Work Permit Medical In Phuket

CiaranO

If you have a work permit and are paying taxes on a monthly basis, you automatically have government sponsored health insurance through your own company or employer. If the company you are working for is reputable, and somewhat cares about their employees, you might also receive a supplement insurance from a private company that you can use in conjunction with your government health insurance.

Any additional coverage will have to be obtained by yourself. BUPA International is one of the leading health insurance companies here in Thailand. You can also look into Ayudhya Allianz.

ughhh yeah, ok..... In that case the answer is anywhere where you see clinic, doctor, and sometimes pharmacies provide them as well.

Avoid the hospitals. Cost 50-100 baht.

"get a medical" That's funny.... clap2.gif

Cheers for that lol.............."get a medical", exactly how we say it at home lol..............

Yes I heard that......so would my best bet be a hospital ? Any idea the cost ?

In Chiang Mai at a top private hospital who is familiar with the requirements it cost me 200 Baht. Probably one in Phuket in the same price range but need input from local members.

Blood test needed for some arb std, did mine at a clinic a few blocks up (towards town) from the immigration office, cant recall the road name, quick in and out good sevice. Cost about 150THB

was it on the main road to immigration? I might go for a wander later, assuming this rain stops for a bit, awful day out.

Cheers

Blood test needed for some arb std, did mine at a clinic a few blocks up (towards town) from the immigration office, cant recall the road name, quick in and out good sevice. Cost about 150THB

That must be the clinic just past (50m) the Robinson lights, right side going to the clock circle, Thought is might have closed after the small hospital opposite closed a couple of years ago.

You do need the blood test for Syphalis but almost any roadside clinic will do it.

The labour department doesn't like it if you have elephantitis either. In fact in my work contract it says I can be dismissed if I become gross to look at.

Edited by Peterocket

was it on the main road to immigration? I might go for a wander later, assuming this rain stops for a bit, awful day out.

Cheers

Yup, on the main road. There is either a 7/11 or family mart just opposite it

Edited by GubXram

This has been a requirement since 2009, but my personal experience over the past 7 years employed here in Thailand I have

never had to get my blood drawn on renewals. In fact every aspect regarding my employment has been handled directly by my company's HR department.

Can you possibly imagine this happening to the 1000’s of foreign employees working here in Thailand, not to mention all the new

applicants trying to complete their work permit applications as well ? And then for Syphilis of all things…Geez…

Hmmm, maybe I am in the wrong business and need to open up a clinic just for blood tests…… 200 BHT times X amount…..

I do know that educational institutions are defiantly trying to comply with the “real” medical certificate requirements for foreign "teachers", but this is because they have the MOE on their butts. Seems a little weird to me though, are they implying that Thai teachers are not susceptible to contract Syphilis, and all Farangs have the disease because they think we are all whoremongers and sexpats? Who really knows the reason why, but I guess it’s always best for the employer to know about the status of your health, especially if working around children.

Personally, I think it would be more beneficial if they were screening for hepatitis or HIV, syphilis is still a curable disease.

Other obstacles in regards to your acquiring your work permit, renewals, visas, heath insurance, and the 90 day reporting should all be done for you. Yes you might have to ride along for some of these things, but all communications within these channels are preferably done Thai on Thai.

The Labor Department here in Phuket is not a fun place to go, and can also be a little daunting, especially going alone as a foreigner, that is unless of course your Thai communication skills are pretty spot on.

The medical certificate can be very easily obtained through clinics, pharmacies, and Dr. Somchai located next to Happy Bar on Soi BJ. A real medical examination, where they actually "do their job" is going to cost you some cash, but at least you will receive a real assessment regarding your health. Phuket International, and Bangkok Hospital are the primary places where you can go to get yourself your “medical”…. Prices starting at whatever they want them to start at for that particulars days quota.

Good luck "And let the force be with you"

ughhh yeah, ok..... In that case the answer is anywhere where you see clinic, doctor, and sometimes pharmacies provide them as well.

On top of this it's usually, "yes, you have a pulse, 100thb please, get your cert from the lady at the counter, goodbye".

On top of this it's usually, "yes, you have a pulse, 100thb please, get your cert from the lady at the counter, goodbye".

Not even that with Dr Chusak in Kata. Lady behind the counter asks to see passport, writes the pre signed certificate, takes the money, never see the doc.

Not even that with Dr Chusak in Kata. Lady behind the counter asks to see passport, writes the pre signed certificate, takes the money, never see the doc.

That being said Dr. Chusak is an awesome local doctor. 2003 he diagnosed a torn knee ligament on me by just pressing on the ligament. Now, I hit the roof in pain and my knee was the size of a durian, but he was on the money. "Completely torn you would not have felt that", he says with a smile.

Great doctor, really. I just think that is status quo for these "medical certs".

That being said Dr. Chusak is an awesome local doctor. 2003 he diagnosed a torn knee ligament on me by just pressing on the ligament. Now, I hit the roof in pain and my knee was the size of a durian, but he was on the money. "Completely torn you would not have felt that", he says with a smile.

