their usual effect, even after Kitson's dangerously high challenge on Patrice Evra.

The Torygraph

Manchester United have spent in excess of £40 million to reinforce their attacking armoury since securing a ninth Premiership title last May, so it was unexpected, to say the least, to see John O'Shea occupying the centre-forward role as the champions tried in vain to begin the defence of their championship with victory against Reading at Old Trafford.

Carlos Tevez, despite having trained with his new team-mates for over a week, watched frustrated from the directors' box alongside Anderson, the Brazilian attacking midfielder who arrived from Porto with a £19 million price tag around his neck.

With Alan Smith and Giuseppe Rossi ushered through the exit door in recent weeks, United's attacking strength has been diluted and, without Rooney, the gentle introduction planned for Tevez is no more.

American goalkeeper Hahnemann signalled his intent as early as the 10th minute when he raced off his line to beat Rooney to Michael Carrick's through-ball and he continued in the same vein throughout. Aside from a Ryan Giggs volley which hit the post, Hahnemann was equal to everything that United could throw at him. Cristiano Ronaldo, Scholes, Brown and, in the final minute of the game, Scholes and Ronaldo again, were denied by Hahnemann.

Reading's man-marking tactic stifled United's play and restricted the visitors to just one chance in the dying stages, but they were certainly successful, if physically drained.

United even spurned the gift of playing against 10 men for the final 17 minutes after Reading substitute Dave Kitson was sent off by referee Rob Styles for a studs-up challenge on Patrice Evra, 37 seconds after replacing Kevin Doyle.

The Times

Sir Alex Ferguson's mantra at this time of year is all about hitting the ground running. He could hardly have imagined that, by 5.50pm yesterday, he would have seen Wayne Rooney collapse in a crumpled heap and the rest of his Manchester United players fall to their knees in weary frustration as the final whistle was blown.

Whatever this was, it was not hitting the ground running. United had enough opportunities to win, but, with Reading parking the proverbial bus in front of their goal, it was not a result that had the spectators scratching their heads in disbelief as they headed for the exits. Even after Dave Kitson was sent off, only 37 seconds after his introduction as a second-half substitute, Reading held firm, eager to disprove the voguish theory that they will fall victim to the phenomenon known in footballing circles as difficult second-season syndrome.

At the final whistle, several Reading players sprinted towards Marcus Hahnemann, the goalkeeper who had repelled the best of United's attacks, but this was far more than a one-man resistance movement. There should be honourable mentions for Michael Duberry, whose top-flight days were thought to be behind him until he was summoned from Stoke City in January, and for the Icelandic duo of Ivar Ingimarsson and Brynjar Gunnarsson, but above all for Steve Coppell, the manager, whose tactics Ferguson praised through gritted teeth.

With Rooney on his way to hospital, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Louis Saha not yet match-fit and Tévez kicking his heels in the directors' box, it fell to the unlikely figure of John O'Shea to lead the line for United in the second half. Had he not shot straight at Hahnemann when put through by Ryan Giggs, it would have been hailed as a masterstroke on Ferguson's part.

Ferguson was entitled to cite other chances that fell to Wes Brown and Paul Scholes in the second half, with the postmatch statistics claiming that United had had 70 per cent of the possession and mustered 21 goal attempts to Reading's three, but this never seemed likely to be the kind of stroll for the home team that the bookmakers' odds suggested.

Cristiano Ronaldo offered the greatest threat for the home team, testing Hahnemann with a couple of characteristic efforts and setting up decent first-half chances for Rooney and Giggs, but even he was far from his mercurial best. Opportunity knocked for Ronaldo in the fifth minute of injury time, but this time he sent a free kick sailing into the Stretford End.

By that stage, Reading were a man short, Kitson having been shown the red card for a senseless lunge on Patrice Evra just moments after entering the field.

It meant that the final 17 minutes, plus stoppage time, resembled the alamo, with Reading playing an operation best described as 4-5-0, but, to their manager's delight, they preserved their point. Reading could hardly have been presented with a more fearsome start to the campaign, but they will face Chelsea on Wednesday with renewed confidence in their prospects this season. As for United, they have difficult away assignments against two of the summer's biggest movers in the transfer market, Portsmouth and Manchester City, whose manager, Sven-Göran Eriksson, appeared to enjoy his spying mission.

