Keep A Cool Head, No Coup Repeat: Thai Army Chief

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but, 700 to 800 years ago, there wasn't a Thailand. If I'm not mistaken, the country was controlled by Lao's. Either that or a bunch of different kingdoms all warring again'st each other. So, what is he talking about? Maybe that's what he is talking about, same same but different. rolleyes.gif

I may be wrong, but, 700 to 800 years ago, there wasn't a Thailand. If I'm not mistaken, the country was controlled by Lao's. Either that or a bunch of different kingdoms all warring again'st each other. So, what is he talking about? Maybe that's what he is talking about, same same but different. rolleyes.gif

Thai Sukhothai period 1238-1438 AD

http://en.wikipedia....khothai_Kingdom

over any attempts to lure the soldiers out of the barracks,

This is an interesting choice of words, which can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Who has been trying? Has anyone already tried? or there is a talk of doing it in the ranks?

I do not recall any military ever issuing a prior warning to a coup, but reading words like quoted, kind of does make some indications

Usually announcements like this mean the opposite will happen.

how long ago was it stated Thaksin would never be allowed to return?

He is just letting everyone know they are still around

Edited by waza

In no other country would the local English newspaper continuously print statements by the army that there would be no coup. Almost as if the newspaper was engendering conflict, traumatizing Thais and foreigners, and hurting the Thai economy. What other purpose could the newspaper have?

In no other country would the local English newspaper continuously print statements by the army that there would be no coup. Almost as if the newspaper was engendering conflict, traumatizing Thais and foreigners, and hurting the Thai economy. What other purpose could the newspaper have?

You don't think the Thai newspapers are reporting this? Maybe the English papers should report nice things about the country and forget about news.

Sent from my shoe phone

All three branches of power, government, legislature and judiciary, were working to overcome the political conflict, he said, calling for cool-headed rather than rash reaction.

"Thailand has passed through four phases of history lasting 700 to 800 years; if we do not uphold the law, then the country will revert back to the barbaric period dominated by 500 kinds of bandits," he said.

"All three branches of power, government, legislature and judiciary" - OK the basis of any democracy (albeit not truly independent in Thailand) - is this just lip-serice or is there a sea change in the way the Army has traditionally seen its role in the country?

" if we do not uphold the law," - what worries me here is who is "WE"???? - if this includes the army - again - how do they see their role in this?

Edited by cowslip

All three branches of power, government, legislature and judiciary, were working to overcome the political conflict, he said, calling for cool-headed rather than rash reaction.

"Thailand has passed through four phases of history lasting 700 to 800 years; if we do not uphold the law, then the country will revert back to the barbaric period dominated by 500 kinds of bandits," he said.

"All three branches of power, government, legislature and judiciary" - OK the basis of any democracy (albeit not truly independent in Thailand) - is this just lip-serice or is there a sea change in the way the Army has traditionally seen its role in the country?

" if we do not uphold the law," - what worries me here is who is "WE"???? - if this includes the army - again - how do they see their role in this?

In Thailand as he says there are the three branches of power...... the government, the legislature and the judiciary.

But all are dependent on the support of the root....which is of course the military.

Hate to say it but remembering the last coup? The only tangible effect was that schools and government offices were closed for the day. As a government teacher, it'd be a real shame if the next coup were on a Friday!

If you're British, American, Australian etc., wasn't it remarkable the the "average Joe/Jane." in Thailand didn't freak completely out that the military had just taken over and deposed the government? If the same thing had happened in the west, the public would be up in arms by the sheer audacity of notion. Here it was just "OK, no work today." and then business as usual immediately afterwards.

Edited by majhiggins
  • Like 1

I've always thought that there are four branches of government here. Royalty (executive), legislative (parliament), judicial (supreme court) and the army. Must be better than the west. It's got four instead of three.

Edited by majhiggins

To predict the future look to the past.

In the past 80 years of Thai governement there have been 18 coups (or coups attempts) that's approximately 1 coup for every 4 and half years.

Following that pattern then we'd be right on cue for another one any time soon given that the last one was 5 and half or so years ago.

Something's gotta give with the current Mexican standoff in the attempt to whitewash rewrite the consitution with neither side seeming inclined to back down and therefore I would say that a coup may be inevitible.

