Anyone Seeking To Form A Band?

Chads

I wondered if there are people in Phuket who would like to form a band and play/write music together. I'm into everything (modern) from indie/alternative to hardcore/punk/metal.

I don't know if people from Phuket check this sub-forum as much. But I thought I'd post this here first.

Why yes! I'm sure you'll find no problem attracting old neverbeens just itching to grab their moth eaten Les Paul copies and get some chum able to hit a stretched cowhide with a stick or two, together with someone playing along with themselves, alone, on an all singing all dancing 'keyboard', whose collection in music stopped around 1980 and deems everything else 'rubbish'.

Good luck with that blink.png .

Why yes! I'm sure you'll find no problem attracting old neverbeens just itching to grab their moth eaten Les Paul copies and get some chum able to hit a stretched cowhide with a stick or two, together with someone playing along with themselves, alone, on an all singing all dancing 'keyboard', whose collection in music stopped around 1980 and deems everything else 'rubbish'.

You're always in such a foul mood or is the bad weather affecting you ?

• Like 1

No worries, just trying. If it doesn't work out it's alright too. What kind of music do you like?

Why did you bother posting this? Have I hit a nerve?smile.png 'Bubblegum'. Hey! Wasn't that a 'music' genre?laugh.png Edited by silsburyhill

Why did you bother posting this? Have I hit a nerve?smile.png 'Bubblegum'. Hey! Wasn't that a 'music' genre?laugh.png

Excuse me... you are asking me ?? why I post. The OP ask for info and all you give is a cynical remark.

To the OP, I mainly love blues and acid Jazz, along with Soul, R & B ( before they called Beyonce R & B ) and underground stuf. Ah also, Nick Drake and (heaveier) Black Keys, White Stripes...and ohhhh too much.

Joe Cocker, yes Joe and Zappa, Tom Waits, Roxy Music, Bowie, and Kyteman ( look this up on Youtube)

Why did you bother posting this? Have I hit a nerve?smile.png 'Bubblegum'. Hey! Wasn't that a 'music' genre?laugh.png

Excuse me... you are asking me ?? why I post. The OP ask for info and all you give is a cynical remark.

To the OP, I mainly love blues and acid Jazz, along with Soul, R & B ( before they called Beyonce R & B ) and underground stuf. Ah also, Nick Drake and (heaveier) Black Keys, White Stripes...and ohhhh too much.

Joe Cocker, yes Joe and Zappa, Tom Waits, Roxy Music, Bowie, and Kyteman ( look this up on Youtube)

The OP asked for players, i guess of musical instruments not a CD player, i personally like the village people or just music with separate letters in the title, connecting letters are such a drag man, i agree why did you post, your answer is not relevant and undermines the OP that asked a legit question, plus the music you listen to although crass clearly is not the same taste as the OP, YMCA a anthem for a generation

^ Totally agree, and personally believe posts like that should be deleted. They are the catalyst to most flame wars and thread derailments. Pointless, pointless, pointless.

90% of all the posts I've ever had deleted on this forum are responses to posts like that.

As far as the band goes, I'm tone deaf and can't play any instruments, but when you hit the big time, please remember that I knew you before you were famous and invite me to all the wild parties. smile.png

• Like 1

i'm an old neverbeen and i'm very interested. i play drums and guitar (not a les paul copy by the way, sorry i don't fit the profile exactly)

i'm in rawai, where are you (OP i mean)

Oh that's great. I'm going to be in Phuket Town. What bands do you like?

i'm an old neverbeen and i'm very interested. i play drums and guitar (not a les paul copy by the way, sorry i don't fit the profile exactly)

will you have a place to play?

i'm into hard rock/metal, like ozzy, metallica, acdc and prog rock, namely rush and dream theater but the latter two are far too technical for a garage band.

happy to play anything so long as its not got the name of a US state in the song title

personally i'm not interested in jamming that much. i prefer to learn songs.

will you have a place to play?

i'm into hard rock/metal, like ozzy, metallica, acdc and prog rock, namely rush and dream theater but the latter two are far too technical for a garage band.

happy to play anything so long as its not got the name of a US state in the song title

personally i'm not interested in jamming that much. i prefer to learn songs.

I don't have a place to play yet. But yeah ACDC, Metallica, etc I do enjoy all that stuff.

We could learn some songs together when I'm there. I'll contact you :)

Hi Chads, what do you play?

