Throttle Elbow

Yes Im serious here boys and grils. Whenever I ride for a few days at a time 5-6 hours per day I get a lump of fluid just above right elbow..usually comes about after 2nd or 3rd day... not sore or anything , just squishy when you lean your elbow on table and type.

Anyone else get this... what is it ?? Remedy or let nature take its course

Happy snap attached

is this the first recorded case of elbownanitis ???

Of course any suggestions that this is caused by other activities related to my right hand is totally without basis and belittling a serious post....... I use both hands for that

post-135230-0-69203600-1338888106_thumb.

Sounds like elbow bursitis, usually needs the fluid draining.

yuk, sort of wished I hadn't asked the question now.. but just googled it and pictures on the med page I was directed to are exactly the same.. funny thing is no pain whatsoever.

You dont know by chance if jack daniels and coke is an alternative cure...

Monty could be a Baker's Cyst. I had one on the back of my knee. RICE Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (I think that is right?)

Mine went all on its own. When it goes away. Next time you go riding wrap an elasticated bandage around your elbow!

Sadly Dr. Francis is no longer with us or I would suggest you go and see him!

Sounds like elbow bursitis, usually needs the fluid draining.

yuk, sort of wished I hadn't asked the question now.. but just googled it and pictures on the med page I was directed to are exactly the same.. funny thing is no pain whatsoever.

You dont know by chance if jack daniels and coke is an alternative cure...

Not sure, my Gran had it and said babycham helped, any babycham in LOS?

Monty could be a Baker's Cyst. I had one on the back of my knee. RICE Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (I think that is right?)

Mine went all on its own. When it goes away. Next time you go riding wrap an elasticated bandage around your elbow!

Sadly Dr. Francis is no longer with us or I would suggest you go and see him!

Many thanks... I also like the hog fat remedy... Im fixin to go down to McCoy's Purveyors of Good Old Boy remedies store right soon as i had my fiddles and fixins... nothing like a medical problem to bring out the old home remedies.

Home remedies? Rub some Tiger Balm on it.clap2.gif

Im a member of save the tigers foundation so that wont do.. likewise I like foxes so i watch fox news but so far very disappointing that their haven't been any fox stories at allgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Few days for 5-6 hours per day?

Ye gods man, that's a lot of riding...

Probably bursitis; if averse to needles and draining, maybe the hog fat/tiger balm is the way to go with this.....

RICE, NSAID are the treatments recommended. Surgery is a last resort. Do not use a compression bandage; that will make it worse as pointed out in the article listed below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursitis

Few days for 5-6 hours per day?

Ye gods man, that's a lot of riding...

Probably bursitis; if averse to needles and draining, maybe the hog fat/tiger balm is the way to go with this.....

RICE, NSAID are the treatments recommended. Surgery is a last resort. Do not use a compression bandage; that will make it worse as pointed out in the article listed below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursitis

Thanks mcgriffith.. new day and its down about 70% so all good.. really strange, no pain whatsoever and haven't to my memory had an injury there.. I guess its just because of the intensiveness of the elbow and associated tendons/ muscles involved in riding..

when I rode from CM to Loei last Friday I covered about 825kms.. went long way around.. had all day so did scenic route....

I can't tell you what to do about your elbow, but I can suggest eliminating having to hold that f'ing throttle spring open for 5 or 6 hours at a pull. Get a Kaoko or Throttlemeister throttle damper (lock). I have used one for years (Throttlemeister on my Beemer back in the States and Kaoko on my current ER6n). I wouldn't leave home without it. If you have to keep the throttle cranked open with your hand, how in the hell can you scratch your nose and your balls at the same time? I can do this at 160 without sudden deceleration.

Thanks mcgriffith.. new day and its down about 70% so all good.. really strange, no pain whatsoever and haven't to my memory had an injury there.. I guess its just because of the intensiveness of the elbow and associated tendons/ muscles involved in riding..

when I rode from CM to Loei last Friday I covered about 825kms.. went long way around.. had all day so did scenic route....

I did that route (or a very similar one) about a month or so ago. Outstanding roads! Had some long days as well.

Edited by TongueThaied

I can't tell you what to do about your elbow, but I can suggest eliminating having to hold that f'ing throttle spring open for 5 or 6 hours at a pull. Get a Kaoko or Throttlemeister throttle damper (lock). I have used one for years (Throttlemeister on my Beemer back in the States and Kaoko on my current ER6n). I wouldn't leave home without it. If you have to keep the throttle cranked open with your hand, how in the hell can you scratch your nose and your balls at the same time? I can do this at 160 without sudden deceleration.

Thanks TongueThaied... Id looked at those products Yes but cant quite get my head around it in that allot of riding especially on roads which are moderate in terms of twisties ( sort of sweeping bends) but still fast require throttle control rather than brake control. Yes I can see the point of it say on a long boring stretch on highway 1 but then you arent really actively twisting the throttle hugely and I generally rotate my hand around so the palm of the hand is holding the throttle open.

Guess what Im trying to say is that for the parts of the ride where i really am working the throttle the lock wouldn't be used and the parts of the ride where I'm not actively twisting the throttle i.e solid run speed than Im not working the throttle and hence need for lock is diminished.

Having said that i have never tried it and certainly worth thinking about.

thanks for suggestion...

I could see a throttle lock or cruise control being useful in a country like the US where you can ride for hours at a time on the interstate at a constant speed.

But here in Thailand I find that, the road conditions being what they are, it's rare to go more than a short distance before you need to throttle off.

In Thailand it would be wise to always keep at least one hand on the handlebars.