Almost Daily Beating Of Kids In School

galvheim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like rude unruly children of any description but I am able to discipline my own children with words and other relevant punishments.

I dont advocate hitting and I most certainly wouldnt allow any school to slap my children. I was beaten a number of times whilst being educated in Thailand, very very suspect times in those Catholic schools

Children are individuals and all this short hair malarky is quite laughable, cant quite get my head around it myself.

kids have to be protected from abuse wherever it comes from...none of my kids are fcukups so that if there is any corporeal punishment at school then I want to know the reason...when I was a kid the teachers abused the kids with impunity and they deserved to be in prison...ain't no one gonna get away with the same bullshit on my watch...

(with a hickory baseball bat, tobacco juice and a snarl...and then: 'uncle bubba?... kin we have some money to go get some ice cream?' 'sure, my little darling, sure...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

hey...how does 'bubbawarrior' sound rather than 'tutsiwarrior'?...the change would remove all ethnic and tribal African considerations (never been to Africa meself) and present the image of a simple american redneck in a dirty t-shirt and a sweat stained ball cap chewing tobacco and menacing with a hickory baseball bat...but it's been my handle fer nearly 10 years and may be hard to shake...

lets start a poll...where's JT?

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

We have had discussions about this before in tv.

It is against the law to physically hit a child at a school. The law also shoots down the well used "parental" exemption that schools use to justify the beatings.

At my school, it is done in stereo. The classroom to the left and the right somehow coordinate the daily bamboo sticks and off it goes. It makes Dolby 7.1 a 300 year old technology by the sounds made.

Into my 4th. year of writing a book about teaching here, and not finished yet, but, I can upload the Thai law, both in Thai and in English, for anyone interested.

Last year, two student teachers, on leave from the local uni, came to class. On the first day, there they are, with one bamboo stick each!

On a side note, at the beginning of every term, first day of class, my wife has a Thai to Thai talk with the teacher about hitting our son. WE discipline him, not them.

After the first week is passed, my wife mentions, in passing, that I would go ballistic with them if son is hit. She always comes home laughing, telling me their reaction to what she tells them.

• 2 months later...

I have been in enough thai schools to know that so long as i have a say, none of my kids will ever attend any thing more than kindergarten.

the teachers are bad enough, the other pupils will have your smart, well balanced kids self harming, drinking and smoking in no time!!

id rather home school than put them through that here...

My son has been to a local school for 1 semester last year, since I thought it was more convenient to have a school nearby.After the first week I noticed when I picked him up that at the flag salute, in the hot sun at the end of the school day, a few teachers walked around with a long cane( and covering their head gainst the sun with an umbrella at the same time).Then I also noticed that in his classroom his teacher kept a long cane.

So when I inquired him about, he said that those canes were used on a daily base, including on him.

The next day I had a conversation with the headmaster about this issue and that I wanted to report it to the board of education, and they said that they knew it was wrong but that I should accept it since this was Thai style and the teacher was reaching retirement age so, yai yen yen.

At that point I made them an offer they couldn't refuse, and which could be heard all over the school grounds, and for the rest of the semester the cane would never been used on my son again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is all very interesting. I will ask a few people if this happens at my step-daughter's school. It's a small elementary school about 70 kids, and several foreigners have their child or step-child there. I've never seen my daughter with any marks on her body when she came home.

Fortunately I was never abused as a child.

As a result I don't abuse children as an adult.

I see others on here are different.

OP, This is Thailand and the Thai way. You have no option other than make things worse by making Thais lose face, or move to a proper educational system.

This teacher seems pretty keen:

Unfotunately it's very easy to see the sadistic nature of people here when they are in authority. This 'man' clearly thrives on the power he has and needs to abuse and hurt those he has power over. Very common in this society and region as a whole. :(

The next day I had a conversation with the headmaster about this issue and that I wanted to report it to the board of education, and they said that they knew it was wrong but that I should accept it since this was Thai style and the teacher was reaching retirement age so, yai yen yen.

At that point I made them an offer they couldn't refuse, and which could be heard all over the school grounds, and for the rest of the semester the cane would never been used on my son again.

Go on....

Discipline is one thing.....beating them is another.

I agree with you. Someone here thinks like our children are dogs.

Children go to school to get a knowledge, concerning a discipline, I think it should have been better getting some money of parent as a fine for misbehaving of their children. Then I think parents will find a way to sort out this problem.

I know of a school that gives detention to kids and one parent has to go as well ! lol ..... It seems to work very well.

Detention for parents, what a great idea!

Fantastic, it's got to work...........Sort of "whipping-dads"!!

You could sign to agree to it as a condition of your child's acceptance.......

ps: leather strapped at junior school in Australia, caned and slippered in an English Grammar School, and the physics master used the rubber gas hose from a Bunsen burner on one boy (only one occasion, he was a PhD actually). Commando-like extreme demands from the sports master Jock Galloway.

I was actually beaten every single morning one term by my young form master.....it became a point of honour that I wouldn't give in. I guess that was some sort of character formation, not sure what sort.....

Edited by cheeryble

As I stated earlier, on the first day of school, my son´s teacher is given a little speech about his father not liking son being slapped with anything. And she gracefully and with a big smile, hands the teacher the Thai law where it specifies that it is child abuse.

At that moment, she wais to the teacher, leaves the school and cracks up with laughter when she comes home.

And to the poster who requested we move to another educational institution. Some of us cannot afford to or are unable to move them to an intl. program or a better EP school. We do a lot of home schooling in addition to what the school gives and teaches.

Anyways, a speech at the beginning and middle of a term is enough to get things straight and avoids that famous loss of face to the teacher, and a bruised knuckle on my hand.