I can play guitar, bass, drums, and sing.

cool. i've played drums for 20+ years including a few local bands but i also like to play guitar and even a bit of keyboard so its cool to have multiinstrument people involved so we can swap around a bit.

besides me, is anyone else really interested?

by the way silsburyhill (great pete gabriel song by the way), i like the name 'old neverbeens', can we use it?

by the way silsburyhill (great pete gabriel song by the way), i like the name 'old neverbeens', can we use it?

Silsbury Hill? Great song, but it's called Solsbury Hill which is in Somerset and where he claimed to have a "spiritual experience". It's also supposedly about his split from Genesis.

Seems like one member has misspelled his TV name. Doh!

Edited by KarenBravo

The big question is, can any of you sing? You could have Knopfler on guitar, Collins on the drums, and Jean Michel Jarre on keyboards, but the band would still sound <deleted> if nobody can sing.

I know you're only talking about having a bit of fun and not trying to hit the charts but if you want to get to the stage where you're playing in local bars then it's the most important thing IMO. It's the weak link in nearly every amateur band you see.

Good luck. I hope you get past the talking stage and actually get together. As somebody once said. "The god thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain"

We'll have to wait until your first gig to see if he was right or not. biggrin.png

The big question is, can any of you sing? You could have Knopfler on guitar, Collins on the drums, and Jean Michel Jarre on keyboards, but the band would still sound <deleted> if nobody can sing.

I know you're only talking about having a bit of fun and not trying to hit the charts but if you want to get to the stage where you're playing in local bars then it's the most important thing IMO. It's the weak link in nearly every amateur band you see.

Good luck. I hope you get past the talking stage and actually get together. As somebody once said. "The god thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain"

We'll have to wait until your first gig to see if he was right or not. biggrin.png

Yeah, I can sing but my voice is a bit like your keyboard........too loud ! cheesy.gif

Sorry, just had to post this, no bad intentions.

i'm trying to figure out who is seriously interested in doing this thing?

so far all i can figure is chads and me which isn't much of a band. anyone else?

also, chads, when do you plan on getting this thing started? sounds like you are not in phuket at the moment?

Be aware that playing in a band in a bar is working and you do require a work permit. I do have a working band with no drummer (machine now) and a bass player leaving town in a couple of months. I don't have a work permit so we keep it low key. We won't be playing Patong. We play rock and roll, blues, oldies, everything from Beatles to Bruno Mars. If you're interested PM me.

Be aware that playing in a band in a bar is working and you do require a work permit. I do have a working band with no drummer (machine now) and a bass player leaving town in a couple of months. I don't have a work permit so we keep it low key. We won't be playing Patong. We play rock and roll, blues, oldies, everything from Beatles to Bruno Mars. If you're interested PM me.

i'm not really interested in playing bar gigs to be honest. the WP is one issue but i just can't be bothered with the whole gig thing anymore.

i'm really just interested in finding a few like minded musicians to crank out a few songs with in a garage somewhere, just for fun.

Silsbury Hill? Great song, but it's called Solsbury Hill which is in Somerset and where he claimed to have a "spiritual experience". It's also supposedly about his split from Genesis.

The Genesis split? Crivvens, lad, that’s some memory you’ve got there! giggle.gif ....In 1975 I was 11 and can (sort of) remember that older sister me had a scratchy vinyl copy of ‘Selling England by the Pound’...not my cup of tea, mind, although I did like PG’s work as a solo artist and saw him play live a number of times in my capacity as an older child.

I think the idea of a TV band would be a great idea to compliment the OP’s opening gambit. The TV band could comprise of TV members (I note you’ve already offered your services as lead Bass Triangle thumbsup.gif ) whose material could be based around matters that effect them and their familiars; a sort of latent adolescent angst pertaining to whatever is was if only they could remember what is was they were angry about in the first place. Names are being sort for this new band and suggestions are welcome. I would offer my services as I still have Pa’s Irish Bagpipes, but this would mean having to leave my own band ‘Skating on Thin Ice’ and so, with great regret I will have to abstain from the fun.tongue.png

William.

Firstly, you ASSume my nik is named for SILBURY HILL (sic) (it's not), And it's 'SOLSBURY Hill'. Double Doh laugh.png

What was that you said? Oh, no problem old chap, apology accepted.

Edited by silsburyhill