OK, so let's play numbers games: From 1932 to 1992, there were 17 coups (I think it was actually 18, but I'll use your number). That's a but more than a coup every 3 years. From 1993 to 2006 there has been 1 coup, or a coup every 13 years, so we're actually not 'due' for a coup for another 7 years!ermm.gif

To borrow a quote from Mark Twain (who probably borrowed it from someone else): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

• Like 1

Hate to say it but remembering the last coup? The only tangible effect was that schools and government offices were closed for the day. As a government teacher, it'd be a real shame if the next coup were on a Friday!

If you're British, American, Australian etc., wasn't it remarkable the the "average Joe/Jane." in Thailand didn't freak completely out that the military had just taken over and deposed the government? If the same thing had happened in the west, the public would be up in arms by the sheer audacity of notion. Here it was just "OK, no work today." and then business as usual immediately afterwards.

I remember the bar girls dancing on the tanks, everything else was same same.

Finally, a Thai leader who makes sense. I hope he means it. A coup will just set the country back further then it already is and hurt busines and tourism, which is still realing from the airport closings and demonstrations in the streets by both the yellow and red shirts. Please, alittle common sense and a drive towards TRUE democracy.

dont agree nothing can be worse IMO than letting Taksin get his way I and others pray for army to put a stop permanently to that megalomanic and his clan and then after 5 years or so Thailand can move on without a major civil war

• Like 1

Finally, a Thai leader who makes sense. I hope he means it. A coup will just set the country back further then it already is and hurt busines and tourism, which is still realing from the airport closings and demonstrations in the streets by both the yellow and red shirts. Please, alittle common sense and a drive towards TRUE democracy.

dont agree nothing can be worse IMO than letting Taksin get his way I and others pray for army to put a stop permanently to that megalomanic and his clan and then after 5 years or so Thailand can move on without a major civil war

Famous last words?

“We have received confirmation from all sources that the rumor of a coup is not true. The rumor was spread by some faction, but it is not true,” - Thaksin Shinawatra

Famous last words?

“We have received confirmation from all sources that the rumor of a coup is not true. The rumor was spread by some faction, but it is not true,” - Thaksin Shinawatra

This whole thing hinges on Thaksin being alive.

Have a hard time understanding how it could have got to this point. Just one mans greed and a army of uneducated people being led by for hire mercenaries.sad.png

• Like 1

Not much point in having a democracy, if the courts can't be seen to be utterly impartial.

If the courts aren't impartial then it isn't democracy.

It seems that many posters are eager to voice an opinion but don't have even a basic grasp of what a constitutional democracy might be and how this reflects on Thailand in particular political demonstrations.

It's not a competition or a sport - this is a country that has been treading a line between dictatorship and democracy for too long. THe "red Shirts" are not the problem - they may be a symptom but that's it. Whilst large sections of the population see themselves as disenfranchised and the army thinks they are the ones in charge no progress can be made.

Bear in mind too that the "opposition" or Democrats have never won an election yet.

Edited by cowslip

Not much point in having a democracy, if the courts can't be seen to be utterly impartial.

It seems that many posters are eager to voice an opinion but don't have even a basic grasp of what a constitutional democracy might be and how this reflects on Thailand in particular political demonstrations.

It's not a competition or a sport - this is a country that has been treading a line between dictatorship and democracy for too long. THe "red Shirts" are not the problem - they may be a symptom but that's it. Whilst large sections of the population see themselves as disenfranchised and the army thinks they are the ones in charge no progress can be made.

Bear in mind too that the "opposition" or Democrats have never won an election yet.

The Army is not the long term issue just as Thaksin and the Red Shirts are not the issue. The issue is the level of corruption and lawlessness by most all Thai's and the acceptance of it in Thai society. Solve that and all the rest will fall into place, including the Army who must be getting bloody sick of having to clean up the mess all the time.

The Army is not the long term issue just as Thaksin and the Red Shirts are not the issue. The issue is the level of corruption and lawlessness by most all Thai's and the acceptance of it in Thai society. Solve that and all the rest will fall into place, including the Army who must be getting bloody sick of having to clean up the mess all the time.

You're putting the cart before the horse - It is precisely the army that prevents a functioning democracy and gives rise to the unacceptable levels of corruption that pervade every institution and transaction in Thai society

Edited by cowslip

Some interesting historical stuff re Thailand's ongoing political turmoil......lots of good links too

http://en.wikipedia....r_1976_Massacre

would be nice if some posters brushed up on their history BEFORE posting.

History is an analysis of the past - not a s many seem to think a listing of events in chronological sequence. Hence my question about how many foreigners the army has killed against how many Thais. It isn't the "facts" it's what you make of them.

Edited by cowslip