Bank Savings Interest Rates

At my KBank branch, they don't know anything too, even about their own products.

I don't ask anything, I tell them what I want according to the website. Bring iPad/smartphone.

Any serious investments should be made outside of Thailand anyway.

IF YOU HAVE FIXED SAVING ACCS.WITH BANGKOK BANK [WARNING]

yesterday me/mrs went to sort out a new fixed acc.as the one i had with bkkb.had matured monday,the wf asked the clerk why they stop tax as i am a non tax payer in thailand,showed her my thai.tax id card which has my name/address,reply everyone gets stopped tax you claim it back from the tax office this i already knew,but what she told my wf.next alarmed us both,last year bkkb said we can pick up our tax certificates at the end of the year to claim refunds for yr.2011 jan2 this is what we done,so yesterday i asked for the old bank book to see how much tax they had taken the wf.said we will bring this in at the end of the tax year31dec.2012 to get the certificate,reply oh we dont do that anymore you have to ask,yes you have to ask on the day it matures or you will not get one,the wf told her why dont you tell people this,reply you have to ask,if i had been on my own i wouldnt have found out so i would have lost 2300bht not much but 3 times a yr.it soon mounts up.now the wf has to go to scb and find out what they are doing as she has 3accs that have already matured this year,march,april and june if they tell her the same as bkkb there will be sparks as she dont like loosing money,i will post their reply unless someone beats us to it.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, as I assume it is about savings rates at Thai banks only, but has anyone researched the banks at nearby countries? I would only be interested in over 3.3% fixed in another currency (US$, A$, S$). The little research I did showed interest rates around 1% in Singapore. I am concerned that one day the THB will devalue drastically and I don't want my life savings in it if or when that happens. I currently have the bulk of my money in Bank of America at less than 1%.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, as I assume it is about savings rates at Thai banks only, but has anyone researched the banks at nearby countries? I would only be interested in over 3.3% fixed in another currency (US$, A$, S$). The little research I did showed interest rates around 1% in Singapore. I am concerned that one day the THB will devalue drastically and I don't want my life savings in it if or when that happens. I currently have the bulk of my money in Bank of America at less than 1%.

what are you looking for? there are some good fixed rates offshore 4% lloyds tsb.term 3yrs.

I am concerned that one day the THB will devalue drastically and I don't want my life savings in it if or when that happens.

I would be far more concerned about devaluation of other major currency before I would of Thailands currency, look at the fundamentals the stop worrying for no reason.

yesterday me/mrs went to sort out a new fixed acc.as the one i had with bkkb.had matured monday,the wf asked the clerk why they stop tax as i am a non tax payer in thailand,showed her my thai.tax id card which has my name/address,reply everyone gets stopped tax you claim it back from the tax office this i already knew,but what she told my wf.next alarmed us both,last year bkkb said we can pick up our tax certificates at the end of the year to claim refunds for yr.2011 jan2 this is what we done,so yesterday i asked for the old bank book to see how much tax they had taken the wf.said we will bring this in at the end of the tax year31dec.2012 to get the certificate,reply oh we dont do that anymore you have to ask,yes you have to ask on the day it matures or you will not get one,the wf told her why dont you tell people this,reply you have to ask,if i had been on my own i wouldnt have found out so i would have lost 2300bht not much but 3 times a yr.it soon mounts up.now the wf has to go to scb and find out what they are doing as she has 3accs that have already matured this year,march,april and june if they tell her the same as bkkb there will be sparks as she dont like loosing money,i will post their reply unless someone beats us to it.

I'm quite sure this is the typical crap some undereducated bank employee tells.

Don't believe everything you are told in Thailand. Just move to another person or try to find one with some minimal IQ.

I'm quite sure this is the typical crap some undereducated bank employee tells.

Don't believe everything you are told in Thailand. Just move to another person or try to find one with some minimal IQ.

that is true but they did give us the tax certificates yesterday

MB: I am looking for over 3.3% fixed for one year in a major world currency. One problem is that I am a US citizen so some banks will not accept me.

try lloyds tsb offshore i have seen on here that they have 3.?% i am sure i saw that they do it in us dollars.

I just went to Krung Thai Bank on Pattaya Klang, I was interested in the 3.3% interest for 6 Months.

Sorry no Farangs, was the reply i got.

What a palarva !

I don't see on there web site they have 3.3% for 6 months. Other thing is some deals are only for nationals. I posted before SCB will give 3.3% for 7 months if you have 1 million.

I just went to Krung Thai Bank on Pattaya Klang, I was interested in the 3.3% interest for 6 Months.

What a palarva !

I don't see on there web site they have 3.3% for 6 months. Other thing is some deals are only for nationals. I posted before SCB will give 3.3% for 7 months if you have 1 million.

I went into the Krung Thai Bank in Central festival last night, and the Clerk said 3.3% over 6 Months, Interest to be paid after one week, she worked it out on a calculator and told me 14.000 Bt for every Million. (after Tax)

What a palarva !

