Like Or Dislike With The Ford Ranger 2.2

I am offered a Ford Ranger 2.2 Automatic (silver colored). Was wondering if you would share your experience with this car?

Understand them are difficult to obtain, but has received an offer from a dealer for this car.

What model exactly? There's 3 body styles; XL (2 door), XLS (2 door extra cab) and XLT (4 door).

I have the XLT, done around 4500km including long trips and it's a keeper.

How much is the dealer asking? If you aren't interested, I have a buddy who is. Delivery times for the XLT have gone from 2-3 months to 4-5 months.

Edited by NanLaew

I have a 4dr 6AT XLT and very happy with it after 7000kms. The 2.2TD engine has plenty of power and economical and the 6-speed auto box is very smooth. Lots of room inside the modern interior and very comfortable, did a 800km drive in one day before with no back/butt/leg ache. Chunky 17inch wheels means it can cope with most roads and the brakes are very responsive too. Have a nose around similar priced trucks from Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Nissan and it'll be a no-brainer!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have a 4dr 6AT XLT and very happy with it after 7000kms. The 2.2TD engine has plenty of power and economical and the 6-speed auto box is very smooth. Lots of room inside the modern interior and very comfortable, did a 800km drive in one day before with no back/butt/leg ache. Chunky 17inch wheels means it can cope with most roads and the brakes are very responsive too. Have a nose around similar priced trucks from Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Nissan and it'll be a no-brainer!

If you had had a choice between a non-existent 3.2 xlt and the 2.2 what would you have chosen? Would you take the extra power over the better fuel economy of the 3.2? Would the power of a 3.2 really be all that noticeable in an unladen vehicle, compared to the 2.2.

If you had had a choice between a non-existent 3.2 xlt and the 2.2 what would you have chosen? Would you take the extra power over the better fuel economy of the 3.2? Would the power of a 3.2 really be all that noticeable in an unladen vehicle, compared to the 2.2.

Still would have gone for the 2.2. From the reviews I've read of both there is very little noticeable difference and I can understand why. From a standing start it gets away fast enough when required, overtaking is a doddle and easily cruises at 120kph with plenty left for those who prefer, or need, to go faster.

Still would have gone for the 2.2. From the reviews I've read of both there is very little noticeable difference and I can understand why. From a standing start it gets away fast enough when required, overtaking is a doddle and easily cruises at 120kph with plenty left for those who prefer, or need, to go faster.

Thanks for that. I think the 3.2 could be a bit heavy on fuel if you drive around town a lot too. Would you happen to know if a rear view camera can be fitted to the 2.2 from the ford dealer or if one is now available aftermarket. I like the XLT (jealous of my friend getting a gunmetal blue one!) but it's missing a couple of things like the usb port and rearview camera.

What model exactly? There's 3 body styles; XL (2 door), XLS (2 door extra cab) and XLT (4 door).

You sure about that, Ive got a Hi-Rider Open Cab (2 door extra cab) Hi-Rider XLT on order.

The OP said automatic. From what I can see 2.2ltr A/T is only available on one 4-door model in 2WD and one model in 4WD.

If it was available on 2WD 2-door models I would buy one.

i got the 2.2 4 door wildtrack in chilli orange.

Love the color and got many ppl also teling me they love the color.

Power is more than u expect from a 2.2.

only thing is my phone rang someone by itself through the bluetooth which was weird. not sure if its the phone or car problem

You sure about that, Ive got a Hi-Rider Open Cab (2 door extra cab) Hi-Rider XLT on order.

The OP said automatic. From what I can see 2.2ltr A/T is only available on one 4-door model in 2WD and one model in 4WD.

If it was available on 2WD 2-door models I would buy one.

Cheers Darrell, did not notice that.

Interesting that Cab style depicts engine/transmission combinations.

The new Ranger really is a great truck.

You can't compare it to the old generation trucks, it's years ahead.

What I would add is if you can wait, get the Wildtrak.

While mine was in the service department :-( I had a XLT.

For an extra 70K you get a lot more refinement and gadgets.

One thing that I don't like is you can't lock the doors from the inside, but I can see the safety concerns.

One thing that I don't like is you can't lock the doors from the inside, but I can see the safety concerns.

There is a button on the center console with a lock sign, that locks the doors.

Yes, just left of the hazard lights button

2012, 4 cab, 6 speed auto. Took so long to get it but worth it in my estimation. 2.2 has all the power you may need. BKK to CM on the first run, interior room and seating excellent. 7+ hours in the saddle ... no pain. Great highway curser.

stefan2519: Dash button locks all doors, drivers side all window lock button as well.

2012 reengineered to run in water just about up to the windows. Dual air-bags, excellent crash protection construction.

One caution: The dealer network. One on Lad Prao, no name mentioned, completely incompetent. Sales agent: lies, deception and missrepresentation. Normal?

Up side: The corporate Ford Hotline. They do the job, agent fired, staff removed,

and they get right on it. @v@:)

2012, 4 cab, 6 speed auto. Took so long to get it but worth it in my estimation. 2.2 has all the power you may need. BKK to CM on the first run, interior room and seating excellent. 7+ hours in the saddle ... no pain. Great highway curser.

I feel like doing that on highways sometimes, but usually because of predictive text.

Cursing aside, how is your fuel consumption?

Having ruled out the 2-door A/T 2.5ltr Navara (which I was really quite keen on) due to high fuel consumption I am now looking again at Ford/Mazda/Mitsubishi/DMax/Toyota.

2012 Ford XLT owners: Anyone know how to get an owners manual in English?

WOuld also be interested.... Trying to find a PDF version online but cant

There's a link on the old thread a few pages back.

Yes, just left of the hazard lights button

Yeah, I knew about the button.

I'd prefer the old button/switch.

I know the nipper shouldn't be in the front, but she grabs everything.

As soon as you touch the handle the lock disengages.

That said, I can see the safety reason.

2012 Ford XLT owners: Anyone know how to get an owners manual in English?

WOuld also be interested.... Trying to find a PDF version online but cant

There's a link on the old thread a few pages back.

I call it the MAIN thread but it takes you here....

http://www.ford-ranger-forum-uk.co.uk/Downloads/2012%20Ranger%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

The first 40 pages of that thread are over a year old, and useless now.

I was trying to find a post on some specs, I gave up after a 10mins.