I got disciplined with a cane, slipper, lumps of chalk, even a blackboard duster.

I wish to thank those teachers that in the end showed me the errors of my ''silly'' ways. clap2.gif

I am glad you got a positive experience out of it but for some of us this has actually hurt and hindered our adult life.

Receiving physical disciplining is not for everyone.

^ You mean that being physically assaulted and beaten by someone twice/trice the size of you, and being constantly reminded of such, can cause psychological issues in children?

I find this theory hard to believe. :rolleyes:

I got disciplined with a cane, slipper, lumps of chalk, even a blackboard duster.

I wish to thank those teachers that in the end showed me the errors of my ''silly'' ways. clap2.gif

You must have attended the same school I went to, We even had one teacher who regularly used a small cricket bat.

Our school was situated in a poor northern city,yet as far as I'm aware none of the pupils ever got into trouble with the police.

Visited the school earlier this year,now of course they do not have physlcal punishment, instead the school grounds are now well and truly fenced of, with security guards patrolling the school and grounds,I believe this is to ensure the safety of the teachers and staff. Daily visits from the cops with many of the pupils already having made an appearance in the local court.

Not all of the problems with these present day kids can be attributed to the no physical punishment rule, parents should bear the biggest responsibility, however I certainly think that the present day law does not help.

I had two son's in my first marriage in the Uk, when the eldest was naughty, all i had to do was slightly raise my voice and tell him of,this was sufficient, but with the youngest, this approach would have had him in hysterics, mostly I gave him a clip around the head,but on occasions I had to resort to using a belt on him. They where and are two completely different people,

Thankfully they have both grown up to be hard working and law abiding citizens.

It is quite a egular thing here for children to come home with parts of their hair shaved right down, just bits here and there and done in front of the rest of the class with an electric razor..

This is because the teacher considers the hair is long. They do not get a warning a day or two beforehand to get their hair cut.

This to me is humilation of the child and assault but as I have said it is common practise in state schools where teachers like the power.

Another time my neice (14yr old) forgot to take her sports wear on the first day back at school after a weeks holiday. She was not the only one as two other girls did the same. They were made to come out in front of the class lean over a chair then the teacher lifted up their skirts displaying their underwear to the class, then hit them over the bottom with a belt 4 times.Big red marks on her bottom but thankfully no skin broken.

Discipline within reason is fine but in this day and age this is totally wrong. Unfortunately the parents do not complain so it will continue, but I fear that if parents do just stand back then bullying teachers will go too far and cause a child real harm.

Another time my neice (14yr old) forgot to take her sports wear on the first day back at school after a weeks holiday. She was not the only one as two other girls did the same. They were made to come out in front of the class lean over a chair then the teacher lifted up their skirts displaying their underwear to the class, then hit them over the bottom with a belt 4 times.Big red marks on her bottom but thankfully no skin broken.

If this girl was my daughter, I can assure you that this particular teacher would have similar red marks the very next day.............on his face.

If this girl was my daughter, I can assure you that this particular teacher would have similar red marks the very next day.............on his face.

And you would be in the right,But in no time at all you would be on a aircraft out of the country.

I went to a school in east London in the mid 50s and mid 60s caning was the normal punishment, teachers canned on the hand and the head master caned the bottom. I was on average caned once a week and deserved every one of them, without this check on our behavior we would have been out of control like the kids of today, no respect for people or property.

I remember the name of every teacher that caned me and hold no ill feeling or grudge against them doing their job.

i have worked in many schools in Queenland and seen first hand the disrespect the staff have to put up with from these and the helplessness of the staff to do anything about it apart from time out or suspendsion for a few days and these kids love that spend the time at the Mall or gaming rooms. Bring back the basics to education, and the old saying is right "spare the rod and spoil the child"and the last thing I would do and go home and tell my dad he would give me another whack for being a little shit at school and I loved him dearly he was a great Dad.

I grew up a decent person not addicted to violence or anything else for that matter and brought my 4 kids up the same way and they have never been any trouble

• Like 2

A teacher tried to hit me once at school because my shoes were scruffy. I actually used to box in my youth and as he went to slap me I hit him square in the nose twice breaking it in the process. He never tried that again and in fact he never taught in that school again after that.

I'm going to go against the grain here. Parents should be disciplining the kids, not the teachers. In a foreign country though the variables may be different. Perhaps speak to some of the other kids parents and see how they feel. If there are enough if you who disagree with these actions then take action.

Yes I totally agree with you.

However I see the main problem here is the Thai culture. Government workers, Doctors, teachers, bank staff etc ae all treated by the rural Thais, who ae mainly farmers and poor, as way above them. You only have to watch the interaction between them and how they act so subservant. Ok one should respect another but it should have nothing to do with the money or the position they hold but as to how they conduct themselves.

These teachers believe they are up their with the Gods and can do anything they want. If one should complain then there would be all sorts of repurcussions for the child, so no one does anything. Some (not all) are just down right bullies who like to show their superiority.

To me I have more respect for the old man who pushes his cart for many kms a day picking up empty bottles, plastic and cardboard etc to sell so he can eat. He is not only trying to care for himself but taking away some of the rubbish the Thai's like to throw anywhere except in a bin.

Respect is what one earns it is not a right..

A teacher tried to hit me once at school because my shoes were scruffy. I actually used to box in my youth and as he went to slap me I hit him square in the nose twice breaking it in the process. He never tried that again and in fact he never taught in that school again after that.

I'm going to go against the grain here. Parents should be disciplining the kids, not the teachers. In a foreign country though the variables may be different. Perhaps speak to some of the other kids parents and see how they feel. If there are enough if you who disagree with these actions then take action.

Hope your proud of yourself,