The Most Cinematic Thailand Videos You'Ve Ever Seen!

Welcome to Thai Visa, we're not all nice but some of us are honest.

I have a poor connection so I have only seen the first video. It looks like you really have a passion for video and you have put a lot of thought and effort into these. I like to see Thailand through other peoples eyes, so I am looking forward to seeing the other ones. The first one doesn't really give any impression of your thoughts or your experience. It is just full of pretty shots and demonstrates you have nice equipment and much better than average video skills. It did not show any of your struggles of travel or give us any sense of being uprooted and placed in a foreign environment. It just seems like you moved from one cozy place to another, it might as well have been down the street.

That being said, it is the first in the series so some of these things might be addressed in the next segments.

I may sound harsh, but I am just offering my critique which is useless if it isn't real.

I think you are very good at the technical just need a little help with connecting us to you.

Good point. Hope the op has not been scared off already but if he is still with us it would very informative if he shared with us the trials and struggles of moving to a foreign land as some here may well be thinking of making the same move.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear 8 miles from home team,

Thank you for the nice vedeo. It is a great pleasure for us Thais to see people choose to make video about positive truth of Thailand. For your information, the word "Songkran" literary means "Moving" refering to the move of the sun to NEW YEAR. However, Song-Kam (or Song-Kram) as shown on your video means WAR.

Please apoligize for my comment if you intended to put the word "WAR".

Looking forward to watch your next one.

Edited by GoodThaiGirl

Being criticized is better than being ignored. coffee1.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed your videos 8mile, some other members have made some salient points, and I have no doubt you will have taken some of them on.

I can see the next series of videos being even better, and that's good news for us all.

Thank you very much wai.gif

ps Welcome to Thaivisa GoodThaiGirl welcomeani.gif

Edited by theblether

I moved full time to Phuket almost 3 years...also with my dog, at the time a 4 month old Jack Russell terrier. Your videos are fun and refreshing. I subscribe to Thai Forum with the hopes of other such content. Congratulations and Best Wishes.

Way too many Thai haters on a forum about Thailand.

Very hard to understand why so many posters on TV seem to hate and critize anything about Thailand. I'm referring to posts in general not just this thread.

Seems to me if you live here and don't like it, move, and for the people who want to move here but can't, stop being jealous and wasting all your time posting negative crap, work harder, save money and maybe you will be able to.

I liked the videos and took them in the spirit they were intended.

I felt though that they showed the sugary side of coming here, how its all nice and wonderful and hopefully future episodes might show some of the downsides and struggles, just to balance things out. It's not always Nirvana here.

From your videos - the car & motorbike breakdown seemed to be the only hiccup you had (so far) - surely this can't be so?

With regards your comment about the non horizontal pans and speed shifts. Most modern edits (music videos, MTV cribs, General Cinematography) contain these techniques to add interest and fall in line with the bars of music. Usually to keep the audience focused on whats important.

As someone who used to direct and edit video for a international television company.

I would like to point out constant camera movement and pointless zooms/pans is the mark of the amateur.

Yes, rules for pop videos are different, but you aren't making pop videos (or horror movies), you are making documentaries.

If you have to add movement to make a shot interesting, change the shot.

If you have to add movement to 'focus the viewer' change the script.

Look at a decent documentary, count how many pans, tracks and odd shooting angles they use ......... usually none.

Now look at an amateur video ....... get the idea!

Interesting advice from a professional. I think his particular movie is a fairly sophisticated personal Vlog rather than a serious documentary.

They're photographers using DSLR cameras. The title is believable for me as I haven't seen any other film about Thailand as enjoyable as this.

Like in all art forms, modern film makers are probably encouraged to break the rules and be different. Think outside the box, be spontaneous, use what you've got at hand etc. But knowing the rules is important too. So you can break them :)

As a matter of interest can you recommend anything on You Tube that's a good example of this kind of film. This one includes, travel, a big change of life, a dog, Thailand, an old car. Obviously they don't have resources of Journeyman.

Meanwhile, thanks for the advice you give them, i'll take it on board myself.wai.gif

Enjoyed your videos....keep them coming! If you are new to this board you will soon learn to ignore the mean-spirited drivel from some who would be far better off living elsewhere.

