What You Like Doing Best On Your Farm,{Keep It Clean Ish}

Time to sit and think , kids playing in the street, with their cousins, a big moon coming over the trees. In laws, aunt and sister in law sitting on the floor in the open air area of the house eating, 2 tappers sleeping in hammocks. While I play Irish Celtic music softly, sipping an ice cold can of Leo.

There is no other place that I would rather be, unlike when I lived in the world and wished I was anyway, but where I was.

Issan will do me fine for the rest of my time. Jim

i miss your blog Jim , you have a very nice writing style ... good onya mate

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to sit and think , kids playing in the street, with their cousins, a big moon coming over the trees. In laws, aunt and sister in law sitting on the floor in the open air area of the house eating, 2 tappers sleeping in hammocks. While I play Irish Celtic music softly, sipping an ice cold can of Leo.

There is no other place that I would rather be, unlike when I lived in the world and wished I was anyway, but where I was.

Issan will do me fine for the rest of my time. Jim

i miss your blog Jim , you have a very nice writing style ... good onya mate

Big rains are coming, with them the days of house arrest and boredom. Blogging will begin again. Jim

I A - You have just restored my faith in why I live in the sticks. I've been working away from home for the past year in a resort area, but the quiet of our place, today's drama about how the FIL has offended a neighbour and now we're not invited to tonights' party, whats happened to my !!!!ing tools while I was away, whether or not to try something different -ie. growing sisal, -- its all good stuff. Coffee staring -- a great past time!

After spending 33 years in the Maritime Industry, this farming caper is a whole new world to me.

Like others here I love to start the day with a flat white coffee (brought our own espresso coffee machine with us) and if the wife hasn't got any jobs in mind for me, I might spend an hour or so on the brush cutter to cut the grass. We live on 6 rai so it's like painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge..........once you've finished, it's time to start again.

But what I like to do on the farm is having the freedom to do whatever tickles my fancy.

After reading the few posts above this one, I misread Rsquared as:

" After spending 33 years in the Marmite industry'' !!

Edited by bannork

• 2 weeks later...

Been in Thailand now for 30 odd years tried most things we have 50 rai in surin Provence poor sandy soil have tried pigs ducks chicken farming and have come to the conclusion that if your small time ie just enough to feed your self with my be a few over to trade or sell locally you won't lose or if your massive thousands of head you can make money bit if your just a small farm say 20 30 odd pigs or a couple of thousand chickens then forget it the Market is just too competitive and the Thais can get by on alot less than we do the only thing I made good money on was sheep farming I had over 300 head at one time the Thais couldn't under cut me as they didn't know the first thing about sheep the Market was good as there's normally a shortage of good lamb in Thailand and there's no expensive feed to buy

well I don't really regard myself as a farmer, I guess I'm just too lazy really so I don't like doing anything best. I been messing about with our Land for about 15 years on and off between Jobs in the UK. I have to admire you guys who really get stuck in and do a good days work on the farm. I have had quite a busy day today though. Sat here removing the last ants from my Hair after having cut down some palm fronds to feed my 4 sheep. And don't go telling me that sheep eat Grass because they eat anything but in my experience smile.png.

had to grab a few thai chickens because the wife doesn't know how, and send the MIL to market with them because they were driving the Wife crazy. So I'm probably covered in Chicken mites too. just wondering wether to take a shower but its not Friday and its cold at the moment due to the rain rolleyes.gif

Halfway through the Lamyai harvest but had to stop for the rains. I think its the first time I recall making anything on the Lamyai. maybe things are starting to payoff.

Had the Bow Saw out this morning too, but it was only a half hearted attempt to tidy up whats quickly becoming a Jungle .

I'm just thinking of visiting the Local Mosque to see if I can find someone to buy the Sheep. its almost ramadan and they should require a feast afterwards I would have thought.

And the way things are going in the UK at the moment I guess learning how to survive on the Land isn't such a bad thing.

We rented 8 rai of land this year growing cassava and that has kept us pretty busy.

I just can't imagine how difficult it is to manage a really large farm here.

I have rather neglected my small organic plot lately, but I'm back in there and sorting it out again.

I've been clearing the overgrowth and coming across the odd pumpkin that was lost in the jungle

Fingernails are filthy, but working on my organic plot is what gives me most pleasure.

I love the feel of good earth crumbling between my fingers

Thanks guys, the last few posts have made me feel good. As much as I love this life I am in, no man is an island and the last few weeks have been hard dealing with lets say some unrealistic non Thai people that have pulled me down a peg or two. Maybe I had that coming? But I sense the drive and the passion that motivate me on this thread, so humbly all I can say is thanks...

Sheep are dull and stupid creatures. Their cousins, goats, have personality and seem quite smart, at least when compared to sheep. Unfortunately they are destructive and enjoy standing on the roof of your car or truck. Fortunately for the goats, their hoof pads are soft and amazingly they don't scratch the paint. Our turkeys put really bad scratches on both the car and the truck.

I had a couple dozen goats on my sheep farm had to get rid of them though too crafty you just couldn't control them the sheep would all follow each other like well sheep really !!! But the goats would run off in all directions it was costing me a fortune them eating all the village crops the last straw was meeting an irate villager complaining that my goats had just eaten his leather shoes

I've seen both sheep and goats used on hundreds of acres to eliminate vegetation prior to planting grass seed. They eat everything to a bit below ground level! Goats will also climb trees so be aware of that.

Things sure grow well in Thailand. Here is a Mango tree we planted a little over a year ago and it is barely a year old sporting 3 large fruit that should be ready in a few weeks. It would not have stood a chance against a goat. Neither would our watermelon volunteers which are coming up by the dozens right now.

post-498-0-42543400-1342944199_thumb.jpg

3rd try and will give up. Jimpost-27270-0-38076700-1342960999_thumb.j

Jim ... the Lassies are so cute.

Your Missus must be very attractive ... don't get their genes from you ... giggle.gif

Just joking of course ... you are a lucky man.

Edited by David48

3rd try and will give up. Jimpost-27270-0-38076700-1342960999_thumb.j

Jim ... the Lassies are so cute.

Your Missus must be very attractive ... don't get their genes from you ... giggle.gif

Just joking of course ... you are a lucky man.

Sure as hell didn't get the hair genes from me. Jim

I can confirm, she's far more attractive than Jim! biggrin.png

At night on the farm: pigs snoring, crickets chirping, frogs doing whatever they are doing and me drinking a beer and gazing at thousands of stars. My dogs sleeping around mychair. Pitch dark, no cars to be heard. About to turn in and slip under my musquito netting where my beautifull wife sleaps peacefully

I am a lucky bloke. No way I amgoing back to Holland.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Well it's not one of my favourite things to do, but it helps me to justify to myself that I have indeed earned a nice cold beer. Note that this is just a small section, there's another 4 rai to be done.

Cheers.

post-151257-0-59502000-1343645528_thumb.

post-151257-0-04512800-1343645568_thumb.