Great doctor, really. I just think that is status quo for these "medical certs".

Where is he located exactly? Just for future reference or emergency....

Personally, I think it would be more beneficial if they were screening for hepatitis or HIV, syphilis is still a curable disease.

I had a blood test for a newly issued work permit about 3 years ago. I asked why they were testing for syphilis and was told by the doctor that actually, it's a covert HIV test. You can have syphilis but not have HIV but apparently you will always test positive for syphilis if you have HIV.

Here's the thing though............you can't pass on HIV in normal, daily circumstances, like say, working as a teacher....................

So it appears that foreigners with HIV are discriminated against, because the Thai teachers are not checked for HIV. And Thailand certainly does have a high number of people with HIV.

(I haven't got HIV by the way - I'm just sayin')

Yes agreed Chusak is a very good GP. He is very popular, hence the long queues. He on Taina Rd, that's the road from traffic lights (near PTT) station to Kata Centre. More like half way down + on right side.

Ha, ha LIK, you and I just passed each other going the opposite directions !!

I had a blood test for a newly issued work permit about 3 years ago. I asked why they were testing for syphilis and was told by the doctor that actually, it's a covert HIV test. You can have syphilis but not have HIV but apparently you will always test positive for syphilis if you have HIV.

Here's the thing though............you can't pass on HIV in normal, daily circumstances, like say, working as a teacher....................

So it appears that foreigners with HIV are discriminated against, because the Thai teachers are not checked for HIV. And Thailand certainly does have a high number of people with HIV.

Foreigners are HIV discriminated against in many Asian countries - especially if seeking work as a teacher.

I don't work as a teacher, but once a year in my workplace we are checked for everything - HIV, STD's, etc - as well as a full medical. It's mandatory and the company pays for it. However, I did have to get a check for syphilis last year before I could get a new work permit. I didn't get the explanation that Mark did, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

I always have had to get a doctor's certificate from either Phuket International or Bangkok Phuket. Lucky suckers who can just get one off of the streets!

Foreigners are HIV discriminated against in many Asian countries - especially if seeking work as a teacher.

I don't work as a teacher, but once a year in my workplace we are checked for everything - HIV, STD's, etc - as well as a full medical. It's mandatory and the company pays for it. However, I did have to get a check for syphilis last year before I could get a new work permit. I didn't get the explanation that Mark did, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

I always have had to get a doctor's certificate from either Phuket International or Bangkok Phuket. Lucky suckers who can just get one off of the streets!

I do think it is a good thing to be checked and know if one is positive for any type of communicable diseases.

It's just those damm needles I hate to see in general, and the bruising that occurs when they poke around your arm and cannot find your vein the first time around.

Anyways, it’s always good to know if HIV positive or not. There is still a possibility that some people can live a normal life if detected early enough.

What gets me is how come they are not doing it the same with the Thai faculty as well?

BTW: "I don't work as a teacher either"

Edited by FlyByNights

so i went looking for the clinic......found 3 different ones......all could not do it for a work permit.....went to Mission Hospital, and well impressed. Explained what i wanted, syphilis test, a few other things...........total price 285 baht. Was there about 2 hours.......left with my medical certificate.....

so i went looking for the clinic......found 3 different ones......all could not do it for a work permit.....went to Mission Hospital, and well impressed. Explained what i wanted, syphilis test, a few other things...........total price 285 baht. Was there about 2 hours.......left with my medical certificate.....

So what exactly did they do? Normally at the government hospitals you sometimes get caught waiting 1-2 hr to see the doctor for just 15 minutes.

285BHT medical with blood work, now that’s a good deal.

So was the doctor thorough or brief ? What did the examination consist of?

Please if you can, outline the procedures, it would be interesting for some of us to know.

Edited by FlyByNights

So what exactly did they do? Normally at the government hospitals you sometimes get caught waiting 1-2 hr to see the doctor for just 15 minutes.

285BHT medical with blood work, now that’s a good deal.

So was the doctor thorough or brief ? What did the examination consist of?

Please if you can, outline the procedures, it would be interesting for some of us to know.

hi, sure.............well when i arrived the place was very busy........but basically i was in and out in 2 hours with medical cert in hand. They took my blood pressure, height, weight, questions about any medical conditions....etc, eye exam............then brought straight up to have some blood taken for the test. Then told yo come back in 1 hour for results. came back one hour later, told i would have too see the doc...... waited about 15 mins for him.......confirmed no syphilis and that my blood pressure was ok........paid for everything........and I was extremely happy with the service...........

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. Syphilis is caused by a bacterium and HIV by a virus. The tests are not the same. Now, they might use the same blood to test for both, but one test doesn't cover both. And, if you're HIV+ you have to be infected with the bacterium, you don't automatically have it.

Technically, it is illegal to discriminiate against a foreigner with HIV in Thailand when it comes to getting a work permit. Of course, this is the law, but that doesn't mean they couldn't find some other reason to not hire you.