Fishing At Bungsamaran

harry1

Hi

Will be coming over to stay in Bkk for a month in August,as a lover of fishing i have been looking at the Bungsamaram resort for a spot of day fishing,or maybe stay a week end if not to pricey,just wondering if anyone has fished there recently as most of the blogs are out dated

price-tips on bait-rod set up,what part of lake to fish as looks massive on internet,mainly interested in the siamese carp.but any monster fish would make my holiday,whats the quality of bar and resturant like,everything and anything really as never been

many thanks if anyone could give some advice

http://www.bungsamran.com/en/

Fishing for the day is 1000 Baht with no work permit (400 for Thai nationals and foreigners with a WP).

Add a rental rod, bait, renting a net, a few snacks and you can be all in for less than $100 USD.

If you're there for just a day, I'd recommend a guide (hire at the front desk for 1000 Baht), at least for you first day, and especially if you're looking to catch anything besides the huge catfish. Not 100% necessary if you're on a tight budget- other guys on the dock will usually offer plenty of help.

Head over to the Fishing in Thailand forum on this site for much more info. It's dated, but not much has changed...

I highly recommend fishing in BSR- you'd be hard pressed to find a similar experience anywhere in the west, and nothing anywhere close to the price per pound of fish you can catch.

Tight lines.

Edited by impulse

IMHO

I have fished Bungsamran several times and would say that I a pretty experienced at the sport in general. I have fished it alone but that the best fishing I ever had was my first experience at this water with the Helios "team". Expensive by Thai standards but worth every penny and in particular if you are on a tight time schedule. We were there when it was packed out but got a great cabin - much better gear than is available for hire there normally (getting distance casting very heavy weights is important - I do all my own casting and rigging but to the guides recommendation. We had a top local guide and assistant for the whole day and were picked up and dropped off from hotel. Food and drink from the restaurant are delivered to you. All baits are provided as is all gear. I think it worked out at about the same price per person as going on a charter boat for a days bottom bouncing here in Australia - shared with 20 others and catching little other than sunburn and seasick. Difference is we caught so many big fish I was in agony with a bad back for days after. I got a Mekong Cat of 104lb but saw one foul hooked that weighed in at 137lb. So. if like me you want a lifetime experience and you really are going to have aone go at it I would say pay your money and give yourself the best chance you can of a great experience.

Jean-Francoise Helios is a world class fisherman and he and his wife are great people: have a look at their site.

http://www.anglingthailand.com/

I have no assosiation or interest with their operation and do not know them except for that single and most memorable day.

However, if I had the funds I would spend every day fishing with Jean-Francoise in the SW Asia area and at Gillham's -Krabi. http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/ Again, I have no connection with Gillham's other than they gave me some great fishing experiences.

Hope this helps.

Hi my name is Stuart Gillham owner of Gillhams Fishing Resorts Krabi, please take 10 minutes to visit our web site. I would be pleased to send you a price to fish here our email is also on the web site.

If you let me know how many nights accommodation you require and for how many people, also how many days fishing and for how many people I will be happy to send you a quotation. We have a promotion running at the moment, through to October the 1st and can offer discounted prices to those on our web site. All our prices include free transfers from and return to the following areas; Krabi airport, Krabi town, Ao-Nang, Nopparat Thara, Ao-Nammao, Klong Muang and Tubkaak.

We have 48 different big fish species from around the world, six different species exceed 100lb with fish over 400lb. Gillhams freshwater fishing lake holds at least 16 attainable IGFA world records. The top six specie are; Arapaima gigas 480lb, Chao Phraya catfish 130lb, Giant freshwater stingray 250lb, Mekong catfish 300lb, Siamese carp 160lb, wallago leeri 110lb. With many other big fish species from around the world several of which are rapidly approaching 100lb, We hold the current IGFA world records Mekong catfish 260lb, Chao Phraya catfish 121lb and the mrigal carp 17lb 6oz.

The fishing includes the use of two Free Spirit 10ft 6lb Tc fishing rods per angler, with Shimano long cast baitrunner reels. Solar rod pod and electronic bite alarms, all end tackle and reasonable amount of bait (5kg pellet, 1 kg maze and 1/2 kg fish.) Additional bait can be purchased at a reasonable price, we supply an English speaking guide who will assist you to the level required.

The resort has 14 two bedroom air conditioned bungalows set 12 meter from the 9 acre lake which is set in 7 acres of tropical gardens. We have on site a large infinity swimming pool over looking the lake which is for the exclusive use of guests staying at the resort. We have a large restaurant and pub overlooking the lake serving a full English and Thai menu. Our bungalows have 2 separate bedrooms and one bathroom. The 2nd bedroom can only be booked with the 1st bedroom by family or friends of the booking party keeping the bungalow and bathroom totally exclusive to them and their family. There is a lockable door from both bedrooms to the hall joining the private bathroom. This keeps both bedrooms private as they also both have separate front doors. When the front bedroom only is booked the rear bedroom is locked and never let out by us. The front bedroom has a double bed, TV with four English and four Thai channels with DVD and wall safe.2nd bedroom (own separate front door) has 2 single beds and a shared bathroom with the front bedroom. Please visit our web site to view the bungalow set up.

All rooms have air con, ceiling fans and fridge with mini bar.

Please also look at the reviews on Trip Advisor for us, we have just been awarded the Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor for 2012.

We hope to hear from you soon, should you have any questions please email via the web site.

Regards,

Stuart.