I went into the Krung Thai Bank in Central festival last night, and the Clerk said 3.3% over 6 Months, Interest to be paid after one week, she worked it out on a calculator and told me 14.000 Bt for every Million. (after Tax)

Well go back to-night and ask where you can open the account to place your money.

MB: I am looking for over 3.3% fixed for one year in a major world currency. One problem is that I am a US citizen so some banks will not accept me.

try lloyds tsb offshore i have seen on here that they have 3.?% i am sure i saw that they do it in us dollars.

LloydsTSB offshore best rate in $US is a fixed one year account which pays 2.8% - no idea if open to US citizens however.

LloydsTSB offshore best rate in $US is a fixed one year account which pays 2.8% - no idea if open to US citizens however.

yes 2.80% for usd,3.10% for sterling.

yes 2.80% for usd,3.10% for sterling.

I thought this thread would be for people putting money in a Thai bank account. Might as well post deposit rates for every country in the world.

• Like 1

Sorry, you are probably correct but in my defence I was responding to a question/statement.... however if you know of any better rates for $USD can you pm me? wai.gif

I thought this thread would be for people putting money in a Thai bank account. Might as well post deposit rates for every country in the world.

Perhaps we can establish a baseline of what we know, in summary, here's the products I know about:

TMB instant access 3% (expires in two months)

BAY instant access 2.9% (interest paid monthly, compounded daily)

CIMB instant access 2.75% (speed savings, means you have to spend 10k and buy a linked product)

CIMB fixed 3.3% (for five months)

Kasikorn fixed 3.25% (for six months)

Thanachart instant access 3% (minimum of 1 mill THB)

Feel free to add to the above.

Hi.

I have read all the thread, ans still don't understand one thing :

i got a crappy 3months fixed account in bkk bank at 2%/year.

But this rate only apply for new deposit made..

That means they don't calculate the rate from the whole amount deposited but only one by one, "one shot" per 3 months per deposit..

did I misunderstand something ?

what about the account from Krungsri ayuthaya. do they calculate the interest rate on the whole amount ?

Thanks

Perhaps we can establish a baseline of what we know, in summary, here's the products I know about:

TMB instant access 3% (expires in two months)

BAY instant access 2.9% (interest paid monthly, compounded daily)

CIMB instant access 2.75% (speed savings, means you have to spend 10k and buy a linked product)

CIMB fixed 3.3% (for five months)

Kasikorn fixed 3.25% (for six months)

Thanachart instant access 3% (minimum of 1 mill THB)

Feel free to add to the above.

Hi.

I have read all the thread, ans still don't understand one thing :

i got a crappy 3months fixed account in bkk bank at 2%/year.

But this rate only apply for new deposit made..

That means they don't calculate the rate from the whole amount deposited but only one by one, "one shot" per 3 months per deposit..

did I misunderstand something ?

what about the account from Krungsri ayuthaya. do they calculate the interest rate on the whole amount ?

Thanks

Fixed normally means a fixed rate for the period and often means that whatever you put in the account when you open it that is all you can put in which sounds like what you have.

There are better variable rates then that (IE the rate can be changed when the bank wants to for some reason) where you can add money whenever you want and you will get the interest on all the money you put in.

I am concerned that one day the THB will devalue drastically and I don't want my life savings in it if or when that happens.

I would be far more concerned about devaluation of other major currency before I would of Thailands currency, look at the fundamentals the stop worrying for no reason.

Parallax I agree with CM and have put my money where my mouth is. I have moved my main account from

UBS (who BTW lost $42 billion in one term in 2009) to Thailand.

When "the event" happens there may be some foreign withdrawals from the stockmarket, and that seems to have an effect on the exchange rate, but it will come back with the rice continuing to grow and fundamentals in place.

If you live here of course, you don't notice most of downward currency fluctuations if you're in baht.....unlike $ € whose drop would certainly impact you.

Cheeryble

What a palarva !

If you look at the fine print i think you will find that the 3.3% is only for the final month- the first few months are @ 0.5% and it builds up slowly. They do it this way so they can put 3.3% !! in big letters on their promo posters.

Where is the standard chartered bank in CM ?

Take the road around the moat and go clockwise, take the exit that is in the centre of the road that runs along the top of the square and head North. Stay on that road for about 2 to 3 kilo's and the SCB is on the right hand side, before you reach the ring road.

CIMB instant access account, pays 3% with interest compounded daily but paid twice a year in June and December. Minimum is 50K Baht and maximum is 1 mill. Baht, no tax deducted and the offer remains open until January - no limit or charge for withdrawls.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a krunsrii account with 500.000 bt at 2.9% but i only get 1237bt interest a month so its not 2.9% which would be 1450bt interest a month. are they ripping me off or are they stopping tax?, can i close the account or am i tied in for 1 year?? paul