Thai Hospitals Refused To Treat 47 Cancer Patients, Says Doctor

webfact

Hospitals refused to treat 47 cancer patients, says doctor

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Health activists have called on the Social Security Office (SSO) to improve its health care services for cervical cancer after finding that 47 women diagnosed with the illness were denied treatment by six private hospitals.

All six hospitals were registered with the SSO.

Dr Phoonchai Chitanantawitthaya, an adviser to the Public Health Professional Alliance, said he conducted screening and testing for cervical cancer among 4,218 female workers in Ayutthaya province’s Bang BaIn industrial estate last year.

He found three of them had first stage cervical cancer and another 44 were detected as being at the precancer stage.

The team of health care workers started screening the 4,218 female workers on July last year and reported the test results to all of them by September.

After receiving the screening results, 47 female employees went to the six private hospitals - which were registered with SSO to receive treatment.

Phoonchai said the private hospitals refused to provide the treatment, saying they did not accept the test results by his team, even though they were conducted by the country’s leading laboratory.

"These six private hospitals told the workers they had to undergo a new screening and testing and pay Bt700 for it with their own money.

"If they were detected with cervical cancer, they would receive treatment later," he said.

The women decided to pay the Bt700 for the testing and screening - after which they were transferred to other hospitals for more testing. They then had to wait three months for the results, which agreed with the original findings.

Now the six private hospitals are refusing to treat them, saying that they don't have the medical equipment for pre or first stage cervical cancer therapy.

They can provide only a destructive treatment, which requires surgery on the cervix.

To provide treatment for pre or first stage of cervical cancer, doctors use an instrument to cut cancerous cells in the cervical area.

The employers who hired these female workers offered to donate money to buy the necessary medical instruments, but the private hospitals refused the offer, saying they had no doctors to administer the treatment.

According to the SSO, its medical benefit scheme does not cover testing and screening to detect cervical cancer. Patients have to pay their own medical bills.

If they are detected with cancerous cells, a registered hospital with over 100 patient beds must provide medication to them.

"These six private hospitals had already received over Bt2,000 per head to provide medication for eligible members. I really don’t understand what happened with the SSO’s system," Phoonchai said.

SSO increased the medical budget ceiling for cancer from Bt50,000 to Bt272,100 on April 26.

Phoonchai presented these women's cases to SSO’s medical committees and they had promised to look after them.

Finally, he had to use his personal relationship with a state hospital to help the women receive treatment.

" They had to wait over six months to receive medication to save their lives," he said.

Now, after receiving treatment, one of these women is able to get pregnant and another can go back to work.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-07

What's even more sad, and almost beyond belief is that the hospitals refused the generosity of the employers, a rare thing, in their offer to buy the necessary equipment. This would further aid women in future, and not just those mentioned.

Amazing Thailand? More like astonishing, in this case!

They obviously only want the private rates of pay, and not SSO subsidised rates. Bstds, that's all I can say. ermm.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

Medicine world wide is a business there is nothing humane about it. Drs. have to pay for medical school, hospitals have to pay for the bricks and mortar as well as the latest machine, investors demand a return on investment. Good luck finding someone init for the purely humane aspect.

• Like 1

@ chiang mai -

You are right, thank you for your frankness about Thai culture and society as it relates to the medical "profession".

I assume that it works the same way in the legal "profession." A Thai lawyer will string you along for some fees hoping that you just eventually move on to another lawyer and knowing all along that he doesn't handle your issue. If you keep paying up and get testy about actually working on the case effectively, they then tell you that it's not their specialty and give you a final bill for that admission.

• Like 1

@ chiang mai -

You are right, thank you for your frankness about Thai culture and society as it relates to the medical "profession".

I assume that it works the same way in the legal "profession." A Thai lawyer will string you along for some fees hoping that you just eventually move on to another lawyer and knowing all along that he doesn't handle your issue. If you keep paying up and get testy about actually working on the case effectively, they then tell you that it's not their specialty and give you a final bill for that admission.

Yes, not a bad analogy and doubtless there are many others, I prefer not to think about it too much else I would have to relocate back home.

Turmeric is cheap, cheerful and can assist in most Cancers. It can be bought anywhere!

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

www.healthdiaries.com/.../20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html - Cached

1 Oct 2007 – Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. It has shown promise in treating cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer's disease, obesity, psoriasis, ...

Bringing ethics into the debate means you're looking at the problem from a Western perspective and not a local one.

I would say ethics does enter into it, it is just ignored or shall we say that Thais in this case (and pretty much all others) are void of ethics.