Boring self indulgent rubbish. Some of the cinematography is nice but I can get that on national geographic without the appalling dialogue. You two and your dog don't have a clue!

blix99 Reply 73 you mean like Jirapa Reply 74....Great timing Mr Grumpy clap2.gif

And if you think you can get work like this on National Geographic, you pay them a great compliment.

Edited by TantraMantra

Some of you guys are truly amazing.

This lovely young couple and their dog are on a great journey, one they will remember for ever and you scrutinise areas of their video expertise or their stay after a short time in Thailand.

I'm afraid you need to get a life, not one that is full of negatives.

I agree. TV amazes me at times. One poster in this thread said something like "cant wait to see you applying for work permit or visa run, another taste of reality". What a boring, misserable, uninspiring observation to make. Yeh its not all tom yam gung and temples when you actualy live here for any long period of time as I have done, but generaly speaking the "issues" that you face out here as an ex-pat are minor and insignificant. Yeh so they have to do a visa run at some point but who cares? How is that a drag? By the look of these two they will probably make a cool day out of it and enjoy it.

Im confused why so many people are having a pop at them in this thread. Its just a young couple living the dream and recording it. Whats the beef woith that? Its just harmless fun man.... So leave them be and go get a life of your own!

• Like 1

With regards your comment about the non horizontal pans and speed shifts. Most modern edits (music videos, MTV cribs, General Cinematography) contain these techniques to add interest and fall in line with the bars of music. Usually to keep the audience focused on whats important.

As someone who used to direct and edit video for a international television company.

I would like to point out constant camera movement and pointless zooms/pans is the mark of the amateur.

Yes, rules for pop videos are different, but you aren't making pop videos (or horror movies), you are making documentaries.

If you have to add movement to make a shot interesting, change the shot.

If you have to add movement to 'focus the viewer' change the script.

Look at a decent documentary, count how many pans, tracks and odd shooting angles they use ......... usually none.

Now look at an amateur video ....... get the idea!

Agree, but tracking shots can be useful where there are static scenes( buildings etc)

Enjoyed your videos....keep them coming! If you are new to this board you will soon learn to ignore the mean-spirited drivel from some who would be far better off living elsewhere.

Hear, Hear

I would have preferred a more action packed movie like somebody steals the dog and the family end up engaged with mafia and drug smugglers on a quest to get the dog back before it becomes a meal for a Vietnamese family.

But all in all a great and well done production. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boring self indulgent rubbish. Some of the cinematography is nice but I can get that on national geographic without the appalling dialogue. You two and your dog don't have a clue!

You didn't have to watch it.

From your attitude you wouldn't know a clue if you fell over one; more people than not enjoyed the series which makes you a typical TV troll.

You didn't have to watch it.

From your attitude you wouldn't know a clue if you fell over one; more people than not enjoyed the series which makes you a typical TV troll.

Well I am not a typical TV troll, and I didn't enjoy it/them, in fact your post makes you sound like a typical troll, how do you like that ?

Regarding not having to watch the video, it is quite hard to decide if you don't like a video without watching it first is it not ?

totster :D

• Like 1

Episode 6 is about J&S' first Visa Run to Tachileik in Burma. Visa Runs are an unavoidable requirement for most expats in Thailand & most people hate the experience.

However this journey had a much deeper purpose for Jmayel, whose mother is Burmese and left the country over 40 years ago during a time of war and conflict. No-one from his family unit had stepped foot on Burmese soil since that time, Jmayel & Sacha change that fact and mark a new iconic moment in their lives.

Episode 6, Visa Run to Burma will be the first glimpse into what J's family left behind.
  • Like 1

The Visa run episode like all the rest was great.

When it started I thought I was watching the start of some movie or television series, with all the cool effects and professional music.

One thing I noticed is a lot of the cam angles were shot low, maybe even pulled by a trolley shooting upward for impact, very cool indeed.

In general the whole series puts a really positive spin on travel and traveling when your young for the pure adventure of it.

As an aside to the few critics and cynics, when they get off their collective asses and shoot and post some video we'll consider their input.

Again, kudos on another great web-asode.

thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

When it started I thought I was watching the start of some movie or television series, with all the cool effects and professional music.

