Changing To White Plates

As already said on another thread you should have the plates for a new vehicle within 30 days from the dealer you purchased the vehicle from.

Quote from Trans :-

If not at the 30 days period you should go along to your DLT where the road tax was paid and show them the papers for the vehicle and get an official note stating ''awaiting'' plates to show the cops if a problem.

If the dealer supplied you with red (trader) plates, then the same dealer had filed the registration paperwork with the LTO. The white plates, when issued, will be delivered to the dealer. The dealer will then contact you to bring the truck in so the red plates can be returned and the white plates fitted, or they may opt to make a visit to your home and do it there.

I have been waiting for plates for 2 months. We were not even given red plates. Have a letter from dealer but have not been stoped by police. Even travelled from Phayao to Mae Sai through police checks but just waved on.

Yes, the law does state that the red plates are only supposed to be valid for 30-days maximum. But, for as long as I can remember, getting the white plates within this 30-day period is unlikely. Even moreso with the recent problems with the paint on white plates.

I bought a CR-V in late 2008 and the dealer was 'out' of red plates as there's a yearly allocation of these by the LTO. It took almost 5 months to get the white plates and never had any issues locally with the police. If the dealer sells more units than his red plate allocation, you go without, regardless of what the law says. Some dealers will give you a letter in case the police stop and ask. The police can either waive you through, ask for a shake-down (nominal 300 baht or so) or be pricks and expect you to pay the 'official' fine for an un-plated vehicle of 7000 baht.

I bought a Ranger XLT end of April and there were no red plates available. I did a road trip to Pattaya and Rayong and was only shaken down once (by Bangkok cops wanting 7000 baht) and was waived through 4 other police check points. I hassled the dealer for red plates as I was making another trip to Bangkok and these have been on the truck for about 3 weeks now. No word from the dealer to come in for the white ones yet.

The other thing to note is red plates are only supposed to be used between 6 am and 6 pm, come with a log book in which the driver needs to complete prior to each road trip. Since I had the red plates on the truck, I have only been pulled aside 3 times and only once did the cop ask for the log book.

At all times, have about 600 baht in red bills stashed behind the sun visor; this applies for no plates, red plates and white plates btw!

Edited by NanLaew

I have been waiting for plates for 2 months. We were not even given red plates. Have a letter from dealer but have not been stoped by police. Even travelled from Phayao to Mae Sai through police checks but just waved on.

Letter from a dealer is useless. sad.png

If he doesn't do as advised maybe he will come on let us know how much the fine was if he does end up getting pulled.:D

If the dealer supplied you with red (trader) plates, then the same dealer had filed the registration paperwork with the LTO. The white plates, when issued, will be delivered to the dealer. The dealer will then contact you to bring the truck in so the red plates can be returned and the white plates fitted, or they may opt to make a visit to your home and do it there.

You must follow up the dealer as sometimes they have the white plates and omit to call you that they are ready for collection - TIT

If he doesn't do as advised maybe he will come on let us know how much the fine was if he does end up getting pulled.biggrin.png

When iI do I will. Been onto the dealer again today and waiting for phone call back. We have to drive to Chiang Rai on Wednesday. We return on Saturday so I will probably be letting you know on Sundy