I'm tired of the excuse that their ethics are "different." All one has to do is to look at the ethical philosophy stated in the national religion; Buddhism; more specifically Theravada Buddhism which is practiced in this country. The fourth precept states clearly that LYING is wrong, full stop.

The behavior described above and in so many other cases goes against Buddhism and its philosophy and ethics. Saying its a "cultural" thing is just an excuse. Its hard for me to believe so many people buy into it.

I agree, ---on the money side of things one example a couple of weeks ago on T.V. forum the government had outrageously given 300 officials time in Kenya, to study wildlife procedures, there were 12 wildlife wardens only amongst them, 288 other v.i.p. ???? but cannot treat these suffering acute pain being sent home ??? to die

This is very sad commentary on Thai bureaucracy and lack of concern for its own citizens. The hospitals refused to accept the lab reports, well okay. The women agreed then to pay the 700 THB for a new testing at an "approved" lab. Then the hospitals rejected the ones requiring treatment anyway. This is inexcusable.

First the private hospitals refused the lab-results, then they refused donations in order to purchase the necessary tools and eqp. Then they stated that they didn't have doctors and in the meantime, the patients were tested by these hospitals although they knew that they couldn't treat the disease.

My advise to the SSO: kick those private hospitals of the list and to the Ministry of Health........place those private hospitals under government supervision.

• Like 2

Bringing ethics into the debate means you're looking at the problem from a Western perspective and not a local one.

I would say ethics does enter into it, it is just ignored or shall we say that Thais in this case (and pretty much all others) are void of ethics.

I'm tired of the excuse that their ethics are "different." All one has to do is to look at the ethical philosophy stated in the national religion; Buddhism; more specifically Theravada Buddhism which is practiced in this country. The fourth precept states clearly that LYING is wrong, full stop.

The behavior described above and in so many other cases goes against Buddhism and its philosophy and ethics. Saying its a "cultural" thing is just an excuse. Its hard for me to believe so many people buy into it.

Lying is one thing, avoidance and excuses is another, what the hospital has done and what so many other professions here in Thailand do, is to avoid. I've seen that in too many doctors here in Thailand and it took me a while to figure out what it was all about, medical ethics here are absolutely different to the West and in many case don't even exist.

This whole business of allowing patients to go to any hospital, including their choice of private hospitals, is a non-starter in practical terms. When the queue of poor Issan farmers awaiting consultation and treatment for 70 baht at Bumrungrad stretches all the way to Asok, it will become obvious.

The patients would not be traveling long distances for treatment if the facilities were available where they lived. The private health care providers are hardly supporters of the public system. Do you honestly think that someone undergoing chemo wants to be anywhere except his or her home during such treatment? As long as there is a defined 2 tier system where the best assets are denied the public system, this problem will occur. The only solution is a national health care system for catastrophic illness with an option of additional discretionary services. Income from these services (e.g. a private room, private nursing when non essential etc.) could be used to help fund the overall public access. A nation with inadequate healthcare is a weak nation. It is deplorable and inexcusable that the poor are denied health care.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

This whole business of allowing patients to go to any hospital, including their choice of private hospitals, is a non-starter in practical terms. When the queue of poor Issan farmers awaiting consultation and treatment for 70 baht at Bumrungrad stretches all the way to Asok, it will become obvious.

The patients would not be traveling long distances for treatment if the facilities were available where they lived. The private health care providers are hardly supporters of the public system. Do you honestly think that someone undergoing chemo wants to be anywhere except his or her home during such treatment? As long as there is a defined 2 tier system where the best assets are denied the public system, this problem will occur. The only solution is a national health care system for catastrophic illness with an option of additional discretionary services. Income from these services (e.g. a private room, private nursing when non essential etc.) could be used to help fund the overall public access. A nation with inadequate healthcare is a weak nation. It is deplorable and inexcusable that the poor are denied health care.

I need health care--I am agreeing with you,smile.png

That's all well and good except for the word "if", farangs travel from all over Thailand to consult with Bumrungrad (and other BKK hospitals) despite there being ample options available locally, why, percieved quality, I can't see rural Thai's behaving differently.

Sadly it is all seems to be about money rather than caring.

What ever happened to the The Hippocratic Oath?

I don't think it's included here, if it is it's not taken as seriously as in other countries.

This whole country is about corrupt ethics and morals. You all haven't figured that out yet. It starts at the top and goes all the way to the bottom of the population. And in case you haven't figured this out, hospitals will charge different fees depending on if your a Thai without insurance, a farang without insurance, Thais with insurance, and Foreigners with insurance (highest rates). You might also want to question any Thai hospital that is quick to want to enter you in the hospital for a night, two, or three.