One thing I noticed is a lot of the cam angles were shot low, maybe even pulled by a trolley shooting upward for impact, very cool indeed.

In general the whole series puts a really positive spin on travel and traveling when your young for the pure adventure of it.

As an aside to the few critics and cynics, when they get off their collective asses and shoot and post some video we'll consider their input.

thumbsup.gif

post some video we'll consider their input.

OK so you are a Judge now are you? Where is your video?

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

That's the point,

If you don't have anything to offer (which you don't, except for arm chair directing and critcism), spare us on how it should have been done.

If you actually read you'll see I've given nothing but praise and zero critcism or advice.

But being a bit of a bull-shi_tter myself I occasionally like to sit back and listen to a pro, please continue.

dry.png

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

snapback.pngmsg362, on Yesterday, 08:24 , said:

snapback.pngcobra, on 2012-07-23 05:29:08, said:

thumbsup.gif

OK so you are a Judge now are you? Where is your video?That's the point,

If you don't have anything to offer (which you don't, except for arm chair directing and critcism), spare us on how it should have been done.

If you actually read you'll see I've given nothing but praise and zero critcism or advice.

But being a bit of a bull-shi_tter myself I occasionally like to sit back and listen to a pro, please continue.

dry.png

Edited by cobra, Today, 05:08 .

• Like This

Positive criticism can be helpful in helping people think and progress, that's what I and some others did. Praise alone, while encouraging, does not stimulate people to think and itself is a form of criticicsm. I think the OPs took positive criticisms seriously. I can read BTW so your attempt at sarcasm failed. You seem to think it is necessary to wield a video camera in order to make comments on others videos, otherwise it is not valid, yet you provide no evidence that you wield a video camera and edit but expect others to do so. So where are yours?. You are wrong in your assumption that I simply sit in an armchair, but I would not like facts to get in the way of your assumptions, they may cause confusion and upset you.

Edited to add : You commented on low camera angles and using a trolly ( dolly?) so that implies some knowledge/experience and therefore I'd expect to see some of your work posted so that I can learn from you.

Edited by msg362

Episode 7 is about the local sight seeing gems of Chiang Mai in Thailand. Worried that they may be missing out on what their own city had to offer, Sacha, Jmayel and Eden set out to explore the nearby sights and attractions of their new home town.

What they discovered was an array of beautiful temples, parks, landscapes and vibrant local markets. Some of the sights they discovered were well known, others were inspired by local knowledge and insight. The binding common factor being that they didn't have to travel for miles to experience something new...

We write detailed accounts of our adventures on our blog http://8milesfromhome.tumblr.com

If you want to know more about us you can visit us on twitter or facebook. @8milesfromhome

http://www.facebook.com/8milesfromhome
  • Like 1

Wonderful!! The best so far! Glad to see you are getting to grips with Chiang Mai and it's culture. Suggestions: take a look at Wat Jed Yod ( 7 chedis) on the north west corner on the superhighway. Very old, atmospheric. I have some aerial footage of it if you need it. I like the way I can hear your commentary ( I think you've turned the music track down!!) and fewer off horizontal shots.

Looks like you are using a Canon to do all the videoing, if so cracking!

Still have difficulty with the male voice, just like me you speak fast ( are you from London like me??)

I think it's a great advert for CM. That worries me!! Lots of people will want to come. Can you show some horrible bits next time? (THIS IS A JOKE FOR TV MEMBERS WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR!!)

Great Keep it up.

Nice, nice. but still...where are all the Thai people ? By now you must know some, the clips look like polished travel ads without the ragged edge that makes Thailand Thailand. Perhaps a dark descent into the underbelly of the northern city would be in order, before it gets all too sugary ?

Nice, nice. but still...where are all the Thai people ? By now you must know some, the clips look like polished travel ads without the ragged edge that makes Thailand Thailand. Perhaps a dark descent into the underbelly of the northern city would be in order, before it gets all too sugary ?

Good point,

You have clearly turned up the colour saturation etc, not sure it helps, Thailand is full of wonderful colours anyway, but just my point of view. The point about Thai people comes back to a point I made a long time ago. Songkran, Loy Kratong etc all have traditional meanings, now overtaken in this commercial world. Wat Chedi Luang has great ceremonies and so on. ? Try including some of those?