Good Chances, Good Movement

But no fit centre forwards

Monday 13th August 2007

Ferguson after yesterday's game.

"It just wasn't our day," he told Sky Sports.

"We broke them down alright, had some good chances and some good movement.

"In the second half, chances started to come. We had some good chances and we just didn't take them.

"Credit to them, they battled, they wanted a result and they got one.

"I can understand anyone coming here and doing that.

"The loss of Wayne Rooney was obvious - I think if he'd been on the pitch we'd have won the match."

Steve Coppell was happier with the day than his opposite number.

"We had a game plan, which was disciplined, and for once we got a return from it. The discipline from my players was admirable and to keep it going for 90 minutes was terrific.

"But going down to ten men for 15 minutes is not recommended when you're coming to Old Trafford, we lost a player last year as well. It's hard enough with 11."

"We came here to get a result, we came here to try win the game but we know it's hard," the Reading manager said.

"They are the champions, they are the home team. They have the responsibility and they accept the responsibility to make the play. We just made it difficult for them and today it worked.

"We're grateful for the point."

Patrice Evra agreed with the referee's decision to send off Dave Kitson.

"I went to kick the ball and I just saw his foot coming towards me," recalled the France international.

"I don't understand why he did it. It was very bad. It is the right decision to send him off."

redrus

Heinze feels trapped

Heinze has criticised United for the way his transfer request has been dealt.

"I want a quick solution. My lawyers have told me a meeting with the Premier League is possible to advance the matter next week," Heinze told The People.

"The club had guaranteed my transfer if a good offer came in and nobody specified anything about the club whether it be a foreign team or Liverpool.

"I am a total professional and I have always behaved as such. Now I just ask that they respect me and accept what I was promised.

"It is incomprehensible and, that aside, they are affecting me as a professional not being able to go to another club.

"I have respected Ferguson since I arrived at Manchester. I don't want any conflict with United and neither do I have anything against the fans. They have always treated me perfectly and I have given everything for the club."

I really really hate this, I mean whats the problem here. Heinze is one of our best players. Get rid of Silvestre O'pie and Fletcher before we even think of selling Heinze and, when that time comes, er,. lets still not get rid of him.....!!!!!

:o:D :D :D :D

redrus

Heinze is a good player, but it surely is Uniteds perogative on who or if they want to sell him. He has two more years on his contract so it's a bitt of tough luck if you as me. He had the opportunity to buy his contract up, but didn't, so know he has to rely on Uniteds decision. There is no bloody way that we should sell him to the scousers, end of.

Right, I'm going to wrap all this in one post as I live in the boonies, have TT&T.. and today it really sucks.. so:

For me, we shouldn't even be thinking of selling Heinze.. what's the story with Silvestre starting? If there were internal problems with the guy before all this transfer talk started then surely they could be worked out.. they are clearly not driven by location as he/his agent, or both, are agitating for a move to Liverpool.. hardly light years away.. (sadly, for all those shiny hub-caps out there..joking :o ) I don't think we can afford to lose a player of his quality.. especially to our biggest rivals.. If United are determined to sell him then please not to a Premiership club.. that's madness.

Mr B... :D Do you remember.. (better than us, considering your record I guess) The League Cup used to have three handles.. Very handy for the odd butterfingers that came along.. Anyway, with that in mind and in celebration of your outstanding achievements in the Worthle..er League Cup.. You can enjoy this on me..(courtesy of the Times:)

Goalkeeping Blunders

Sadly, or inevitably, for us Barthez features...heavily... :D :D

I have no idea why Silvestre is starting. I was under the assumption that he was going to be sold, but clearly given the need for cover in defensive positions that would not be a good idea. Whilst, I would rather United keep Heinze, if he really wants to go then they'll just have to let him, but only on the clubs terms and not the dispicable agent, no way should we sell him to the Scousers.

The only logic I can think of at present about playing Silvestre is that Ferguson, feels that Nani isn't quite ready to play out wide from the start, or beacuse of the lack of options up front due to fitness levels, hence the deployment of Evra. I'd hazard that when the new guys are back fit, the Evra will slot back inot the full back position. So far though, I think he has done okay in the midfield, he's got a good engine and is good going forward, although rather have him at fullback.

Sure will see what happens in the next couple of weeks, when other players start coming back to full fitness.