If we don't like it here, our only choice is to leave. All the discussion in the world will not change one things here.

Medicine aint free. Food aint free. Roof over your head aint free.

Provided your in no threat of dying right then and there while at the hospital, they don't have to do anything.

6.5 billion people want free healthcare. Did i login in to neverland.com?

Sadly it is all seems to be about money rather than caring.

In case you havn't noticed everything is about the money. This is just another example of how this government runs the country. But everybody was there at 1:30 PM for 105 tablets to be given away, even though they don't work properly.

Medicine aint free. Food aint free. Roof over your head aint free.

Provided your in no threat of dying right then and there while at the hospital, they don't have to do anything.

6.5 billion people want free healthcare. Did i login in to neverland.com?

You may have a point if, in fact, you have never benefited from free health care, Perhaps you could tell us what country you are from? If you are British, Australian, (most European countries too) then without a doubt you have received free health care. If you are from the US you might say you paid for your insurance etc., but do you have any relatives who have benefited from Medicare? Will you forgo your Medicare when you are able to claim it? By your philosophy surely you will have to......

I don't see these people looking for a free lunch; only trying to claim what the govt. has said they are entitled to.

This is very sad commentary on Thai bureaucracy and lack of concern for its own citizens. The hospitals refused to accept the lab reports, well okay. The women agreed then to pay the 700 THB for a new testing at an "approved" lab. Then the hospitals rejected the ones requiring treatment anyway. This is inexcusable.

I disagree, in this country it is quite excusable and absolutely nothing will come of this. All the while, on the way to work this morning I saw one ferrari, two porsches and more benz's I could count. I never see cars like this in the west where they are about 40% cheaper to buy.

Makes me laugh when Thais tell me this is a poor country; it is not. It is a country where everyone is out for themselves and the wealthy really don't give a rats arse about people they consider to be "beneath" them.

That is why nationalism is so important here, to trick the poor into thinking all Thais are brothers when in fact it is an excuse for the rich to screw the poor.

Well when 18-20% of the G.D.P. is stolen from the people. We can see where the money goes!

Turmeric is cheap, cheerful and can assist in most Cancers. It can be bought anywhere!

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

www.healthdiaries.com/.../20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html - Cached

1 Oct 2007 – Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. It has shown promise in treating cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer's disease, obesity, psoriasis, ...

Would you be so keen to use tumeric if it was your body being assailed by cancer?

"It has shown promise ..." It doesn't say it's a proven, effective treatment.

Edited by Scott
Flame edited out

Thailand's 2011 Man of the Year, 92 year old Dr Sommai Tongprasert, offers an affordable, extremely effective herbal cancer cure (80-95% for most forms of cancer except leukemia) that is

Thailand FDA approved and

backed by nearly half a century of clinical research and use.

There have been innumerable reports about his cancer cure in the Thai media in recent years. The Bangkok Post had some weak articles about him about a year ago and Nation Books has published three books about the man.

HRH the Crown Princess will be presenting the Man of the Year Award to Dr Sommai on 28 June. (Last years award ceremony was cancelled because of the flooding.)

A proven cure is out there. No need to put up with hospital nonsense.

At 92 years old, Dr Sommai still works every day at his fully licensed clinic in Singburi province.

What I like best is his G-Herb Capsule 1 is PROPHYLACTIC so I take it every day although I don't have cancer.

Last month Dr Sommai sent a humanitarian aid package to Serbia that included enough G-Herb Capsule 1 for therapeutic treatment of 10 cancer patients there and it is being used in that European country as well.

It is fully compatible with all other modern medicine methods of treating cancer such as chemo and radiation so no need to make any "either/or" decision.

Even better, it cuts the amount of chemo needed if that treatment method is also advisable.

Two years ago, the Western/Modern medical community and the government tried to blackball Dr Sommai.

When they totally failed to find any fault in him or his work or his cancer cure, they switched tactics and made him Man of the Year instead.

He speaks English. No patient is turned away for financial reasons EVER.

And the Government Pharmaceutical Organization also offers this herbal immune system enhancement under the brand name of PHYTOPLEX (I think that's the spelling and I don't' know how similar it is to G-Herb Capsule 1 produced by Dr Sommai himself).

Dr Sommai is one of the three best examples I have seen in my life of a true doctor who is in medicine to help people in need, puts patients FIRST and does not support the concept of healthcare for profit.

Edited by plumeria
  • Like 1